Gibson Brands Forums

Mandolin Brothers Sold

MorrisrownSal

A closing chapter on the end of Mando Bros NYC era. If going to be online now, no real reason to be in the city? It would be nice if a few of Stan's family can remain with the company.

Nice clip, though. Didn't know Sheryl Crow also had a studio in New York- that's handy.

Stan Jay sold me my first Gibson. A special order sunburst Songwriter Deluxe. I remember him telling me that he personally owned a Songwriter. It was not until after I bought the guitar and learned about Mandolin Brothers that I realized what a great endorsement that was.

Seems like a case study for the way the retail guitar business is going. Time-honored 'downtown' business with national reputation gets bought by 'some guy in California who is going to convert it to an Internet Business, basically just paying for their name, reputation, or goodwill."

If you look at how easy it is to buy stuff on Amazon - fast delivery, unbelievably easy to return and get a refund, massive variety and review feedback - it would be neanderthal to think people who buy that way won't start expecting the same type of experience be available for buying a guitar. You could order a guitar on Saturday, when you get to your beach rental - have it on Sunday - request a return/refund on Thursday and have it Picked up on Saturday when you leave for home. So - you paid to rent the cottage, but got to rent the guitar for free.

I dont think Staten Island qualifies as The CIty :)

Cruddy neighborhood. They own the building, so no rent... I think it speaks to how much Stan was a part of that place. I am sad. I bought a few from him.

Actually..Staten Island does qualify as the city.

It is one of five boroughs that make up New York City.

The others are Brooklyn, Queens,The Bronx, and Manhatten :rolleyes:

Archived