Gibson Brands Forums

Any suggestion on how to remove a stain?

Thermo

Hi guys,

I have a 2009 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power edition, white. I kept my guitar for a while on a guitar stand, so the back of the guitar was sitting on this rubber/foam support. After a while, I saw a yellow discoloration/oxidation of the nitro where the guitar was touching this foam. (please see the pic). Anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions on how to remove this yellow stain?

Thanks in advance.

post-82677-030790000 1487398984_thumb.jpg

That stain is likely not a stain but most likely the result of a chemical reaction between that foam or rubber on the stand and the nitro lacquer finish of the guitar (like the foam was melting the finish). I would not use that stand any more for that guitar. Since the damage is only on the back of the guitar, I wouldn't worry about it but I wouldn't let it get any worse by using that stand. If it really bothers you, take it to a local shop that has a good reputation for finish repairs.

Store your guitar in its case mot of the time when not in use instead of having it on a stand. If you really want it out on a stand most of the time, find a stand that is made from materials that do not react with you guitar's finish. I personally use Hercules stands and they have what they call their proprietary SFF material (special foam formula or something) and I have never had any issues with any of my Gibsons with a nitro finish or any other guitar for that matter. (I know some people don;t like these overpriced stands but they work for me.)

WadeR hit it on the head.

Chemical reaction between stand-foam and nitro-finish.

There ARE nitro-safe stands available but if you really need to use that stand for the time being then the simplest solution would be to wrap clean 100% cotton (ripped-up t-shirt or whatever) around the areas where it touches the guitar.

Pip.

Another thing to keep in mind. Feel each spot on the guitar that has been discolored by the stand to see if it is sticky or gummy. If so, I would leave the guitar out in the open in such a way that those spots do not touch anything for a few days to a week to see if those spots harden back up. If they do harden back up on their own, then you are likely safe to put it into the case or back on the stand (with contact points wrapped with a white or light-colored cotton rag or t-shirt). But while it is sticky or gummy, I wouldn't let it touch anything. If it doesn't harden in a week (or maybe two), see a local luthier or guitar repairman with a good reputation for finish repairs to see how to proceed.

I got rid of the stand right away...

The guitar is back in the original gig bag, the inside material is white ... so there is no blue t-shirt :rolleyes:

The yellow stain is not sticky or gummy, the discoloration is actually underneath the clear coating ...

Did a bit more research, it seems to be a common problem of the white nitro finish ... Oh well, I am going to have to live with it...

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

PS. Already asked Monica, she said her speciality are stains caused by Cuban cigars ... [biggrin]

Archived