Gibson Brands Forums

Losing My Job

cookieman15061

Another door opens or at least I'm hoping.

After 16 years with the same company, I've been informed that my position is being eliminated come the end of August. It's something I've seen coming for a little while but hoped it wouldn't happen for at least a couple more years. I'm not here to bad mouth my company. They have decided to change direction as they see the business model changing. In the end thousands will be affected as the change is rolled out across the country.

Personally I'm excited about a new beginning. I've had some employers already approach me about work if I wanted to continue in the same field but at 57 I'm kinda looking for a change. A chance to do something I really love. The pressure,stress and workload put on us the last few years made it difficult to say the least.

Here's to new beginnings. [thumbup]

The mere fact they gave you this much advance notice speaks highly of the company. Not a lot of companys do that in this day and age, and of course there are situations that, at times, don't allow them to because of unseen catastrophic events that happen suddenly that are beyond their control. I wish you the very best going forward and hope that your plans are realized sooner than later Sir!

I'm 59 and have been with 4 companies since 2010. Prior to that I was at same company 21 1/2 years at one company. Getting laid off in your 50s can be treacherous. People want to hire younger people. Despite what we hear it is still a bad economy. I'm praying this country can improve its economy in a year or so. Right now just getting rehired doesn't mean you are in the clear like it used to. That's what I learned the hard way.

Good luck with your future endeavors. It sounds like you have a good attitude about your job situation. That's half the battle. I was laid off from my last job when I was 37 (over 25 years ago!) and I ended up with a job from which I plan to retire from in 3 more years. Keep the faith.

I've been with the same federal agency since 1997 with a 3 year pause from 1999-2002 to work for a quasi-government agency, working under grants (in the same office!). With my level of education there is NO chance of promotion and I'm okay with that, as I make a comfortable living and in spite of the typical red tape, it's a good job.

In 2014 I was a pawn in a chess game where my supervisor got a divorce...and HIS boss was his ex wife. I was used as a tool to punish him. I was given a direct reassignment to another field office 55 miles away. So for 3 years I have been commuting. And not a good commute. I go 17 miles before I hit the 'main road'. Two way traffic through 6 towns. I telecommute one day a week so that helps. My supervisor is a 30 year old female who is out to prove herself, has the metabolism of a ferret, hovers like a mosquito, and watches my every move like I'm going to shoplift a paper clip. The office is small and my work station is right outside her office so my desk becomes a gathering place for everyone. Which means my work suffers.

For many months I prayed to God to either send me a miracle and get me out of that office or at the very least give me the strength to not walk in there locked and loaded. I weighed never seeing my family again against the satisfaction I would get....

I downloaded an app for my phone that counts down the time until August 27, 2022 when I turn 62 and will have had 20 years and one month of service.

Good. Bye.

Through a strange sequence of events, the paperwork is on some HR person's desk to transfer me back to the original field office, which is a 15 mile commute and is laid out where I can actually have a thought without everyone overhearing it. This transfer could take place any day or it could be a few weeks away. In the meantime, I will be working 3 days a week at the sh1t office and 2 days a week at my old desk. I feel like my death sentence has been commuted and I have a parole hearing coming up.

But the countdown clock keeps ticking. I refuse to work another 2,3,5 years so my check can be $8 more a month. I want to volunteer at the animal shelter a few days a week, maybe make birdhouses or something, hang around the music store and at the very least clean up all their friggin' TRASH in the basement and back rooms that nobody seems to want to be bothered to clean up! And that's not to mention the grounds keeping projects I will be taking on, since I bought five vacant lots last year and I will probably buy more....and my wife bought me a chain saw for Christmas.

Sorry about the hijack, I just needed to vent about job stuff.

Good Luck with the new opportunity/ When we sold our company in 96 I did a complete 180, and worked in the car business, not traditional sales .but developing eBay in the dealership. We were the first dealer in the Ga. area to enter the arena. It was frightening and exciting, to say the least. It opened up many doors for me and lead me to some interesting careers along the way, just buckle up and look forward to what the future may hold for you. As you said a door closes, and another opens.msp_thumbup.gif

Best of luck Cookieman and you seem to have the kind of positive attitude that will open doors for you, and I hope they do.

As for Scott, mate what a bugger of a situation they have you in!

Sometimes you just have to live for now as that is all you can be sure you have.

Good luck mate!

Best of luck to you with your job/career change. You seem like a smart guy, and I'm sure you have many skills that will translate wherever you decide to go.

I spent 18 years working various positions with the airlines. Totally changed gears, and have been a machinist for the past 10 years.

I'm sure it'll all work out for you.

I retired from the military in 2011 and since then I have worked for 5 different companies and I am ready to go to another. I get bored or get fed up with who I work for and I move on. Not sure what you do but if you have skills you will land another position.

I had 16 jobs in my working life, once I got it working properly there was no challenge and I'd go do something new.

I was told it was typical of Vienam Veterans, maybe all veterans?

1488044181[/url]' post='1837634']

I've been with the same federal agency since 1997 with a 3 year pause from 1999-2002 to work for a quasi-government agency, working under grants (in the same office!). With my level of education there is NO chance of promotion and I'm okay with that, as I make a comfortable living and in spite of the typical red tape, it's a good job.

In 2014 I was a pawn in a chess game where my supervisor got a divorce...and HIS boss was his ex wife. I was used as a tool to punish him. I was given a direct reassignment to another field office 55 miles away. So for 3 years I have been commuting. And not a good commute. I go 17 miles before I hit the 'main road'. Two way traffic through 6 towns. I telecommute one day a week so that helps. My supervisor is a 30 year old female who is out to prove herself, has the metabolism of a ferret, hovers like a mosquito, and watches my every move like I'm going to shoplift a paper clip. The office is small and my work station is right outside her office so my desk becomes a gathering place for everyone. Which means my work suffers.

For many months I prayed to God to either send me a miracle and get me out of that office or at the very least give me the strength to not walk in there locked and loaded. I weighed never seeing my family again against the satisfaction I would get....

I downloaded an app for my phone that counts down the time until August 27, 2022 when I turn 62 and will have had 20 years and one month of service.

Good. Bye.

Through a strange sequence of events, the paperwork is on some HR person's desk to transfer me back to the original field office, which is a 15 mile commute and is laid out where I can actually have a thought without everyone overhearing it. This transfer could take place any day or it could be a few weeks away. In the meantime, I will be working 3 days a week at the sh1t office and 2 days a week at my old desk. I feel like my death sentence has been commuted and I have a parole hearing coming up.

But the countdown clock keeps ticking. I refuse to work another 2,3,5 years so my check can be $8 more a month. I want to volunteer at the animal shelter a few days a week, maybe make birdhouses or something, hang around the music store and at the very least clean up all their friggin' TRASH in the basement and back rooms that nobody seems to want to be bothered to clean up! And that's not to mention the grounds keeping projects I will be taking on, since I bought five vacant lots last year and I will probably buy more....and my wife bought me a chain saw for Christmas.

Sorry about the hijack, I just needed to vent about job stuff.

I'm tired of being the boss,I want to cause the boss some stress is my ideal next employment. But I know I'm unemployable so I settle for causing my wife stress.

I'm tired of being the boss,I want to cause the boss some stress is my ideal next employment. But I know I'm unemployable so I settle for causing my wife stress.

Yeah I've been in middle management for 35 years with 3 different companies and I am tired of having to take my work home with me. My current job became a 24\7 proposition about 5 years ago. 45 co-workers got shown the door and that business was of course passed to the rest of us.

Soon it became common to start getting text, emails and phone calls at 5 am. More and more weekends were lost because as a salaried employee I was told that even though we were understaffed it was my job to make it work.

I'm certainly not complaining. Many of my friends lost their jobs in the last few years but I was able to provide for my family, pay for my only daughters wedding and take care of my Mom after Dad passed away.

I may have to change my name though,as cookieman may not fit anymore.

Another door opens or at least I'm hoping.

After 16 years with the same company, I've been informed that my position is being eliminated come the end of August. It's something I've seen coming for a little while but hoped it wouldn't happen for at least a couple more years. I'm not here to bad mouth my company. They have decided to change direction as they see the business model changing. In the end thousands will be affected as the change is rolled out across the country.

Personally I'm excited about a new beginning. I've had some employers already approach me about work if I wanted to continue in the same field but at 57 I'm kinda looking for a change. A chance to do something I really love. The pressure,stress and workload put on us the last few years made it difficult to say the least.

Here's to new beginnings. [thumbup]

Sorry to hear that you are about to be laid off, but I am glad to hear that some other employers have reached out to you, hope you find something good soon.

I am from Australia, and our economy is going down the drain real fast with lays off every week, due to a bad economy.

Archived