Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar - Les Paul Traditional 2016

hi13ts

Hi friends,

Just want to share that I acquired a 2016 LP Trad T. As some of you may know, I had a 78 Les Paul Custom for a few years that I would find myself constantly tinkering with, taking it into the shop and fixing it at home to get it to jive with me. Unfortunately, it never did. I went to a local music store and asked about trade-ins, thinking I'd swap it for a 2017 Classic or Traditional, since both have desirable, vintage-y specs. I tried a Classic earlier but it wasn't jiving with me as it was very bright and snappy, but figured maybe a pickup swap might help if I decided to go that route. The local shop couldn't offer a decent trade-in, so I was intent on trying to sell it myself. On a whim, I drove over to the Guitar Center that's about 5 miles away from the local store just for s&gs, to see how much they'd give me. As they were evaluating it and sending pics to the Hollywood store (apparently, anything 25 years or older is considered vintage and sent to Hollywood for eval), I played this honeyburst 2016 LP Trad to kill time. I was surprised at how well it played and how much sustain it had for a guitar with 9 holes drilled out of it! I was really connecting with it playing it through a Blues Deluxe and then a DSL40C. Manager came back and offered me almost a straight trade, and so I accepted and went home with the Traditional. I went home, changed the strings, set it up to my specs, and put some Emerson PIOs in it and I can't be happier at how this worked out. It's such a resonant guitar. The 57s are very warm and throaty in this Les Paul, and to top it off, the honeyburst finish looks similar to Gary Moore's Stripe '59 (not Greeny). Just overall, the Les Paul that I always think about when I think of the model. Very blessed. A link to a photo should be beneath this.

https://goo.gl/photos/eycFBANTny5Lnbh89

The best looking LPs made in the last few years have been the Traditionals. I nearly had one but the neck did not agree with my hand so I ended up with a root beer Standard burst w/60s style neck which is perfect in my hand but nothing was as pretty as that Traditional I passed on. The traditional 1950s LPs had thicker necks than anything 59 onwards.

The Maple caps on the Traditionals are gorgeous. Every fricken one of them is a work of art.

Congratulations.

All the 2016 Trads I've had my hands on have been excellent (in fact, so excellent, I've purchased 2 of them... one in Honey Burst like yours and one in Iced Tea).

Anyway, congrats and HNDG from one Gary Moore fan to another (Stripe is one of my favorite 59 LPs). :)

Agreed about the honey bursts. I wanted one realy bad and had cash money but all the ones I saw in SC had C necks or 50s necks which don't fit my hands. I prefer the 60s style neck. In fact I like the 60s style neck better than the asymmetric neck even though the asymmetric gives me more room. It isn't about how thin a neck is but "where" the neck is thin.

1all's: Gary Moore is the truth.

Zentar, the only model I can think of with a good 60's slim neck in Honeyburst would be an old Les Paul Standard, like back in '06 or '07. I think things changed around '08, if I remember correctly. It was actually very nice back then; each Les Paul model and finish had the option of 50s or 60s neck, even the Studios. They're not much cheaper than new Traditionals, just to be aware.

Archived