Gibson Brands Forums

Is this still a Gibson forum ?

EuroAussie

You guys showing off all those nice Gibsons and I only have this broken ole thing to show [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] :

Yea, ours are mostly old too. Some are older than yours.

6BoPtPx.jpg

Some are about the same age.

30gibs.jpg

Some are not even guitars.

oaGuqoP.jpg

and some are not real Gibsons

Zoos.jpg

and some are almost new -- 40s, 50s, and early 60s.

40Gibs.jpg

60gibsontests.jpg

So ... both of the other forms that talk about all the old junk we have found and accumulated have either "Martin" or "Banjo" in their title.

So if not here. where. I think we are stuck with each other.msp_scared.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_scared.gif

Let's pick,

-Tom

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys showing off all those nice Gibsons and I only have this broken ole thing to show [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] :

5JzWMrk.jpg

BluesKing777.

No pity here BK777, that is an awesome guitar, plus you have some other great guitars. Gibson does not make the only great guitars and I like Martins and Santa Cruz's as well many other brands.

No pity here BK777, that is an awesome guitar, plus you have some other great guitars. Gibson does not make the only great guitars and I like Martins and Santa Cruz's as well many other brands.

Yep, that guitar is so awesome, it is probably illegal.....

[woot] [woot] [woot]

BluesKing777.

Well there's nothing in the rules that say's you have to own or play a Gibson but it certainly helps. I think I am guilty of non Gibson subjects on the forum currently having a tread on Fender Teles at the moment but I do find I get a more informed answer here than anywhere else.

Well there's nothing in the rules that say's you have to own or play a Gibson but it certainly helps. I think I am guilty of non Gibson subjects on the forum currently having a tread on Fender Teles at the moment but I do find I get a more informed answer here than anywhere else.

What Tele do you have right now?

5JzWMrk.jpg

BluesKing777.

I love that guitar (despite the modern logo). Questions and comments arise here frequently about Gibson's vintage firestripe pickguards. The pickguard on this guitar dates from the mid-1930's, and is one of the best examples of a "real" firestripe pickguard I have ever seen.

You want to know what a firestripe pickguard should look like? Here you have it. The modern ones are largely pale imitations, practically caricatures of the real thing.

You want to know what a firestripe pickguard should look like? Here you have it. The modern ones are largely pale imitations, practically caricatures of the real thing.

You seldom see them "clean" like unless the finish is removed -- they use to paint the bursts over them. The one on the non-burst 1935 RSRG above is such a pickguard. Not many came that way. Because most of the new guitars seem to put them on over the finish, they just look weird to me.

Best,

Tom

Is there going to be a wall? Are most of my guitars going to be deported back to China?

lighthouse.gif

My 'beater' Chinese Epi refuses to emerge from its sanctuary site under the bed. Been there since the election. Keeps whimpering how it didn't invent global warming.

I love that guitar (despite the modern logo). Questions and comments arise here frequently about Gibson's vintage firestripe pickguards. The pickguard on this guitar dates from the mid-1930's, and is one of the best examples of a "real" firestripe pickguard I have ever seen.

Some say the new guitars are pale imitations too, but I have both and enjoy both - they just have their own 'thing'. My BK is a geat guitar, but Bubinga back and sides was a strange choice that is never going to sound like the vintage L-0 above, and probably would have to ask Ren...'why?'. But it gets a unique 'rosewood-ish' sound. If you want the original sound, not going to happen...but I am lucky to have that original one above, so the BK has its own way....it has the white logo but then they put strange tuners on it and the pickguard in the wrong place and...and..and.... [tongue]

The old Gibson above was probably black finish to begin its life. And I guess the owner didn't like it, and removed it, and decorated it, and filed the fretboard and bridge right down down to save paying for a neckset. So I had all that done and the modern logo was done while I was at the luthier shop picking it up - on the headstock was a piece of MOTS inset crooked instead of the logo and other bits scattered all over headstock back and sides. Jim (Cargill) removed all those, filled the holes, put a sliver of ebony over the mess and slivers of mahogany on the sides, new tuners and was going to leave the headstock blank. Of course I asked about a Gibson logo, he didn't have a white one but could get one, but had the modern gold one right there and then and I was NOT going to wait any longer.......so... :mellow:

But with all the things he did, neckset, headstock, tuners, ebony fretboard, frets, ebony bridge, bone nut and saddle - he probably should have put a 'Cargill' logo on it! And I would be pleased to have it!

BluesKing777.

BK- 'still have any pics of the old headstock as you found it? (I know, dumb question). . . If memory serves, didn't it have some colored stones embedded in a vertical line? Kinda liked it as it was; part of it's story.

EA- please pardon my meandering from the original rail. But we are at least talking about G- guitars :mellow:

BK- 'still have any pics of the old headstock as you found it? (I know, dumb question). . . If memory serves, didn't it have some colored stones embedded in a vertical line? Kinda liked it as it was; part of it's story.

EA- please pardon my meandering from the original rail. But we are at least talking about G- guitars :mellow:

Ha Ha, do we have a photo?

More like you should ask what I don't have a photo of! ( I have to say on the camera subject that the time the batteries last on the Nikon is extraordinary - I bought a spare to lug around but rarely need it as the battery seems to last for about 44 million photos before recharging - gone are the days of my first digital Apple work camera where the batteries lasted 3 photos!)

Yeah, I didn't move all that stuff off the Gibson for fun - the decorations were crooked, rattled and the fretboard had been sanded between the frets, and the Hound didn't like it:

AtkiqhY.jpg

3uis9wl.jpg

ybvEixl.jpg

While I have Imgur up, spot the ringer (ring in, not part of the set) in the composite below:

PS. Do you think the street sign was changed from Sunburn Ave to Sunburst Ave? Perspective on sunburn changed since the earlier years?

qjFMII7.jpg

BluesKing777.

Yea, ours are mostly old too. Some are older than yours.

6BoPtPx.jpg

Some are about the same age.

30gibs.jpg

Some are not even guitars.

oaGuqoP.jpg

and some are not real Gibsons

Zoos.jpg

and some are almost new -- 40s, 50s, and early 60s.

40Gibs.jpg

60gibsontests.jpg

So ... both of the other forms that talk about all the old junk we have found and accumulated have either "Martin" or "Banjo" in their title.

So if not here. where. I think we are stuck with each other.msp_scared.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_scared.gif

Let's pick,

-Tom

How long did that photoshoot take to set up/ take down? WOW!

How long did that photoshoot take to set up/ take down? WOW!

Before 2002, we only took pictures for insurance -- we had maybe 90% of the guitars by then. When the Vintage Corner of the UMGF got started, I began to pose and display them a bit. Over the years it mounts up -- we love playing them, but posing them can be fun too. We are into the history of both the guitars and the music -- it is all part of what we do for fun. We developed a green screen studio for audio, video, and photos.

Best,

-Tom

. . . I gotta'say, I enjoy them all, and am not looking for another or one that may sound better. I outgrew this thought a few years ago. Age also helps in decisions, along with $$. Thanks for reading.

'Just wanted to take a sec to acknowledge some wisdom.

You can lead a horse to water, but . . .

'Just wanted to take a sec to acknowledge some wisdom.

You can lead a horse to water, but . . .

The interesting thing about that - and I'll bet other 'horse people' will substantiate also - is that the real trick's to stop a horse from drinking when he shouldn't!

Archived