Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Stage Deluxe RW

nid2007

As is all too common, one new acquisition triggers GAS.

I just traded my Huss and Dalton Crossroads DS for this 2015 Stage Deluxe Rosewood: https://reverb.com/item/4286494-gibson-stage-deluxe-rosewood-2015-vintage-sunburst

It sounds great. I love the neck--for me, a perfect variation from the Jackson Browne model I once owned. It is powerful, but sounds very nice strummed lightly as well. Its got a little warble to it...old sounding even. Surprisingly lightweight as well for rosewood.

The Huss was wonderful, but the new Hummingbird has replaced it as my go-to all around strummer.

Thanks to my fellow forum members for the consults on this model.

Y'know, I don't think that really happened. I mean, who would trade a Huss & Dalton for a Gibson? ; ).

Not the same guy that traded Janus the Bourgeois, but like minded I guess.

The Huss was great--can't recommend the Crossroads series enough for folks looking for vintage Gibson in a new guitar; affordable due to having no bling or appointments--but it was time for a change.

Ahahahaha......Trading is a back and forth effort. For Pete sakes make up your minds! [confused]

Beautiful they are Stage Deluxe. Looks like a flashlight shone right in on the middle there of the sunburst WOW!

It is worth trading up for really Congrats!

Trans!

Let's try it this way: Pics or it didn't happen!

(. . . and yes, we'd love to see the back [smile] )

Congrats, too.

The pics on the reverb link are all I have now. There should be a lot there.

I'm happy to be part of the Stage Dlx club

Gorgeous guitar. Looks in the photo like the saddle may have been changed.

I wonder why they don't use a vintage Gibson logo on these? It would go nicely.

Yes, Nick, it might look that way, but they come with the uncompensated saddle. And the old script logo would look nice, but the block logo still looks good in abalone [smile]. They really have strong low-mids.

Gorgeous guitar. Looks in the photo like the saddle may have been changed.

I wonder why they don't use a vintage Gibson logo on these? It would go nicely.

I'm officially jealous.

Yes, good eye. And was pretty easy to point out to the seller since he had a mahogany version as well with him that had the original saddle. He got it from Wilcutt Guitars. No explanation on the saddle swap. It is a great set up as is--I initially was going to trade back (we used a 3 day "are we happy?" period) and we even scheduled a time to meet for the trade back. But I found myself sitting down with it for a while after that and realized that I did not want to let it go.

This raises the question: is the guitar all that it can be with a short saddle in a long saddle slotted bridge? I will be asking my luthier.

Yes, Nick, it might look that way, but they come with the uncompensated saddle. And the old script logo would look nice, but the block logo still looks good in abalone [smile]. They really have strong low-mids.

You think it is the original? I didn't even think of the possibility that the factory would put a short saddle in bridge slotted for a through saddle.

Dang, I'm down 2 for 2 on this thread; yes, it does look kinda short, and could/should extend out to where the bridge tapers down to it's wings. But the carve and color of the saddle look correct, and this is, after all, Gibson :mellow:.

yep. I have an extra saddle for my Fairbanks that is the perfect length, but its cut for a narrower saddle slot, so it leans forward on the Stage Deluxe. If I want one that goes end to end and tapers, I need to make one or have one mind. Sounds great as is though.

My "guess" is that they had pickup issues, and put in a short saddle to make a fix. Just a guess.

Dang, I'm down 2 for 2 on this thread; yes, it does look kinda short, and could/should extend out to where the bridge tapers down to it's wings. But the carve and color of the saddle look correct, and this is, after all, Gibson :mellow:.

I love the guitar. I'm just (literally) a professional nit-picker.

Is that a constant-thickness bridge, or is it one of the bridges that's thicker on the bass side, and lower on the treble side? Can't tell from the photo.

Is that a constant-thickness bridge, or is it one of the bridges that's thicker on the bass side, and lower on the treble side? Can't tell from the photo.

Yes Nick, thicker on bass side.

Gibson naming conventions are a bit odd -- a RW Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe would have had a different name in the 30s. A Roy Smeck Radio Grande.

Yes, I thought it was missing the mark when the SDR came out, but Gibson had another trick up their sleeve when they got the fretboard inlays right, gave it a bound neck, and put a torrified top on it:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/11296020/limited-edition-roy-smeck-radio-grande-2/

Yes Nick, thicker on bass side.

Yes, I thought it was missing the mark when the SDR came out, but Gibson had another trick up their sleeve when they got the fretboard inlays right, gave it a bound neck, and put a torrified top on it:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/11296020/limited-edition-roy-smeck-radio-grande-2/

From my perspective, that one may just be the holy grail, other than a rosewood SJ.

From my perspective, that one may just be the holy grail, other than a rosewood SJ.

I guess that would be a fair statement about me too -- at least as judged by my actions. The last two vintage Gibsons we picked were a 35 Radio Grande and a 43 RW SJ. After four decades of acquiring old Gibsons as investments (about 50), these were really just luxuries because we paid near retail from high end dealers because I really wanted to have those models which I had never found using our regular approach. IMO, these are in the same class as our old AJ.

I would be interesting to play a new one with a torrified top.

Archived