Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (Non-Gibson)

Bozz

This guitar arrived at my door step two months ago. After seeing several recent non-Gibson NGD postings, I finally decided to share it here.

It's a Martin Custom Shop 000 with a combination of 28 style and Authentic series appointments. Swiss Spruce over Sinker Mahogany. 1 3/4" nut with 2 3/16' String Spacing, Short Scale, Modified Low Oval neck with Performing Artist taper, Ebony fingerboard, Waverly Tuners.

Its look and feel reminds me of a vintage guitar. It's light, weighing in at 4 pounds even. Tone is balanced, deep and rich, with nice volume. I'm looking forward to seeing how it opens up over time.

IMG_5433_zps9nnh3bww.jpg

IMG_5460_zpshzjumegy.jpg

IMG_5461_zpsshhibrcx.jpg

IMG_5456_zpsw2eirlv5.jpg

IMG_5454_zpssbhij984.jpg[/url

IMG_5453_zpsuqbowyrw.jpg

Beautiful. But go ahead- let the grass grow over the spikes and edging for the pavers; it'll soften the look a bit.

Love the rocks and landscaping.

Oh- the guitar- ____right: Simple. Elegant. As long as Martin keeps building things like these, they can go ahead and release some of the crazy or overly ornate models from time to time.

Sal's right: you NGD'ed- so now let's hear it!

Very nice. There's many members who appreciate good guitars regardless of who made them and quite a few member's have Martins including me.

Nice of you to introduce us to your new acquisition without feeling the need to bash the host of this forum. Too much of that going on here lately.

Fine looking guitar. If it sounds as sweet as it looks you''ll be smiling for a long long time. I have a few Martins myself and they don't get much rest. I like the appointments on your new one. They add an extra touch. Well done.

Beautiful. But go ahead- let the grass grow over the spikes and edging for the pavers; it'll soften the look a bit.

Love the rocks and landscaping.

Oh- the guitar- ____right: Simple. Elegant. As long as Martin keeps building things like these, they can go ahead and release some of the crazy or overly ornate models from time to time.

Sal's right: you NGD'ed- so now let's hear it!

Haha. Thanks for the gardening tip.

Very nice. There's many members who appreciate good guitars regardless of who made them and quite a few member's have Martins including me.

Nice of you to introduce us to your new acquisition without feeling the need to bash the host of this forum. Too much of that going on here lately.

I'm definitely not a Gibson basher. If my house is burning down I'm running out the door with a J45 under my arm.

That's beauty! Love the specs as well. They mirror what I had done on my recent custom 000. Did you find it that way or was it built for you? Play it in good health!

Thanks. No, I did not have it built. I searched around for the specs I was after.

That combination of specs can be difficult to find. I finally gave up and had one built..

It would be nice to have one built exactly the way you want it. It looks like yours turned out great. I love that Amberburst. I have a similar burst (Iced Tea) on one of mine.

013_zps4wdcbs9p.jpg

That's a beauty , too! So, where did you find your 000? The pics look like The Music Zoo or Wilcutt Guitars.

I found the guitar online at Sam Ash. It was in their 'Guitars of Distinction' collection where they have a pretty nice bunch of hand selected, one of a kind guitars that are stored in controlled environment and not handled or played by anyone. I became interested in Sinker Mahogany after seeing a Tony Polecastro review of what I thought was an incredible sounding Sinker D-42 a few years back. My neck and shoulders don't get along well with large guitars anymore, so I had been keeping an eye out for a 000 in Sinker Mahogany. When I saw this one I was immediately interested. My other guitars have mostly come from small local shops and I had never bought one from a place like Sam Ash. They don't have Sam Ash stores here in Oregon, so I don't know much about them. But after doing a little research, I felt like this was one I didn't want to pass up. And thankfully it worked out great. I just got it back from being set up by my luthier. Action was a little high for my taste out of the box. It's now 7 & 5 at the 14th fret and playing great!

I took the pics after I got it. They are not from the dealer. Theirs were definitely better.

I found the guitar online at Sam Ash. It was in their 'Guitars of Distinction' collection where they have a pretty nice bunch of hand selected, one of a kind guitars that are stored in controlled environment and not handled or played by anyone. I became interested in Sinker Mahogany after seeing a Tony Polecastro review of what I thought was an incredible sounding Sinker D-42 a few years back. My neck and shoulders don't get along well with large guitars anymore, so I had been keeping an eye out for a 000 in Sinker Mahogany. When I saw this one I was immediately interested. My other guitars have mostly come from small local shops and I had never bought one from a place like Sam Ash. They don't have Sam Ash stores here in Oregon, so I don't know much about them. But after doing a little research, I felt like this was one I didn't want to pass up. And thankfully it worked out great. I just got it back from being set up by my luthier. Action was a little high for my taste out of the box. It's now 7 & 5 at the 14th fret and playing great!

I took the pics after I got it. They are not from the dealer. Theirs were definitely better.

You did a good job on the pics. I have seen those Sam Ash guitars on eBay as well as Gbase, etc. I guess the ads are customized for the viewer's location. Every one of those high end custom examples were listed as being available in the Tampa store. I went over there hoping to play a couple only to find out they were somewhere else altogether. That pissed me off. Anyway, that guitar is a real beauty and I feel you re: neck/shoulder intolerance for larger guitars. Getting older brings about a real reckoning.

Archived