Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Imperials Installation On Western Classic

Victory Pete

I have wanted to change out the puny Waverly's on my Western Classic for months now, I am glad I finally did it. I am not too impressed with the Waverly's. They are hard to turn and look unsubstantial on the Big Ole Western Classic. I may put them on my D-42 at some point. The work was a bit tedious and nerve-wracking on such an expensive guitar. Enlarging an existing hole can be tricky, finish can crack and wood can splinter. I spin drill bits backwards to avoid these problems, they still cut, slow but gentle. I feel these larger tuners have improved the sound, it is hard to tell if it is the tuners, the new strings, the fish glue taper mod or a combination of all of these. The Western Classic now sounds absolutely great with full bass and treble.

http://s1108.photobu...ver%20Imperials

The Waverly tuners are, in my opinion, the best you can get. Look great and

not over the top. The Imperials look too large to me. But, that's why they

make more than one flavor of ice cream. To each his own.

The Waverly's are nice, but they just don't look right on such a large guitar and headstock, they are also hard to use, some are too close to the headstock for easy manipulation. Cant use a string winder either, the winder hits the headstock. I have found one of them is binding. I will see about getting a replacement and then I think I will put them in my D-42, they are a direct drop in replacement which I will look forward to doing after this project. The Imperials are a total 4 oz. heavier than the Waverly's which help in improving volume and tone.

They look nice.

I have two custom J200's

One came with the Imperials and I like that look

The other has Grover's which are okay. I have switched a few of my guitars but these don't bother me so much that I want to switch them.

IMG_0393_zpsb112d53e.jpg

J200Koa-3_zpse5b8dcf6.jpg

I've always wondered why Gibson (through the years) has not used Imperials on more guitars.

For my opinion on Imperials, all you have to do is look at my L-5 headstock:

4172741064_e01d60d689_o.jpg

Imperial "buttons" re-machined and fitted to mystery "Gibson" tuning machines.

They look nice.

I have two custom J200's

One came with the Imperials and I like that look

The other has Grover's which are okay. I have switched a few of my guitars but these don't bother me so much that I want to switch them.

IMG_0393_zpsb112d53e.jpg

J200Koa-3_zpse5b8dcf6.jpg

I have always liked Grover Rotomatics, I first admired them when I worked at Guild in Westerly in the late 1980's. I just wonder if the press in bushing helps with improving the tone and volume. The posts and bushings are in direct contact with the wood. With the threaded collar style the post and collar are not exactly in direct firm contact with the wood. The main contact is through the washer which is sitting rather lightly on the lacquer.

Archived