Gibson Brands Forums

Nickel Parts Replating

I don't know specifically, but I bet there are places local to you where the car and motorcycle guys get their stuff done. That's where I'd look. Maybe call a automotive custom shop in your area and see if they'll point you in the right direction.

... there are places local to you where the car and motorcycle guys get their stuff done.

Yep, what he said. Although very small parts such as screws may not be accepted for plating by this type of "industrial" plating operation.

The cost is usually reasonable, but in some cases you might still be better off cost wise to replace instead of re-plate.

Another type of shop you might try that is used to dealing with smaller parts is a place that does re-plating of household items such as tableware and flatware

This is a YouTube video about nickel plating at home. There are other videos out there about plating at home too. I don't know anything about this so I cannot endorse it. Best of luck with your project.

BTW - I think that replacing the parts is the best idea if possible.

I do generally agree on replacing parts but sometimes its not possible or practical. I have an E2 Explorer that needs the jack plate replated and the size of this thing does not match modern Explorer jack plates - it's slightly larger, just enough that the modern plate wont fit the screw holes without filling and drilling. I have searched high and low and this old part is not available and there is no aftermarket. So, I'll send it out somewhere to get stripped and plated in gold. Not sure about the OP's situation.

Archived