Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic 2017 T - snappy?

hi13ts

Hi friends, I played a new 2017 Classic T today, one in that green burst and a Goldtop. It wasn't bad! Specs are very desirable (nylon nut, ABR bridge, etc), but I found that they're very snappy and bright. 57 Classics normally are a little breathier and mids-y, so that was a surprise. How have your experiences been with this? I'm looking into a 2017 Traditional as well because the specs are so on point this year, but I figured if the Classics are cheaper and have difference specs that are desirable, why not get one of those and maybe put in some Antiquities or Bare Knuckles on them.

... if the Classics are cheaper and have difference specs that are desirable, why not get one of those and maybe put in some Antiquities or Bare Knuckles on them...

Depends on what you are after. I have a matched pair of Antiquities in one Lester and I much prefer the '57 Classics in two of my others.

A case of "One man's meat..." I suppose...

Pip.

Could be pickup height or just the tone of that one guitar, or both. I played one and it sounded just right. I do agree with the neck needing to be '50s rather than '60s, though; too many models have the slimtaper

• 2 weeks later...

It's a smashing guitar, I couldn't be happier with mine. The pickups are louder than normal though, and this seems to be the general consensus for the 2017 Classic. But they sound great, and the neck is just perfect even though I usually prefer fatter necks. But the rolled frets and binding makes it just so comfortable.

Archived