Gibson Brands Forums

Speaker cab connections (follow up)

Johnny 6 String

Guest Farnsbarns

Hey Farns;

As promised follow up to the assistance you provided.

You may recall this;

31707052470_417f2ce161_b.jpg

Which became this;

33001986362_6f6101da96_b.jpg

So I could do this;

33030789671_878fcb5348_b.jpg

So thanks again, I couldn't be happier with my little bedroom rig.

Johnny

Ahhh, good man. Glad I could help. Thanks for the followup!

How does it sound?

Ahhh, good man. Glad I could help. Thanks for the followup!

How does it sound?

It's a great little amp, tube pre and SS power, effects loop. Really like the tone stack, seems to be more of a filter with a shiftable notch rather than just cutting highs.

Responds well to volume at the guitar and a variety of pick ups, really like mini and P90s with this amp, not that HBs are bad. Some of my other amps don't seem to like the minis and 90s as much.

One if the best things about it though is that it sounds great even at lower (other people in the house) volumes. I've also got a Vox VT30 with attenuation and the Orange just sounds better at that level, the Vox losses something to me at the same volumes.

Don't need a dirt pedal in front of it like my Epi junior head (was using the 1st Orange cab with it until I got the micro dark at Xmas).

Can't wait to get it over to my friends to jam and give it a good work out (if I ever get more than one day off a week again).

Bit of a ramble I guess, but thanks again.

Johnny

Guest Farnsbarns

It's a great little amp, tube pre and SS power, effects loop. Really like the tone stack, seems to be more of a filter with a shiftable notch rather than just cutting highs.

Responds well to volume at the guitar and a variety of pick ups, really like mini and P90s with this amp, not that HBs are bad. Some of my other amps don't seem to like the minis and 90s as much.

One if the best things about it though is that it sounds great even at lower (other people in the house) volumes. I've also got a Vox VT30 with attenuation and the Orange just sounds better at that level, the Vox losses something to me at the same volumes.

Don't need a dirt pedal in front of it like my Epi junior head (was using the 1st Orange cab with it until I got the micro dark at Xmas).

Can't wait to get it over to my friends to jam and give it a good work out (if I ever get more than one day off a week again).

Bit of a ramble I guess, but thanks again.

Johnny

Cool. One thing to be aware of. If you were to have a cable connected to the "out" socket on the cab you modded but nothing connected to the other end of that cable, you would have no load. This is only likely to happen when moving/setting up. You're obviously pretty smart and I guess you worked that out but I'd feel bad if it happened and I hadn't said anything.

Thanks for mentioning the no load. I'd figured that out by putting a multimeter through its paces before I buttoned everything back up, I hate taking stuff a part twice. But its definitely worth mentioning as the whole process was to avoid toasting the tranny with a miss matched load never mind no load and you never know who else might read this, I've learned a lot on this forum just by reading.

Johnny

Archived