Gibson Brands Forums

Pleasure & Pain!!

Digger

Blackberries_zps5xp3hnpq.jpg

Blackberries a an environmental nightmare in Oz a bit like rabbits! However when they are ripe a bowl of blackberries and ice cream knows few equals.

Being a good "farmer" I spray the outbreaks around my property in an attempt to eradicate them but I can't stop the foxes and birds reseeding the joint along with a nice dose of fertiliser, and so they keep coming back. We have vacant land opposite owned by absentee landlords, they have a big sign "Don't Trespass" on the fence but hey I'm a neighbour just trying to minimise the spread of a pest plant around his property, aren't I, and what's more I don't charge him for the service, even though I will carry it out a few times for his benefit~

Blackberry entanglements here are undercut with rabbit burrows and frequently Mr Snake visits looking for a nice bit of free protein! Therefore long boots are a requirement as is stamping around to let him know to keep away. The pain starts with the thorns cruelly hanging onto your hands finger and thumbs, often often increasing exponentially when you have to rip free of them!

You will all know about the pain associated with this activity. You will all know about the pleasure of eating this succulent fruit and I wonder the many ways you might approach this?

Tonight for us it's simple, blackberries and vanilla ice cream.

Now if this story bores you see if Chrissy does too...........?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj-82dn75bg

I grew up in Georgia. In the Summer time, Blackberries could be found growing everywhere.

I have many fond memories of picking them and eating them right off the bush as a kid.

Sometimes you'd get one that might be a bit tart or sour. And sometimes you'd find some sweet ones that just tasted so good. [thumbup]

We also knew where a wild pear tree was out in the woods. Those pears were great.

Now I live in California. Not the same at all.

This thread makes me miss Georgia.

And those simpler times.

I'm all for simpler times too Brad in fact I have arranged it so I still live in one~

They were beautiful and I admit to having 2 helpings....very bad, I know. Some times enough just isn't!

Yesterday each time I got snagged on a thorn and had to drag my hand away I consoled myself by selecting the juiciest, fattest berry and immersing myself in total bliss!

We fed 3 with what I picked inc a small seconds for me and we still have 3/4 left, so maybe a pie?

I might take some to my mate who is recovering from a hip operation. That would put a smile on his face, wouldn't it?

I meant to add that for once the birds haven't got all our fruit and we've been eating peaches, nectarines, lots of nashi's and the start of the apples (I have 8 trees and a few are groaning) Pears are coming!

It's all magnificent and makes me dread the rest of the year with cardboard fruit from the supermarkets.

The smoothy sounds good. As a kid mom would always take us to pick them and that was way before they put in the interstate system. Years later, they did and they took all those trees down. Still find them around the lake I walk Sundance at. Usually the birds there get them.

Archived