Gibson Brands Forums

Forward leaning saddle on Hummimgbird Pro

paulsgs

It's not desirable unless the saddle has an angled base to maintain full contact with the top. I don't know about modern guitar set ups and maybe it's designed like that, but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's a misfit. Hope you have someone to complain to.

If the saddle is correctly cut - the bottom will not be sitting flush in the bridge slot. It'll be sitting on it's edge, so the amount of transfer to the bridge plate and face will be seriously diminished. Can't tell from your OP if this is a 'new' Gibson, as in 'under warranty' or not. Either way you need to get it fixed. Either the saddle is too narrow or the bridge slot was cut wrong. And, can't tell from your OP how much of a 'lean' you have going on - so it's hard to tell whether this will require a major or minor repair job. G'Luck.

This seems to be a recurring theme on recent Gibsons. My 2016 J15 had a saddle slot cut too big (no stock Tusq saddles would fit without leaning so I had to make one myself out of a blank.

My 2015 J200 is the same. Not so my 2014 SJ100 '41RI and my 2011 Dove, they're all perfect. Seems like a tooling issue circa '15-'16.

This seems to be a recurring theme on recent Gibsons. My 2016 J15 had a saddle slot cut too big (no stock Tusq saddles would fit without leaning so I had to make one myself out of a blank.

My 2015 J200 is the same. Not so my 2014 SJ100 '41RI and my 2011 Dove, they're all perfect. Seems like a tooling issue circa '15-'16.

BUMP .....

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

OF course - Epiphones are not made in the same factory as Gibson's. But chances are they use the same equipment.

EDIT _ THE HUMINGBIRD PRO can be either an EPIPHONE or GIBSON. APOLOGIES.

I wonder if there's a potential for the cutting blade to develop a little Wiggle over time.

Again, without more information and/or pics from OP Paul, its hard to know how big of a lean there is.

But if Jinder experienced it to the extent he had to cut 2 new saddles - it's likely something that needs fixing at the source....

It struck me as a weird coincidence on my two but I've seen it on a couple of other guitars in stores. I didn't realise that the OP's Hummingbird Pro was an Epi, but as you said, there's not many ways to rout a bridge so they must use similar kit. I expected better (especially on a £2750 J200!) from Gibson but at least it's an easy fix and I never find that kind of tinkering a chore ☺

I thought Hummingbird Pros were simply Gibsons made exclusively for Musicians Friend/Guitar Center derived from Gibson Songwriters...not Epiphones. Where did this misinformation about Hummingbird Pros being Epiphones come from? Am I missing something?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

WHOA ! You're right! I screwed up big time there thinking it was the Epiphone H'bird. Sorry for the mis-direction Jinder.

I will go back and attempt to 'fix' my post.

Thanks JJeff.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the undersaddle pickup might have some effect here....

Brought it to my guy on LI, he said there were shims underneath that were too thick, he replaced them with thinner ones. It now sits almost perfectly straight up and plays considerably better.

Thank all for your feedback.

Archived