Gibson Brands Forums

VOS treatment Thumbs up? or Thumbs down?

rotnroby

I guess, it would depend on the particular guitar, for me? You can buff them out, to gloss, if that's your preference.

Also, VOS finishes tend to "wear" to gloss! That's kind of backwards, to me. LOL

I don't care for the aged hardware, on a lot of VOS guitars. I'd much prefer to do that aging "naturally" by years of

playing, etc. Same for the "Factory dents, scuffs, chips, etc." I'd much prefer to know where every ding and scratch

came from, and the stories behind them. "Faux vintage" is not my cup of tea! And, to have to pay extra (sometimes a LOT

extra), is a non-starter, for me, as well. But, to each his/her own. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I guess, it would depend on the particular guitar, for me? You can buff them out, to gloss, if that's your preference.

Also, VOS finishes tend to "wear" to gloss! That's kind of backwards, to me. LOL

I don't care for the aged hardware, on a lot of VOS guitars. I'd much prefer to do that aging "naturally" by years of

playing, etc. Same for the "Factory dents, scuffs, chips, etc." I'd much prefer to know where every ding and scratch

came from, and the stories behind them. "Faux vintage" is not my cup of tea! And, to have to pay extra (sometimes a LOT

extra), is a non-starter, for me, as well. But, to each his/her own. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I rubbed mine out to look like a new guitar I really hated the VOS treatment!! I bought the guitar for it's playability tone and feel not because it had the "VOS" look!! I'm so tired of the fake worn look on guitars theses days.. Go to GC and you see hundreds of relic's hanging on the wall W/crazy price tags!! I'm not in that camp!!

I am not in the VOS camp either. I have several older guitars and don't mind the naturally aged look but I try to keep my new guitars looking nice. My 2009 Es-345 has no major dings or dents but it has that nice well loved patina. I never liked the pinkish aged looking binding Gibson used either.

Thanks John

I am not in the VOS camp either. I have several older guitars and don't mind the naturally aged look but I try to keep my new guitars looking nice. My 2009 Es-345 has no major dings or dents but it has that nice well loved patina. I never liked the pinkish aged looking binding Gibson used either.

Thanks John

The pinkish binding is from the lack of preparation on the body from the dye that was used.. I see it all the time on early 2000's Gibson Les Pauls as I owned one, the binding was pink from the adeline dye. [crying]

Interesting comments.

I absolutely love the VOS treatment on my natural finish 2012 ES-330. It is not reliced with scratches, chips, or rust. Instead, it looks like a very well cared for ES-330 from the '50s, that has sat in it's case for most of it's life. The effect is perfect, imho.

Now conversely, when I purchased this guitar new, I was rather turned off by the VOS treatment on the sunburst & red versions. But applied to a natural finish, I believe it ideally reaches what Gibson was after.

Interesting comments.

I absolutely love the VOS treatment on my natural finish 2012 ES-330. It is not reliced with scratches, chips, or rust. Instead, it looks like a very well cared for ES-330 from the '50s, that has sat in it's case for most of it's life. The effect is perfect, imho.

Now conversely, when I purchased this guitar new, I was rather turned off by the VOS treatment on the sunburst & red versions. But applied to a natural finish, I believe it ideally reaches what Gibson was after.

I guess on the blonde ES330's the VOS treatment is not that apparent as on my Cherry ES 335. Here is my 1960 original ES 330TDN that I bought over 20 years ago.

330%202_zpskzrz5vdm.jpg

Your 1960 ES-330 is quite simply a thing of beauty!

My 2012 was the first year of the ES-330 VOS, and it's based on the 1959 model, which had a fairly large neck profile. Luckily, the neck on mine was significantly smaller than the other 330s I compared it to (sunburst & red), and it fits me to a tee - along with having the natural finish, which I greatly prefer.

Your 1960 ES-330 is quite simply a thing of beauty!

Thanks, it's a real deal guitar!! I've been offered $10K for this just a few weeks ago! One more shot out on the deck you can really see the detail of the checking over the years.. Oyeah it's going to the grave w/ me when I'm dead. [thumbup]

60%20330_zpscfw0ylod.jpg

Thanks, it's a real deal guitar!! I've been offered $10K for this just a few weeks ago! One more shot out on the deck you can really see the detail of the checking over the years.. Oyeah it's going to the grave w/ me when I'm dead. [thumbup]

A rare treasure. To my knowledge, the natural finish version was only available from '59 to '61.

You clearly have a stellar example of a vintage ES-330!

A rare treasure. To my knowledge, the natural finish version was only available from '59 to '61.

You clearly have a stellar example of a vintage ES-330!

Almost right > In 1959 gibson made 79 blonde ES330TDN's and in 1960 witch is the one I have they made 215 ES330 TDN's Only 294 ES330 TDN's were ever made .. Thats a low tooth count !!! Lol!!! [blink]

330%201_zpstxyxnvmd.jpg

Archived