Gibson Brands Forums

Round Core 13s

duluthdan

Heard that there were some new strings out from Curt Mangan - Round Cores. Thought I try some 13 round cores on my J-45 Legend. I normally have 80/20 13s on this guitar, but tuned down a half-step. That down tuning sounds great on this guitar, and helps with singing range. As long as these new strings were round core, thought I just tune right to the good old missionary position. Because I have trouble with the tactile feeling in my left hand, i am a self-confessed finger board masher, and I thought these 13s might have a little less tension than the 13s I usually migrate to.

Jury is definitely still out - the tension still feels a bit stiff, even for a masher like me. May end up sending these down a half-step too, even though I'm not a big fan of down tuning regular Phosphor Bronze.

I have been told that this Legend would sound great using PB 12s, but they always seem a bit "wimpy" on the large Legend neck. Last time I tried 12s on this, I ripped them off the next day, not because of sound, but because I could not feel them very good on my fingers. These 13s really telegraph the connection.

Ropund%20Core_zpspxnymyix.jpg

Dan, I'm curious as to why you think phosphor bronze strings aren't as suitable as 80/20's when down tuning? Just something you've picked up along the way through experience or are there other reasons too? I don't tune down but this is the first I've encountered a preference based on the metal composition of the strings. Interesting.

Dan, I'm curious as to why you think phosphor bronze strings aren't as suitable as 80/20's when down tuning? Just something you've picked up along the way through experience or are there other reasons too? I don't tune down but this is the first I've encountered a preference based on the metal composition of the strings. Interesting.

80/20s tuned down seem to retain more raw "edge" to the sound, than PBs. To my ears.

Archived