Gibson Brands Forums

SG questions

merciful-evans

Stuff about the SG I don’t know, but would like to. I’ve only handled SGs a couple of times.

1/ Horns. In the 60’s & 70s I always thought that they were of equal length (mirror imaged about the centreline), but now notice the upper horn is longer. Have they always been like this? Were they ever symmetrical?

2/ Horn taper/bevel. As many times as Charlie Brown points this out, I can’t see any differences. It is something to do with the chamfer angle? Or convergence point?

3/ Pickguard. Which one is the batwing? Large or small?

4/ Is it only the Special that comes with 24 frets?

Thanks

I believe the horns have been longer on the upper for the entire run of the sg guitars. The 1970 sg guitars on the horns they are not beveled as much from the top of the bevel to down toward the neck joint. Bat wing is the large guard. There are a couple of other sg's that have the 24 fret set up. One is a standard with the large guard. I believe the 1970s have a 24 fret length as well because of the pick up placement is different from the previous years models such as the standard 1960's. I am sure some of the other members will chime in as well.

SG's have always had "offset" horns. What's changed (back and forth) over the years, is the width and depth of the

beveling, body and horn areas, and horn tapering (more toward a narrower tip), than say today's "SG Traditional."

The HP models have more the old '60's style beveling and horn tapering, whereas the T models, have gone back to

the slightly narrower beveling and much less tapering, if any. The "Batwing" pickguard is the larger!

Batwing pickguard (in white, this time) shown on my 2013 "Captain Kirk" SG Custom.

96c57338-a6bc-4d4f-8b6f-3c026e5ae8bc_zpsuurdpy7r.jpg

It also has the '60's style beveling and horn tapering, as well.

With the '60's beveling and horn tapers, the body beveling was wider and the horn area bevels were deeper, often

touching the pickguard, on the lower bout. There was no beveling on the back of the lower horn, but a substantial

amount, on the back of the upper horn. Both horns had tapered ends, but often the upper horn had a bit more, making

it narrower in appearance.

My 2013 SG "Original" as example of the '60's style deeper wider bevels, especially in the horns area, right up to the pickguard, on the lower bout:

DSC_0768.jpg

The back area beveling: Notice there's no bevel on the "small" lower horn, but a fair amount,

on the longer, upper horn. And, how they both come to more of a taper, than the current T series

SG's. (2013 "Captain Kirk" SG Custom)

DSC_93371_zps43f651c8.jpg

Also, you may notice that the body taper slants down, toward the neck pocket. This was common, in the early 60's, as well.

CB

OK got it! Thanks guys.

CB, your pics have finally nudged the penny to drop re: bevels.

On Gibson.com, I still had to go back & forth several times on the 'T' and 'HP' to see this. Its subtle, but I agree, the deeper bevels look nicer!

The last SG I tried was the Custom I played last year, though the exchange never took place in the end.

[thumbup]

Those early Norlins may look strange to the SG purist but quite a few like those unbound ebony board 73' standards were among the most effortless to play with a tone sought after by many musicians. They also benefited from the more stable large neck joint and the schaller harmonica bridge which while not as aesthetic, offered the greatest intonation range for a wider variety of string gauges and NEVER suffered leaning posts, rattling wires, and limited intonation adjustability like ABR's are known for.

To my knowledge the only "Standard" that has come with 24 frets is the 50th anniversary SG.

Also, to make things more confusing on the bevels is that is not just the inside of the horns but the body beveling as well.

Some SGs have deep bevels but the body bevel that leads to the lower horn is not as deep as the 1961 model.

I have never seen how they shape and SG body, I am sure it is through CNC machines but I wonder why they vary, because they will vary even within the same model SG within the same year.

To my knowledge the only "Standard" that has come with 24 frets is the 50th anniversary SG.

Also, to make things more confusing on the bevels is that is not just the inside of the horns but the body beveling as well.

Some SGs have deep bevels but the body bevel that leads to the lower horn is not as deep as the 1961 model.

I have never seen how they shape and SG body, I am sure it is through CNC machines but I wonder why they vary, because they will vary even within the same model SG within the same year.

Thats weird. CNC programs dont vary. Tool heights are pre-set. Perhaps there is some post CNC hand finishing?

Archived