Gibson Brands Forums

advice for new buyer

thirstytom

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-335-Slim-Neck.aspx this is the guitar I'm thinking of buying. heard regular 335's have kind of a chunky neck so thought this might be nice. love the sunset burst as well, the guitar is beautiful. thought I would seek advice from you all before I buy. should I wait for 2017 line up or? new or used? the used all seem banged up for the money or maybe I just havn't seen a good one. have looked on ebay and reverb for most part for used and looked wildwood and sweetwater for new, sweetwater does not have this guitar in stock at moment. so what do you all think. I understand personnel preference and all but with that being said there must be things about this lineup i am not aware of. any help and advice would be most welcomed. thanks alot

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/11746740/2016-limited-es-335-figured-slim-neck-2/?cat_id=264 this is the guitar I'm thinking of buying. heard regular 335's have kind of a chunky neck so thought this might be nice. love the sunset burst as well, the guitar is beautiful. thought I would seek advice from you all before I buy. should I wait for 2017 line up or? new or used? the used all seem banged up for the money or maybe I just havn't seen a good one. have looked on ebay and reverb for most part for used and looked wildwood and sweetwater for new, sweetwater does not have this guitar in stock at moment. so what do you all think. I understand personnel preference and all but with that being said there must be things about this lineup i am not aware of. any help and advice would be most welcomed. thanks alot

I would not wait for the 2017 line up, one reason is that the guitar prices will be more $$ as time go's on the prices rise also you might not fine the right color that you did in the prior year? I really like Wildwood as they have a great return policy 48 hrs if your not pleased send it back for a full refund minus a return shipping cost. Also Wildwood has a large pre owned guitar selection you might want to check out?? Most guitars are like new and guys just traded them in for a different guitar so you save on the new guitar price also you can haggle on price.. [biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.gibson.co...-Slim-Neck.aspx this is the guitar I'm thinking of buying. heard regular 335's have kind of a chunky neck so thought this might be nice. love the sunset burst as well, the guitar is beautiful. thought I would seek advice from you all before I buy. should I wait for 2017 line up or? new or used? the used all seem banged up for the money or maybe I just havn't seen a good one. have looked on ebay and reverb for most part for used and looked wildwood and sweetwater for new, sweetwater does not have this guitar in stock at moment. so what do you all think. I understand personnel preference and all but with that being said there must be things about this lineup i am not aware of. any help and advice would be most welcomed. thanks alot

The only comment I would make is price and service.

The online price I would have thought to be best price turned out to be several hundred dollars higher than my local 5 star dealer.

Big plus is the face that I don't have to ship it to the online dealer or deal with a warranty repair service.

One stop for everything. I buy local and if it needs any setup out of the box they take care of it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Midtown is solid wood and a flat maple top, the 339 is laminated arched completely different body construction. The boards are different also with Richlite and the 339 with rosewood. The 339 also has a Memphis tone circuit and nickle not chrome hardware also. Body is smaller on the 339 and imo a more comfortable electric to play and the reach to the first position feels longer on the Midtown to me. That said its a nice guitar the Midtown and when you stand and play the dynamics change because of the strap lock positions which are different. It feels nice playing it. The pick-ups are different also. BB 1+ 2 compared to the Classic 57s.

The 335 is constructed like the 339 but a bigger body than both the Midtown and the 339. They all sound good and play well the 339 and 335 are closer to me but I never played a Midtown with the same electronics as a 335 or 339. To me without this the comparisons are tough.

Archived