Gibson Brands Forums

Directory confusion

olie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I do not mind those who do post their performances.

Me neither (in the Gibson Lounge or Gibson Acoustic). I think it's a matter of traffic. A lot more people frequent one board and rarely frequent another. Personally, I typically just hit "view new content," so I'd probably see a new posting in 'The Performance Hall'. But if I just checked the Lounge, Gibson and Epi Acoustic, I wouldn't see that new performance....

This was discussed a few years back. A minority seemed offended by the posting of performances here in the Acoustic forum, never was clear why. So the mods setup the pinned thread Your Acoustical Performances. This solution drew fire from others as being confusing and difficult to follow, and the consensus was that performance threads posted as "stand alone" was preferred by the majority. This protocol is acceptable to most, but as above, for some reason there are those that are disturbed by it. Like any other thread posted here, all are free to ignore those that irritate them, including performance threads.

Bottomline: what does it matter who posts what, or where it's posted? If it is a subject of interest to the reader, great......make a valid contribution. Like the millions of books in libraries, we are all free to pick and choose what we read. Yes?

This was discussed a few years back. A minority seemed offended by the posting of performances here in the Acoustic forum, never was clear why. So the mods setup the pinned thread Your Acoustical Performances. This solution drew fire from others as being confusing and difficult to follow, and the consensus was that performance threads posted as "stand alone" was preferred by the majority. This protocol is acceptable to most, but as above, for some reason there are those that are disturbed by it. Like any other thread posted here, all are free to ignore those that irritate them, including performance threads.

Bottomline: what does it matter who posts what, or where it's posted? If it is a subject of interest to the reader, great......make a valid contribution. Like the millions of books in libraries, we are all free to pick and choose what we read. Yes?

Agree totally, Buc. One reason some of us have lived as long as we have is because we figured that out long ago. At least, considering some of the bar gigs I played in the 1960's (not all of which embraced Flower Power by any means) I believe that to be the case😄

I like hearing the music here. If you don't - fine and dandy.

Mind if I ask... why don't you just not click on it, or better yet, even "ignore" the poster (such as myself). My feelings wont be hurt.

No I don't mind your asking...there is a discrete forum for musical sharing. I didn't think that this was one and the same. If I wish to hear people's offerings I know where to find them. Just seems like double-dipping is all.Sort of like when someone posts here about electric basses. It's not the forum for it.

Sure -but you don't find books of fiction filed in the anthropology stacks.

I read and reread the OP's post and it just reads to me as close-minded and negative. I would say that such sentiments seem antithetical to music and the creative process and I question its purpose on a music forum. Do you have a solution or just expressing that a random forum that exists in the world, not made exclusively for you, should somehow be weighted in the direction that you have formulated in your head according to your personal tastes and preferences? Perhaps you might need to look into a mirror for a while. It really helps.

No I don't mind your asking...there is a discrete forum for musical sharing. I didn't think that this was one and the same. If I wish to hear people's offerings I know where to find them. Just seems like double-dipping is all.Sort of like when someone posts here about electric basses. It's not the forum for it.

I can appreciate having a sense of order and organization. I can also laugh at my obvious OCD when people notice that I align my guitars from left to right in order by oldest to newest. Or still fold my underwear into six inch squares USMC fashion after 50 years of civilian life. My point is that taking the small stuff too seriously isn't healthy.

I read and reread the OP's post and it just reads to me as close-minded and negative. I would say that such sentiments seem antithetical to music and the creative process and I question its purpose on a music forum. Do you have a solution or just expressing that a random forum that exists in the world, not made exclusively for you, should somehow be weighted in the direction that you have formulated in your head according to your personal tastes and preferences? Perhaps you might need to look into a mirror for a while. It really helps.

Easy, Turtle, ea-see. :mellow: . Please consider the possibility that the OP just wants to keep things organized. His post was not filled with accusations, but just a question. I remember seeing tbiii some time back opining on threads that get derailed from the original topic (his thinking might've been that these threads hang around for a long time, and it might be best to keep it organized for anyone doing research about a specific topic), to the point that I feel guilty asking follow up questions that might meander from the OP (see my post in the 2016 HB Vintage thread).

Hell of a lot more interesting, informational, and inspiring than what someone ate for breakfast - not to mention more appropriate.

Hey! How do you know?- my breakfast might be downright inspirational [smile] !

Easy, Turtle, ea-see. :mellow: . Please consider the possibility that the OP just wants to keep things organized. His post was not filled with accusations, but just a question. I remember seeing tbiii some time back opining on threads that get derailed from the original topic (his thinking might've been that these threads hang around for a long time, and it might be best to keep it organized for anyone doing research about a specific topic), to the point that I feel guilty asking follow up questions that might meander from the OP (see my post in the 2016 HB Vintage thread).

I humbly chastise myself for disrespecting your (or anyone's) breakfast. I am a mean-spirited a-hole and do not deserve to associate with others. 😐😒😊😄😂

Mind if I ask... why don't you just not click on it, or better yet, even "ignore" the poster (such as myself). My feelings wont be hurt.

That's what I usually do...skip 'em. I come here to read what's new about Gibson gear not for an open mic night. But you gotta admit if it wasn't for the open mic postings this place would be a lot quieter....there's just not that much traffic here.

I do not post performances but enjoy seeing them. No problem to skip over the ones I do not care for. There's appropriate topics posted that I do not care for and skip over. What's the difference?

😮Difference?

😱How DARE they?

😧What are we to do?

😣Simply disGUSting

😩I won't HAVE it!

😡Not gonna take it!

😢You're just mean...

😬Pan-tees in a bunch

💩And I really mean it!

I don't see any difference either.

That's what I usually do...skip 'em. I come here to read what's new about Gibson gear not for an open mic night. But you gotta admit if it wasn't for the open mic postings this place would be a lot quieter....there's just not that much traffic here.

Well, what's new in gear is good to find out. Not my main motive, but so what? I feel as though we can all learn and grow in a variety of ways if we accept that it's not ever going to be all about any one person's favorite hobby horse.

I'm feeling fine thanks and I feel comfortable with what I wrote. Too many people are sharing what they do with Gibsons? When someone posts a valueless post questioning why their bias' are not magically catered to.... I think it would be nicer here without that.

Archived