Gibson Brands Forums

Coiled Cables question

Riffster

It all depends on the diameter of the coils and the thickness of the cable...you tell me the coil diameter and I'll tell you how to use 3.15946 in the appropriate manner...

tongue.gif

3, 3 'na half feet coiled up. After a year of use, if it lasts that long, it'll be a 20 foot cable....

laugh.gif

It's funny 'cause it's true! If you can get it all untangled'n'such...

Pip.

In the late '70s I, and everyone else I played with, used what we used to call 'curly' leads. By the early '80s I, and everyone else I knew, were using straight leads. The 'curlies' put a lot of strain on the internal jack cable grip, and on the lead in general, and over time the outer sheath would split somewhere and eventually cause one of the cores to fail (usually half-way through a song whilst on stage!). So, I haven't used one for 35 years, but maybe they are better now?

In the late '70s I, and everyone else I played with, used what we used to call 'curly' leads....

Me Too! Sometimes we called them 'coilys'.

We should start a new thread; 'Me and My Curly'. Here's a snap of me (heavily pre-edited by other hands to protect the guilty innocent) with my red coily playing some pub (the Whiteside, Polmont?) back in '81-ish;

MeandStrat1980cut-out_zpsc5e02c35.jpg

L16783. I miss her.

Pip.

Yea, I figure they have their draw backs but my current cable has been coiling a bit and I wanted something that could be stretched and returned to shape.

I actually have a chaep Radio Shack branded coil cable that works great for when I am playing guitar through my interface and computer but I do not recall what length is it may be a 10'

A few things come to mind here:

One - there was a very similar thread a couple months ago on another forum, but can't remember which one; MLP?

Two - consensus was not to get one for any number of reasons

Three - I bought a couple of these years ago and promptly shelved them. They weigh a ton

Four - I finally went wireless and never looked back, BUT, this video may help you out:

Riffster - I've been using the coily Lava Cable with a silent plug and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one of those. I highly recommend it

I would also ignore the negative generalizations that have been posted here so far. If you use quality cable with quality plugs, there's no reason it's any less durable than a straight cable.

If you put your cable through your strap to relive the strain on the plug/jack, there won't be an issue. Same goes for straight cables.

Riffster - I've been using the coily Lava Cable with a silent plug and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one of those. I highly recommend it

I would also ignore the negative generalizations that have been posted here so far. If you use quality cable with quality plugs, there's no reason it's any less durable than a straight cable.

If you put your cable through your strap to relive the strain on the plug/jack, there won't be an issue. Same goes for straight cables.

Yea, I always loop the cable anyway and well I do not play an stages, only in my jam room.

One - there was a very similar thread a couple months ago on another forum, but can't remember which one; MLP?

Three - I bought a couple of these years ago and promptly shelved them. They weigh a ton

Four - I finally went wireless and never looked back, BUT, this video may help you out:

Yep, I was aware of the technique. My current cable though I bought it bilk and added plugs to it but it seems to have a natural coil to it, it coils great to put it away but it also coils when I am using it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Can't speak for the rest of the world but be aware that the majority of medium and larger venues in the UK don't allow the use of coily cables because they're dangerous. They tangle with other cables and end up pulling amps and other equipment off/over/down. I can't help thinking this isn't just a UK phenomenon.

Curious. I never coil cables. I fold them. When they're folded a couple of times you can tie them in a loose half knot. Easy, and no tangles.

Curious. I never coil cables. I fold them. When they're folded a couple of times you can tie them in a loose half knot. Easy, and no tangles.

Yeah, I do the same for short leads. I've been criticised for doing it, but so long as the knot is very loose it's fine as you're not over-stressing the cores. Never had one fail on me yet, and I've been doing it for decades! However I've got a load of 50' speaker leads, and once you've folded them about 100 times (!), and then loose-knotted them, when you come to use them again they get in a right old tangle. So for these long ones I have always used the 'over/under' technique - it's a lot like what the guy in the vid does, and achieves the same effect, but I find it's the easiest way to do it.

Archived