Gibson Brands Forums

1960 tribute

RonO

I see from previous posts that the serial number can not be accurately identified. I have a marking of 2ND above the serial number ofF303000. I am wondering what the 2ND means.

Thank you

It means it was returned for something, anything, any little thing, fixed and sent back out to be sold.

rct

It means it was returned for something, anything, any little thing, fixed and sent back out to be sold.

rct

ok sounds good was thinking worse than that as it is a very nice guitar and plays and sounds awesome.

will this effect the value of the instrument?

Yes, but that is why they are great finds sometimes. They are usually sold for less. But that does not mean they are valued any less for the way they sound, or play.

When someone hears you playing a guitar, they have no idea if it is a second or not; nor do they care.

I don't care either. I have a couple of guitars that have a "2nd' stamp on them. I value these guitars as much as my "1st" guitars.

Never have understood the "value" question you and others ask. I have never cared about what the monetary value is of any guitar I have ever bought. I buy them to play, not to resale. But I do make sure I find great deals when I buy a guitar, so in case I don't bond with the guitar and want to sell it at a later date, I can get a decent amount for the sale.

Any guitar sold that is not new, is going to lose some value. Just like a used car.

But a 2nd can be just as good as a new one in most cases.

Archived