Gibson Brands Forums

Grateful, for what I have...

charlie brown

Like many of us, here, I too seem to constantly look at, or for, another guitar.

I really only have 3 ("Bucket List" guitars) that I'd still LOVE to have, but realize

I may never actually own, at this point. And, I'm totally OK, with that. It's always

good to "dream!" [biggrin]

I've been going through all my guitars, doing a little seasonal maintenance, cleaning,

string changes, etc. I can't tell you, how "fortunate" I feel, to have what I have!

I truly wonder, at times, WHY I keep looking, even. But, I guess, it's just a bit of

what we DO, as guitar players. Maybe, especially, when we're not "gigging" anymore,

or if we are, not so much, these days. I don't know...but, I'm feeling pretty thankful,

for ALL the guitars I own, expensive and "cheapies" alike. Love 'em All!

That's all. [biggrin]

CB

But, I guess, it's just a bit of what we DO, as guitar players. !

[biggrin]

CB

Yep, I think that nails it CB.

If you love to play guitar than you're always looking at them, fixing them, modifying them, selling them and buying them.

That's just what we DO as guitar players! :)

p.s. I also am very thankful for all my guitars and drums and gear. Truly thankful. [-o<

It's not only a guitarist/musician thing.

Today it happens with lots of stuff, we are programmed that way now.

People seem to NEED something very badly, until they have it. And then it starts all over again. We always need something new and stimulating.

Sometimes I find myself looking for another guitar, amp or pedal and ask myself: Dude, really, I mean do you need that?

The answer is Hell NO!

When I'm at home with my stuff I don't waste one single second thinking: oh I need a Fender amp, or that fuzz would be nice.

I'm really too busy plying the heck out of my stuff.

To me it seems that very often there are things that create false needs in us, and sometimes that makes us forget the lovely gear we already have. According to the internet my gear sucks BIG TIME!

A MIC Orange with only 30 watts and modern valves. Instead of 100 watts of hardwired UK goodness.

No real reverb tank I have a digital cathedral in my loop.

Oh yeah A LOOP!

No true historic LP, just a boring modified 14 Traditinal and a 13 LPJ.

And both Fender's are MIM.

Everything played trough Fender cheap Fender cables.

I may burn in hell for all those tonesucking abominations, but I love it, and I am greatful.

In my book it's freakin' perfect.

I'm pretty well on board with everyone else so far. Also, have to be grateful that there are others who lust after guitars in similar fashion and who carry the same insights about their inclinations. I value you folks and this forum very highly!

Yep.

I'm down to six six string guitars with no real GAS for another. But lately I've been under motivated to play because I've developed some other interests. I don't want to quit, but I need some inspiration. So, I've decided to buy a bass. I've never owned a bass, and I think I might actually be a better bass player than guitarist. And once I discovered that a bass is tuned the same way as the top four strings of a guitar, that meant there would be no real learning curve in getting a feel for the fretboard.

My birthday is coming up in May, and I've already arranged to order a Mexican P-Bass through the closest Fender dealer and a 40 watt Roland Cube bass amp.

Good topic. I actually agree with most of the replies. I think I'm about over GAS, except I could be tempted by a Vintage/Antique Gibson IF the price was right. I love every guitar I have right now and I'm totally happy. But it's still fun to look.

feel similar, I'm blessed with what I have and most critical the health and time to play music as much as I do

I do think occasionally that I should try to move a few guitars, recoup some cash, but the return on $ isn't really worth it to me.

my last purchase (an SJ200) last year, which was one of my bucket list guitars killed most of my GAS. I waited a long time to grab that one, and the wait worth it.

Yes I too am very grateful for what I have but at the same time I realize how foolish I have been with my money at times...

feel similar, I'm blessed with what I have and most critical the health and time to play music as much as I do

Agree totally....yes indeed...

Amen. I know what you mean.

edit: If someone came to my door and wanted to buy, I'd probably part with a half dozen. But I'm either too lazy or sentimental to pack any off to a dealer or a show and hassle with a sales effort. "don't get around much anymore" either. So the number is ever growing on this end. Not my fault!

There is a technique I use to fight GAS attacks based on this thread theme. I remind myself that the old blues players would travel around with one old guitar and an amp to make their music, and I am blessed to own several (dozens) of guitars and several nice amps to choose from. It reminds me to play more and appreciate what I have. Sometimes it does work to fight off a GAS attack, other times I just end up with another guitar or amp to appreciate.

No regrets/apologies here. I love my collection and I am also grateful for what I have and am able to do.

When I was much younger there were certain guitars I focused on. Once I got to 4 players, I always had 3 or 4 players. As I got older I became interested in differences and the stable started to grow. Now all these years later, I'm not gigging anymore and yet I've got quite a few guitars . . . but there are still some I'm curious about owning. So there you have it - player to collector.

People collect all kinds of things - trading cards, coins, clocks. Once acquired, you can't do anything with these examples but look at them. . I'm happy with my guitars. I can play them for myself. Play them for other people and let other people play and appreciate them. The only thing that is beginning to slow down my acquisitions is the cost of insuring so many guitars. Eventually that's what will cause me to stop buying and cap my collection at some number. Until then I'll keep doing "just a bit of what we DO, as guitar players" and keep looking. B)

Sorry I'm a bit of an heretic and will likely get a minus for my comments.

I'm reducing numbers, and not lusting for more guitars at all.

However on the "lucky" theme, I'm incredibly lucky but that's nothing to do with "stuff" but people and the beauty of things around me....in fact in those terms I'm a millionaire.

Our youngest son had a serious heart attack this week aged 44. He survived and will probably be alright. The fact that we still have him is a richness beyond measure.

I read about that in the Epi forum, Dig - glad to hear he's recuperating.

Had to change the lifestyle a bit myself a few yrs ago; I got and still have 'paroxsysmal atrial fibrillation' - occasional dickey heartbeat.

This wasn't because of sex n' drugs n' rock n' roll (alas) either.....it was mainly coffee...I love my coffee and drank a big flask, nearly 2 pints, of Java-strength at work every day for 13 years.

Now - 2 cups of strong coffee and it would start. Not painful or directly life-threatening but it scares the sh*t out of me and I have to take a pill and lie down.

Stuff like this and AGE makes me see everything very differently...and I have 10 various guitars, a bass, a ukelele and not enough time!

Sorry I'm a bit of an heretic and will likely get a minus for my comments.

I'm reducing numbers, and not lusting for more guitars at all.

However on the "lucky" theme, I'm incredibly lucky but that's nothing to do with "stuff" but people and the beauty of things around me....in fact in those terms I'm a millionaire.

Our youngest son had a serious heart attack this week aged 44. He survived and will probably be alright. The fact that we still have him is a richness beyond measure.

Life, great family and friends, are precious! [thumbup] "Material" items, are just that. But, our guitars bring us, and our friends and

family some joy, and entertainment. So, they (to me) are a bit more than just a "material" acquisition. And, I have some guitars

I simply would never part with, due to their value, beyond the monetary, as they've been gifts, or one's I have owned, played, and

loved, for decades. There are some, I could part with, but...unless, the circumstances dictate it, I probably won't, as I learned

a long time ago, about seller's remorse. I've done enough "homework," and demoing, that I rarely get "buyer's remorse." But, that

painful seller's remorse is very familiar. Might sound silly, but "that's the way it is," as Cronkite used to sign off! [biggrin]

So, until my gear actually becomes a "burden," or I can no longer play, at all, here it stays! [tongue][biggrin]

Glad your son is on the road to recovery, Digger! [thumbup] Godspeed, to all!

CB

I've 3 guitars currently and could happily make do with one. I may well sell the vintage (just old really) ones and get a nice acoustic and a nice little tube amp and keep one electric at some stage. I've loved learning and playing guitar these past five years, it's filled the space team sports used to have in my life. To have played live gigs in all sorts of environments with others who probably also never thought they would, to write songs for an originals band, to take on lead vocals having never done any singing, to learn how to play as a band (team)....a great experience.

I may well call it a day for music after this year (there's a couple of things I want to achieve first) and spend more time with my kids and parents before it's too late on both scores, get my plans in place for retirement in 10-15 years time cos that needs to be done right for my wife, my boy with difficulties, and myself, to reacquaint myself with fishing, watch even more live bands, and do some work about the house as kids head off to University and adult life. Hence the idea of an electric, acoustic and sweet little amp to play around with if I choose feels like a nice goal for the next couple of years. That'll do me.

I also concur with many of the sentiments expressed. Last week I was looking online and saw an ES 335 for sale, it was a 2016 model and the asking price was $2299, I may have been able to negotiate a bit more off the price and sat looking at the number to call. Then I had to reign in my desire and think about my daughter's upcoming wedding, and the guitar suddenly was not a necessity or a want. My daughter's special day is far more important to me than another guitar.

I do have to say that it was a struggle for few minutes, I simply had to get my emotions in check and it was clear that I did not need to buy anything at this time.

Wants or need? It was something that definitely was not a need, a clear case of want.

Anne's happiness quickly outweighed any future purchases until we get the wedding paid off. eusa_naughty.gif

Archived