Gibson Brands Forums

Nice Red Line reissue case for Legend / L-00 on eBay

62burst

No affiliation, but to anyone looking for a very nice case for an L-00, this is a beauty. 'Don't think I've seen one of these, or one for a J-45, ever come up for sale. It is curious how the case, and the case candy got separated from the guitar. Hopefully, it wasn't a switcheroo; "sorry, this is the case it came with" in answering the question from a prospective buyer wondering if the guitar came with the Red Line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-L-00-Reissue-Hardshell-Guitar-Case-with-Case-Candy-1932-1937-/132097841573?hash=item1ec1a519a5:g:NOAAAOSw32lYpRe-

iqZolU6.png

Those are gorgeous cases. My L-OO Legend came with one. They are a bit unusual in that the second neck rest (closest to the headstock) is not fixed in position, but is actually movable (not attached to anything). The purple lining is felt rather than the "cat fur" seen in cheaper cases. It's a very heavy case, but is both arch-top and arch-back, making it substantially stronger than the standard case.

I got one of these cases as a customer order from Cedar Creek a few years back. I got the case for my 1942 J-45 and it is a very nice case with a cool vintage vibe. These do not come up for sale often.

Lars

Making a custom order from Cedar Creek/TKL, as you did, is really the only other option. I did the same, through Guitar Gallery in Nashville; there is an exhaustive list of measurements they'd like you to make of your guitar, and the wait approaches three months. Did you have a similar wait, Lars?

Those are gorgeous cases. My L-OO Legend came with one. They are a bit unusual in that the second neck rest (closest to the headstock) is not fixed in position, but is actually movable (not attached to anything). The purple lining is felt rather than the "cat fur" seen in cheaper cases. It's a very heavy case, but is both arch-top and arch-back, making it substantially stronger than the standard case.

That movable second neck rest, kind of a head-scratcher when you first notice it, is also a feature of the True Vintage (brown with pink interior) cases. If you were to cut a slot into a piece of wood, or fabricate a wider version of the neck rest, it could be used outside of the guitar for string changes.

Yes, I waited about eight weeks for my case, and had to send in tons of measurements when ordering (which was kind of strange, because the J-45 Redline case is shipped with the J-45 1942 Legend Reissue, and my J-45 is from 1942. So all measuremtns are identical...) I really wanted a vintage case for my old J-45, but very, very few of these guitars actually shipped with hardcases back in the 40's, and of those hardcases, most were poor fitting archtop cases. The majority of the old J-45s shipped in cardboard cases. A cardboard case would be cool, but not very good for protecting the instrument or maintaining humidity during the cold Swedish winters. If I could find one of these I would still be interested, but it would not be used often.

So when looking for a vintage type case, this redline case was really my best best.

Lars

Making a custom order from Cedar Creek/TKL, as you did, is really the only other option. I did the same, through Guitar Gallery in Nashville; there is an exhaustive list of measurements they'd like you to make of your guitar, and the wait approaches three months. Did you have a similar wait, Lars?

That movable second neck rest, kind of a head-scratcher when you first notice it, is also a feature of the True Vintage (brown with pink interior) cases. If you were to cut a slot into a piece of wood, or fabricate a wider version of the neck rest, it could be used outside of the guitar for string changes.

I did not know that about either case, and I have both!

Red 333

That case looks very nice, and it looks like considerably better protection than an original case. This is from our 1936 AJ. You can see the relative lack of padding and none of our 30s cases "fit like a glove."

caseaj2.jpg

I would not have a problem carrying an old 30s L-00 footprint guitar in such a case. We generally put the original cases away and actually store and carry the more expensive guitars (30s Dreads and Js) in modern flight cases -- Mark Leaf, Hoffee, Calton, and such.

The more impressive old cases to me were the form fitted coffin cases from the 20s.

case21283.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Archived