Gibson Brands Forums

Epihhone es-335 Pro

Satriani Fan 52

Hey Everybody, I am looking to buy Something like a es-335 but don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Anyone out there have one of these or something similar they can recommend ??? Thanks, Larry

I have an '08 Dot that I upgraded the switches, wiring, pots, p/u's, etc. after a year or so. Then shortly after, Epi came out with the 335 Pro (more bling, binding, better stuff all around). I'm a happy Dot owner as is, but don't think you can go wrong with a Pro, and I'd do the same if I didn't already own the Dot. My two cents anyway.

There are lots of choices available for a good-quality ES-335 style guitar that won't break the bank. The Epi Dot series are great, and the ES-335 Pro may be the best of the bunch. An Epiphone Sheraton is also a great choice, or the Hamer Echo Tone. You could also look for a used Samick SAT-650 or SAN-450. There are also semi-hollow doublecut guitars made by Ibanez, Agile and Aria, or a Hagstrom Viking. There are also other lesser known brands --- I have one branded Riff and one branded Karera that were clearly made by Pererless and Samick that I bought new for $150 and $269 respectively a few years back, and they're both great.

Hey Everybody, I am looking to buy Something like a es-335 but don't want to spend a ton of money on it.

Yes, this is the one you want:

Epiphone Limited Edition ES-335 PRO

I don't think these are discontinued. GC has at least one "in stock & ready to ship," and Sweetwater has an ebony demo model... There are plenty of these used on ebay and reverb....

over all great values. if you like real low action, you'll most likely need to dress some of the frets. my Sheri Pro II and Swingster Royale both needed some attention when I first got em.

Agreed, the fretboard on mine was scruffy, and it aint plekked. You'll be lucky if it doesn't need some work.

Having said that, after a bit of careful sanding, mine worked out fine.

Hey Everybody, I appreciate the input about the es-335. I got one from one of the big stores. Happy with the price, same as most of the used I saw online. Hopefully it won't need much work. I got the vintage sunburst. Thought that would go well with my gray hair!!! I'll post some pictures when I learn how. Thanks again

I'll post some pictures when I learn how. Thanks again

Go to photobucket.com, it's free account, (lots of adds tho, so the web browser will get bogged down..)

upload the photo.. when you view the "uloaded" photo, there is a yellow box to the right with a few links.

Click the "img" one, you see copied.

the url is now in your paste buffer, ... in a forum edit window, Ctrl+v.. and save.. that's all there is to it.

congrats on the new axe,, enjoy the playin...

If the 335 is anything like my ES-339 pro, it is a wonderful guitar. Can't go wrong with an EPI

The 339 is smaller bodied, so it's closer in tone to a Les Paul (more mids). Let's say it's a cross between a 335 and a Les Paul, veering towards the 335.

What I like about the 339 is the input jack isn't on the face of the guitar.

What I don't like is that it's a compromise, I'd rather go all 335 or All Les Paul.

Hey Everybody, Got my new epi 335, beautiful guitar! Started playing and after a few minutes got some serious fret buzz. I know that is to be expected. I love where the action height is now. very low but still has playable. MY QUESTION IS, Is the truss rod adjustment still lefty loosey, righty tighty ?? I am a newbie at working on guitars an like to be sure about what I do. somebody told me that epiphones were opposite of the old way. the neck is very straight. needs a little relief? thanks

Hey Everybody, Got my new epi 335, beautiful guitar! Started playing and after a few minutes got some serious fret buzz. I know that is to be expected. I love where the action height is now. very low but still has playable. MY QUESTION IS, Is the truss rod adjustment still lefty loosey, righty tighty ?? I am a newbie at working on guitars an like to be sure about what I do. somebody told me that epiphones were opposite of the old way. the neck is very straight. needs a little relief? thanks

Clockwise - tighten

Anti-clockwise - Loosen.

Where is the buzz?

Unless it's a dual action truss rod (on yours it's not) then they are just the same as any other set neck truss.

If the buzz is just all at the lower frets, (first 2 or 3) then try to add some relief, loosen the truss by some where around 1/4 turn (this is a left turn looking down the head stock)

But, if the buzzing is everywhere, it's maybe NOT a truss rod issue... as we eluded to, if you have the action set REALLY low, I would guess you are just falling prey to some high frets.

Since it seems that you're not experienced in the more detailed aspects of a set up, I'd offer to raise the action so that it's as low as possible without buzzing, then find someone who can check the frets, you may find you have a half a dozen that need to be dressed. which is really not uncommon and before you get other advice, just know that this is NOT a defect in manufacturing. It's very common and very easy to get set right.

Unless it's a dual action truss rod (on yours it's not) then they are just the same as any other set neck truss.

If the buzz is just all at the lower frets, (first 2 or 3) then try to add some relief, loosen the truss by some where around 1/4 turn (this is a left turn looking down the head stock)

But, if the buzzing is everywhere, it's maybe NOT a truss rod issue... as we eluded to, if you have the action set REALLY low, I would guess you are just falling prey to some high frets.

Since it seems that you're not experienced in the more detailed aspects of a set up, I'd offer to raise the action so that it's as low as possible without buzzing, then find someone who can check the frets, you may find you have a half a dozen that need to be dressed. which is really not uncommon and before you get other advice, just know that this is NOT a defect in manufacturing. It's very common and very easy to get set right.

I had buzz above the 14th fret. To cut a long story short I got researched which grade sandpaper I needed (I've forgotten now) and carefully sanded past from the 14th fret upwards.....

It greatly improved it, but still, I couldn't get the action as low as my Gibson Les Paul Studio, which does play on the mind.

Saying that.... it's the ONLY thing I would criticise about the ES-335 PRO..... Maybe some got lucky and didn't have this problem. If you are handy with fretwork it's a none issue.

Adam,

check out BUZZ OFF!

it's a handy little kit that you can use to dress down high frets, has a hand tool that has a beveled edge so you don't lose the crown on the frets as well as a few tools to flush out the high frets.

Sand paper grades are 220 for the first few passes, then 400 for the final passes then polish and finish the frets off with 0000 steel wool.

I've had to use this on the Sheraton Pro II, Swingster, Emporer Regent, and Broadway. Some were more involved than others. The Sheraton had about 7 high frets, most in the middle of the fretboard. The Swingster was a chore, that one not only has huge frets, but the factory dress was crap. I spent almost an entire afternoon getting that one sorted out.

After I used this kit, I was able to get the action set on these where I usually like it.. I had a very reputable luthier look at the frets after just asking "how'd I do??"

he said he could not tell at all which ones I dressed and ones I didn't. (but since I actually kept a record of which ones, I was able to point them out, he checked those, and said they looked perfect to him.) so, it works!

Adam,

check out BUZZ OFF!

it's a handy little kit that you can use to dress down high frets, has a hand tool that has a beveled edge so you don't lose the crown on the frets as well as a few tools to flush out the high frets.

Sand paper grades are 220 for the first few passes, then 400 for the final passes then polish and finish the frets off with 0000 steel wool.

I've had to use this on the Sheraton Pro II, Swingster, Emporer Regent, and Broadway. Some were more involved than others. The Sheraton had about 7 high frets, most in the middle of the fretboard. The Swingster was a chore, that one not only has huge frets, but the factory dress was crap. I spent almost an entire afternoon getting that one sorted out.

After I used this kit, I was able to get the action set on these where I usually like it.. I had a very reputable luthier look at the frets after just asking "how'd I do??"

he said he could not tell at all which ones I dressed and ones I didn't. (but since I actually kept a record of which ones, I was able to point them out, he checked those, and said they looked perfect to him.) so, it works!

What I did was......

-Got an old wooden sanding block.

-Placed some coarse sandpaper over a fret (rough side up).

-Worked the block into the fret.

-Viola - a sanding block with a perfectly shaped ridge to sand the top of the frets.

-An old credit card is the perfect size to track down high frets.

-I bought some sandpaper.

Saved a lot of money and hassle.

Of course, if money isn't tight, that kit looks cool!

I thought 20 bucks isn't a bad investment, I've used it now on at least 6 or of my guitars.

Had I brought those to a setup guy @ at least 65 bucks a shot. I'd have been looking at probably 400 bucks and change...

I was glad I had Jim check my work on the one I had started with, gave me the confidence to continue on.

As someone mentioned above, there are a lot of choices out there for 335-type guitars... but speaking as an Epi ES-335 PRO owner your absolutely cannot go wrong getting the Epi (or a Dot for that matter). They are simply fantastic versions of the 335 format. I picked up my 2015 Iced Tea Epi ES-335 PRO lightly used for $319! I did have to put a new nut on it (previous owner had tired to put a TUSQ on it and completely botched the job)... so i had the local luthier I use make & install a handmade bone nut... so add the price of that nut ($65) and I am still under the price of a new one (which even at full price they are a bargain).

Here she is. :)

wjcCnBA.jpg

That is one gorgeous looking guitar. If it plays half as good as it loooks... [thumbup]

I own 2 of these one like that iced tea and a tobacco burst. Man, I

Love playing those things. Best guitars ever :)

Really

Archived