Gibson Brands Forums

The eye (or ear) of the beholder

jedzep

When I stumbled on to my favorite guitar and was there at the right time to snag it, the only thing that I hesitated on was the reason for the less than perfect cosmetics in the center top panel. I looked hard trying to see if it had been moldy or otherwise damaged but was assured it was built that way. The top is light as a feather and tone resembles an old J45 I swapped out, except maybe more chime than dry. When the piece was selected I can only assume it had superior resonance or wouldn't have been added. There are so many pics on these forums showing gorgeous finishes and perfect tops I suddenly realized I'd never seen one with a non-matching top piece. Except for mine. Sheez...it looks like a piece of treated plywood! 82 yrs. old and a tone to die for though.

The difference in the center piece is most likely the affect time and age. It was probably well matched when built.

Builders can't predict whether a guitar will even still be around in 70 years, much less what might happen during the natural, or environmental, aging process.

Archived