Gibson Brands Forums

What's the material for back and sides of 1942 J-45 reissue ?

gotomsdos

Hi, guys out there.

As you may know I just got a Banner J-45(1944), but I just do not dare to take it outdoor, cause there are some very naughty kids around my playing place who casually throw everything on their hands to everywhere as long as they want.

So now I need an inexpensive J-45 for outdoor fun.

I just paid for a 1942 J-45 reissue for sale on UMGF. But some says Gibson has not been using Honduras mahogany since 2011. Is it true ? all model acoustic including 1942 J-45 reissue and even J-45 Legend ?

...........there are some bad kids around my playing place who casually throw everything on their hands to everywhere as long as they want. So now I need a inexpensive J-45 for outdoor fun.

Sounds like you should invest in a goalie mask and some shin guards as well...........that or find a new place to play. [flapper]

Have no idea about the mahogany Gibson might be using.

Hi, guys out there.

As you may know I just got a Banner J-45(1944), but I just do not dare to take it outdoor, cause there are some bad kids around my playing place who casually throw everything on their hands to everywhere as long as they want.

So now I need a inexpensive J-45 for outdoor fun.

I just paid for a 1942 J-45 reissue for sale on UMGF. But some says Gibson has not been using Honduras mahogany since 2011. Is it true ? all model acoustic ? same to 1942 J-45 reissue, and even J-45 Legend ?

That J45 you bought from Steve used to be mine. Steve bought it from me.

Back and sides are Honduran mahogany. It's a beautiful guitar in looks, sound and play ability.

I liked this guitar better then the Legend I once owned.

Back and sides are Honduran mahogany. It's a beautiful guitar in looks, sound and play ability.

WooooooooooooW ! fp !

Yours ? What a coincidence ! Small globe...

Honduran mahogany. Really? too good to be true? Would you mind giving some info resource ?

[[One of my guitar pals who have a J-45 Legend says 1942 J-45 reissue should have non-South American mahogany as back and sides. I'm a bit frustrated(but anyway I'd still want it). So posted to ask]]

Don't worry it is true mahogany used by Gibson on this model and many more of their guitars.

Your friend is wrong, he may be thinking of Madagascar rosewood that they are no longer using ?

Honduran mahogany, botanical name is Swietenia macrophylla, common names , big leaf mahogany, American mahogany, genuine mahogany.

It grows from southern Mexico, through Central America.

Whether it grows in Honduras, Mexico or one of the other Central American countries it is the same tree and wood.

This guitar you bought is not African or Philippine mahogany. I've been a wood worker all my life and since I owned this particular guitar, actually I've owned two of them as well as one of the SJ's from this JT project, I have seen it and can identify it.

Your friend is right that it's not South American mahogany because it supposedly does not grow in South America !

This is all I'm going to say on the subject. Enjoy this new guitar and I hope you like big necks because it certainly has that !

Frank.

Thanks for the information, fp. I knew that the guitar was speced for Honduran, but Gibson count me out of the loop midway through the project and I never received any more information.

Don't worry it is true mahogany used by Gibson on this model and many more of their guitars.

Your friend is wrong, he may be thinking of Madagascar rosewood that they are no longer using ?

Honduran mahogany, botanical name is Swietenia macrophylla, common names , big leaf mahogany, American mahogany, genuine mahogany.

It grows from southern Mexico, through Central America.

Whether it grows in Honduras, Mexico or one of the other Central American countries it is the same tree and wood.

This guitar you bought is not African or Philippine mahogany. I've been a wood worker all my life and since I owned this particular guitar, actually I've owned two of them as well as one of the SJ's from this JT project, I have seen it and can identify it.

Your friend is right that it's not South American mahogany because it supposedly does not grow in South America !

This is all I'm going to say on the subject. Enjoy this new guitar and I hope you like big necks because it certainly has that !

Frank.

Thank you Frank so much !

As for back and sides, You mean it's from somewhere in Central America ?

As for fretboard and bridge, wonder if I'm wrong: you even think that the stuff for fretboard and bridge of 1942 J-45 reissue is Madagascar rosewood ?

As for big neck, I don't care. Wonder if I'm able to fully handle it. But duluthdan says his small-medium size hand can play it. So my medium size hand, I guess, can play it...hope so.

As for big neck, I don't care. Wonder if I'm able to fully handle it. But duluthdan says his small-medium size hand can play it. So my medium size hand, I guess, can play it...hope so.

I tend to like a smaller-and-low profile neck myself, but -- wonder of wonders! -- I actually feel very comfortable with my large-necked Banner guitar. It's been perfectly set up by master guitar repairer Dennis Berck, and the guitar plays very nicely and does not tire my hand at all.

Hope your J-45 re-issue is the same!

Fred

I tend to like a smaller-and-low profile neck myself, but -- wonder of wonders! -- I actually feel very comfortable with my large-necked Banner guitar. It's been perfectly set up by master guitar repairer Dennis Berck, and the guitar plays very nicely and does not tire my hand at all.

Hope your J-45 re-issue is the same!

Fred

Welcome Fred !

Hope my guess is right.

What banner do you have ?

Thank you Frank so much !

As for back and sides, You mean it's from somewhere in Central America ?

As for fretboard and bridge, wonder if I'm wrong: you even think that the stuff for fretboard and bridge of 1942 J-45 reissue is Madagascar rosewood ?

Yes the mahogany would be from Central America, most likely Honduras or Belize.

To me the fret board and bridge looked like Madagascar rosewood. I'm not sure of it but it if it's Indian rosewood it's very nice regardless.

Yes the mahogany would be from Central America, most likely Honduras or Belize.

To me the fret board and bridge looked like Madagascar rosewood. I'm not sure of it but it if it's Indian rosewood it's very nice regardless.

Thank you Frank !

OK, I'm very content with your reply and help.

Any input from other guys would be much appreciated.

Thank you EA for telling me this, even though this is not my dish. it's the budget range for a guitar beginner.

Dont be fooled by such a naive assertion, have you played one ?

If I didnt have my SJ and AJ the J-15 would be right up there in the stable getting lot of play.

Its a superb guitar in its own right, better than many J-45's that Ive played.

Dont be fooled by such a naive assertion, have you played one ?

If I didnt have my SJ and AJ the J-15 would be right up there in the stable getting lot of play.

Its a superb guitar in its own right, better than many J-45's that Ive played.

OK, EA, thank you for reminding. I'll try it if any opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, fp. I just got it in Hong Kong the other day from one of my folks in CA !

Looks great ! Sounds nice but not loud(very good for strumming, gives a clear sound, not boommy). just elegent sound.

But It plays a bit stiff even with 012( I'm a fingerpicker). I just tune it down a flat, turns a bit soft which is what I prefer. So I'll use 011 on it to tune to standard pitch.

More, the first fret at bass side plays a bit tough, so I'll get that nut slot a little bit down with Stew Mac saw to get a easy press.

Thank you fp for your beauty which enables me to play a J-45 outdoor without too much worries and horror!

BTW, I'll install a KK mini to this guitar.

Now j-45/j-35 I have are as follows:

J-45 (1944),,very resonant, loud

1942 J-45 reissue (2013) ,,moderate, medium

1939 J-35 reissue (2011),,very crisp, brassy

So, how do you like the neck on the '42 45?

Oh, Glad to see you dan !

I just grabbed it and play very smoothly for a while after I got it and walked to an unoccupied area by the street. But it occured to me that this fella had a so called "baseball bat" neck, stopped, looked, felt it,,,WooooooooW, it did ! ...It turned out to be that I just forgot it...hahaha I have a medium sized hand.

Actually it's thicker than that of my 1944, cause I can use Paige capo on 1944 but not on it.

Not surprised on the capo. I have teo that work - a Dunlop Victor and a custom Elliott made specifically for my Legend.

Thank you dan.

I just bought a Shubb vintage capo from JT's recommendation link. It works well on 1942 J-45 reissue except that it's far heavier than Paige.

Archived