Gibson Brands Forums

My Guitar Show report

Rabs

I get jealous of towns with great guitar shows. My town has a sorry show. Vendors show up wanting Amazon prices. I had one guy try and sell me a set of used humbuckers I was interested in for a project guitar. He wanted the same as new ones just like it cost plus I paid $10 to get in.

Another vendor had two old Harmonys and I was restoring a Harmony at the time(2015) so I asked him if he was knowledgeable about Harmonys for a starter. He said "what?" I started to repeat my question even though I knew he heard me but instead I walked off. I wasn't going to beat it out of him.

I attended looking to buy a decent used LP Jr and nobody had one.

Someone online was at the same show said it was the worst show he had been too.

It's the same with gun shows in my town here in SC.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to a couple of gun shows, they have them here and there but guitar shows are never around here that I know of. Congrats on the show with your guitars Rabs. Hope you start selling lots of them. That gal was very good to, surprised me.

Well, well, well, I remember the time Rabs when you were first mooting all this guitar building. The uncertainty of it and whether to go for it or not.

But you did go for it and it looks to me that you are well on your way!

Well done! [thumbup]

That lady must have been a shocker even if also a delight. It just goes to show...

As for hotels there was a time a few years ago when I was staying overnight in Birmingham quite a bit. I hate Travelodges so would always stay in various Premier Inn Birmingham locations which I never found too bad.

Many congratulations Rabs.

I can hear how noisy it was in the clips!

There are some nice parts of Birmingham but as I haven't been there for over 20 yrs they may have all been 'redeveloped' by now...

You sold one!?!?!? Excellent news. Sounds like it all went very well. Did you see our friend Ben? Or Monty?

Yup :D

Im so curious on what he thinks... I just really hope he liked it as much when he got it home.. You know how some times when you are buying the GAS sets in and just makes you over excited then you get back an its not quite what you thought or you notice other stuff you didn't at first.. you know what I mean. AND that it performs as he needs it too (like being not too noisy on stage etc)..

And yes I did see Ben a few times... He came over and looked at my prices and said, they are too cheap (which he said at the last show). Yet at the end of the show I saw him again beaming that id sold one and he said he hadn't at the show but took a couple of orders... At which point I should have said to him, maybe your guitars are too expensive :D but I didn't.

And thank you to the rest of you guys.. The support is and has been much appreciated. [thumbup]

Many congrats, Rabs!

The whole experience sounds (pun) almost too much to comprehend in a 'real-time' scenario. Your own personal experience must have been amazing!

And Jane should certainly be awarded an honorary +1 for her own contribution to the weekend.

Here's hoping there's more to come out of the deal!

msp_thumbup.gif

I'm not going to comment on what should be the going rate for your instruments but FWIW when I first started out as a freelance one of my old mentors told me an old adage;

"You can milk a cow every day; but you can only skin it once....".

Pip.

FWIW I think your pricing seems appropriate for the first phase of getting a few sold and clearing some of the early builds as you were building ideas and skills. You are in the zone where people can then choose a uk hand built guitar for the price of the Mexican, Korean, SE Asian models from Fender, Reverend, Jackson, PRS etc...which seems a thought provoking choice versus going up against Gibson, Fender USA etc which might be more appropriate as you develop as a luthier. I think your pricing would make people stop and consider your product which is what you want in early days. As long as you have other income means to live on, you might well slowly build up your guitar sales and then reconsider pricing. Just my opinion obviously. Again - well done.

Many congrats, Rabs!

The whole experience sounds (pun) almost too much to comprehend in a 'real-time' scenario. Your own personal experience must have been amazing!

And Jane should certainly be awarded an honorary +1 for her own contribution to the weekend.

Here's hoping there's more to come out of the deal!

msp_thumbup.gif

I'm not going to comment on what should be the going rate for your instruments but FWIW when I first started out as a freelance one of my old mentors told me an old adage;

"You can milk a cow every day; but you can only skin it once....".

Pip.

Thank you sir...

Yes, Jane was certainly one of the highlights of the weekend for me.. It was just astonishing...

And with my prices... Yes it seemed a huge talking point for many of the people I spoke too.. But as I say once I explained why all of them actually agreed and seemed to appreciate it... So we will see what happens... Its all a bit of a gamble which direction one wants to take when trying to start a business...

But id rather do it the way I do than use all of the most expensive hardware just cos of the brand name value and charge £2000 plus trying to reach the higher end... And actually from the show id say there were many people who actually would appreciate it.. and I think I can make it work so... we will see :)

FWIW I think your pricing seems appropriate for the first phase of getting a few sold and clearing some of the early builds as you were building ideas and skills. You are in the zone where people can then choose a uk hand built guitar for the price of the Mexican, Korean, SE Asian models from Fender, Reverend, Jackson, PRS etc...which seems a thought provoking choice versus going up against Gibson, Fender USA etc which might be more appropriate as you develop as a luthier. I think your pricing would make people stop and consider your product which is what you want in early days. As long as you have other income means to live on, you might well slowly build up your guitar sales and then reconsider pricing. Just my opinion obviously. Again - well done.

Exactly.. Thank you [thumbup]

Im aiming at a spot in the market that I actually think there is demand for... and as you say.. These are my fist batch... The beechwood guitar is like my third ever complete build and I had loads of people pick that one up..

As I have said, im not trying to con anyone just cos they are hand made guitars. Im trying to be as straight up as I can and hope people want and appreciate it..

If I it will work... We will see .. but I will keep at it as long as I can. :)

Congrats, Rabs, on your first sales! [thumbup] A big leap forward I believe. :)

The short video clip of the Blues Lady surprise is awesome.

Your business may have started to run there as you always intended. I hope you meanwhile caught up on sleep! [rolleyes]

Congrats, Rabs, on your first sales! [thumbup] A big leap forward I believe. :)

The short video clip of the Blues Lady surprise is awesome.

Your business may have started to run there as you always intended. I hope you meanwhile caught up on sleep! [rolleyes]

Thanks man...

Yes, I got an amazing sleep last night/today... Still feel a bit out of it, almost like jet lag.. But im sure I will be back to normal tomorrow.. I need to finish my latest build :D

(and probably start a new one with this boost from the weekend, it really was great)

Mate awesome post and you guitars look (and sound) lovely.

Thank you for such a great story.

You certainly earned a like for that.

Cheers man.. :)

And you wernt on this section much I don't think when I started all of this.. But ive shared the whole story on here and the support I have had from these great people on this forum has just been incredible... So to you and all (as I have said many times but it will never be enough to truly thank you) I appreciate it more than I can explain. Thank you [thumbup]

Damn Rabs!!! :o I missed this entire thread somehow. RABS!!! I am so proud of you man - I must have missed a whole bunch of steps in your progress brother. I knew you were making some beautiful guitars but I had no idea you were showing your works at a Guitar Extravaganza! :o :o :o

And making sales too [thumbup]

This is wonderful on so many levels - and your gear looked GREAT!!! Congratulations!!!! :)

Ohhh and in all this excitement I almost forgot.. I also met Pesh who came along, nice guy... Thanks for coming and saying hello man.. Always good to meet people who we talk to so much on here in real life [thumbup]

'twas a pleasure to meet you, too! msp_biggrin.gif Yep I was there - flew in all the way from sunny Spain as I'm that much of a guitar geek. Had to have a selfie of course - forum friends finally meet!

AB48ADC8-BEF4-419C-9311-6BE42ACEABC9_zps5dvv5bxp.jpg

I managed to spend only £25 or so plus the lunch (which was a pretty good curry, no?) and got myself a Jam Jar amplifier.

1522B8ED-44B3-4F09-B379-077F99C9B92A_zps6o9iycmz.jpg

I came close to buying some stuff though; spoke to a guy at Gryphin Amps and discussed a possible slightly custom order of one of their 50 watt models. I got myself an Orange OR15 last year - at the time I was on the fence on the OR15 or the OR50; I decided to go with the OR15 in the end for cost and my requirements. A mistake only in the sense that the OR50 has since been discontinued and I'm gandering for an amp with a bit more headroom for the larger things.

And of course; I got to try your blue flame top model, and almost instantly decided I need something with P90's in it, because...damn!

B3B83788-8D51-4033-9BAD-1E44DED5E99D_zpsfi8f9vtj.jpg

80F76A81-10AF-4BB4-B394-BBEEA9041950_zpsdrguwqa7.jpg

I'll be getting my full album up soon; got a lot of photos from the show and I still need to sort through them all!

'twas a pleasure to meet you, too! msp_biggrin.gif Yep I was there - flew in all the way from sunny Spain as I'm that much of a guitar geek. Had to have a selfie of course - forum friends finally meet!

I managed to spend only £25 or so plus the lunch (which was a pretty good curry, no?) and got myself a Jam Jar amplifier.

I came close to buying some stuff though; spoke to a guy at Gryphin Amps and discussed a possible slightly custom order of one of their 50 watt models. I got myself an Orange OR15 last year - at the time I was on the fence on the OR15 or the OR50; I decided to go with the OR15 in the end for cost and my requirements. A mistake only in the sense that the OR50 has since been discontinued and I'm gandering for an amp with a bit more headroom for the larger things.

And of course; I got to try your blue flame top model, and almost instantly decided I need something with P90's in it, because...damn!

I'll be getting my full album up soon; got a lot of photos from the show and I still need to sort through them all!

Yes was good to finally meet [thumbup]

And for those who don't know.. Im the one with the glasses and the beard (ohh wait [flapper] ) :) Well im sure you guys know which one I am by now..

Yeah I saw that jar amp too.. pretty cool little things......

And yes.. YOU NEED A GUITAR WITH P90s (a flamed blue double cut one ;) ) But seriously, you do need a P90 guitar... If you are one that likes the sound of them (cos not everyone does) then there is nothing else quite like a good P90 (and the ones in that blue DC are Gibson I might add).

(ohh and that curry was pretty good actually [thumbup], I had it for lunch both days )

Great thread and great posting of the vid with the lady rocker!! I never knew your avatar was an axe you made. Better yet, I never knew you even was a luthier!!! Thanks for posting and sharing. I always thought the guitar in your avatar was cool looking!! I would love to see some more of your guitars. You have a website or facebook page?

Great thread and great posting of the vid with the lady rocker!! I never knew your avatar was an axe you made. Better yet, I never knew you even was a luthier!!! Thanks for posting and sharing. I always thought the guitar in your avatar was cool looking!! I would love to see some more of your guitars. You have a website or facebook page?

Thank you . And well I have been trying to get going (all a long story really how I ended up doing this) for about a year and a half... Missed this show last year as I was too late too book.

I have a youtube page with build videos and demos (most of them you can see in the picture of my stand)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCst6d0hYtUPV-EMcX_4-Pwg

And a facebook page where I post my current builds

https://www.facebook.com/RabsWoodGuitars/

I do have a web site but you will see more on my Youtube and Facebook pages (gotta update my web site)

Also you must have seen my latest stuff on the DIY thread too :) (that awesome black korina wood im using, hmmm cant wait to get that finished)

Archived