Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap Guitar vs Extortionate One

IanHenry

Why should anyone be remotely surprised that, when played through an overdriven amp, a humbucker-equipped Epiphone LP sounds rather similar to a humbucker-equipped Gibson LP? I'd have been utterly astonished had they sounded very different from one another.

Pip.

Why should anyone be remotely surprised that, when played through an overdriven amp, a humbucker-equipped Epiphone LP sounds rather similar to a humbucker-equipped Gibson LP? I'd have been utterly astonished had they sounded very different from one another.

Pip.

+1!

Yes, it always gets on my nerves, reviewing a guitar with pedals as I never use them. Ok for them to use pedals if there reviewing...............Pedals!...

It used to drive me to distraction. What is the bloody point of demonstrating a guitar when what you are really listening to is distortion?

The most stupid demo (I'm sure it's still 'up there' somewhere) was someone showing-off a Dumble but was playing through a complete pedal board!

WTF?!?!?!

ridiculous2.gif

msp_laugh.gif

And I've just noticed that rct is correct; I sound just like the DowagerCountessLadyGrantham in all my previous posts in this thread into the bargain...

Except she would have said 'doubleyew-tee-eff' whereas I elected to use the shorter (and by two syllables, mark you; Two!!) whatthe****.

Pip.

Did you notice how low the pickups were on the True Historic? Not as per Gibson spec...

Really, Ian?............eusa_think.gif

What string-to p'up height were they at (do you reckon) and at what height do Gibson's specs suggest?

Not trying to start a bunfight but actually I thought they looked rather more 'proud' of the rings than I would have expected on an Historic.

I'm sure you already know but Historic bridge p'up surrounds are considerably higher than USA-line rings and some notable LP players (Farnsbarns and Joe Bonamassa spring to mind) have the tops of their p'ups almost level with the surrounds themselves.

Pip.

Really, Ian?............eusa_think.gif

What string-to p'up height were they at (do you reckon) and at what height do Gibson's specs suggest?

Not trying to start a bunfight but actually I thought they looked rather more 'proud' of the rings than I would have expected on an Historic.

I'm sure you already know but Historic bridge p'up surrounds are considerably higher than USA-line rings and some notable LP players (Farnsbarns and Joe Bonamassa spring to mind) have the tops of their p'ups almost level with the surrounds themselves.

Pip.

Hi Pippy, I didn't know that the pickup rings were different. They just look very low in the ring to me. You must forgive me if I don't type very much, I've had an op on one of my (right) hand today.

Ian

Pip.

I wasnt going to be the first to say it, so I'm glad you did. I'll be the 3rd then. True!

Heh, another Epi vs. Gibby shootout. How many is that, now?

I doubt it's entirely altruistical to make us Epi owners feel good. I think Andertons want to sell loads and loads of Epis.

Which I don't mind. I love my Plustop Pro.

But it also took quite a bit of tweaking to get it just right, and it doesn't appear to have top notch fretwire. You have to factor in stuff like that, too.

I've never been a snob when it comes to guitars. Cheap or expensive as long as you enjoy them it doesn't really matter. Ignore anyone who says you can't get a good sound from an Epi or Squier, as it's simply not true. I've noticed a lot of players who say that Epi's aren't good are not very good players in the first place and would make a Gibson sound just as bad [biggrin]

I've never been a snob when it comes to guitars. Cheap or expensive as long as you enjoy them it doesn't really matter. Ignore anyone who says you can't get a good sound from an Epi or Squier, as it's simply not true. I've noticed a lot of players who say that Epi's aren't good are not very good players in the first place and would make a Gibson sound just as bad [biggrin]

Check out the second video featuring the Epiphone ES Le Paul, it sounds good to me.

Ian

Archived