Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Shop The Element AL13 1958

Rabs

...This guitar would be so easy to copy as the Gibson isnt inlaid...

Do you think counterfeiters would believe it to be worth their while?

Furthermore I'm guessing the aluminium 'board inlays, aluminium body-binding and aluminium neck-binding might put some of them off the idea...

msp_wink.gif

FWIW; here's a link to the thread posted when the guitar was released last year;

http://forum.gibson....-element-al-13/

Pip.

I think it looks cool. If the parts were actually chromed I would love it but they aren't That kills it for me. I would never want to play a guitar made of so much aluminum. Your hands would never be clean again with aluminum binding and fret markers.

...If the parts were actually chromed I would love it but they aren't That kills it for me. I would never want to play a guitar made of so much aluminum. Your hands would never be clean again with aluminum binding and fret markers.

Interesting point.

It's exceptionally impractical to attempt to chrome-plate aluminium. It CAN be done but the problems inherent in the process make it a near-pointless excercise. As far as using chrome-plated aluminium for the binding where it would need to be further bent/shaped to fit? It's a non-starter.

One option would be anodising the alu. to a polished-look and giving it a clear protective coat but I'm not sure how permanent such a coating would be where the surfaces so treated were constantly being abraded.

Going back to the look of the thing;

I don't really think it's so ugly to be beyond saving - it reminds me strongly of Mr. Young's "Old Black", in fact - but IMO it would be much prettier with an ebony 'board. It seems very strange to go so far down the "black'n'silver-alloy" look but then give it a medium red-brown rosewood 'board...

Pip.

I'm surprised a lot of you guys don't like this. I think it looks really good, except for the weird thing on the headstock...and as Pippy mentioned, it reminded me too of 'Old Black' and I love the look of that guitar. The only thing this one needs is a Bigsby [smile]

Archived