Gibson Brands Forums

Epi IB'64 Texan

Jinder

Hi all,

I picked up an unplayed and still boxed IB'64 Texan last year on the 'bay for an absolute steal (£200 delivered!) as a guitar for overseas shows where flying was a necessity, as I'm not a fan of flying with my Gibsons.

It surprised the heck out of me-such a GREAT guitar full stop, let alone for the money. I love everything about it and it gets as much play time as my Gibsons. Maybe I got an especially good one, but I literally can't fault it.

Are there any other Texan owners here? Mine is Sunburst and when gigs pick up in the coming months I'd be tempted to buy a natural finish one for altered tunings etc onstage. I string mine with 13s and tune down a semitone which works beautifully.

I have come close to purchasing one a couple of times but I'm so accustomed to 1 3/4" nut widths now I'm concerned the Texan would be too crowded..still the right vintage version might persuade me to give it a try. Glad you're pleased with yours!

I have the natural version of these. It's supposed to be my party-squire, but haven't seen fest-action yet.

Like dhanners623 I sanded mine last summer, which brought us closer (not dhanners and me). The high-gloss surface turned me off and it's much cühler in matt.

Around New Year I took a step further and revoiced the creature - that stunt made it a rather serious beater.

Have to add I don't play it often. The league difference against the G's is very clear. That said, one gets a lot of guitar for the tag.

I frankly think they'll grow into something special - given time simply move beyond the laminate and cheep copy-cat thing.

Btw. probably prefer the burst.

, , , almost forgot I also carved a new wider spaced black water-buffalo horn nut a few years back.

I have an '05 McCartney 1964 Texan, made by Terada-Japan for the Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser. I love that darn thing, so haven't been tempted by the IB-Texan. But.....

I've seen versions of the IB-Texan that were produced in both China and Indonesia. Of those, the ones made in Indonesia seem to tonally have more going for them, and some have sounded very good.

Also noteworthy: I looked at Epi's EL-00 Pro (solid spruce top) for an inexpensive knock around guitar, and out of four examples, found one that really stood out above the crowd. It's just a good guitar, period. And again, made in Indonesia.

Thanks for the replies, all!

I played mine at my gig this evening. Had a few people asking about it and complimenting the tone, it's just such a gem of a guitar. I'd be happy with it if I'd paid four figures for it.

I'm sitting here with it in my lap whilst picking some tunes and nursing a post-show glass of red wine, and I couldn't be happier. The only guitar I've owned that sounded similar was my old AJ, in terms of headroom and response, but the the Texan is louder, drier and livelier, presumably due to the hog.

Bobouz, I have an EL-00 too! Although mine is a VERY early one from the brief time when they were made in the L-1 shape. I'd wanted a good one for ages and a friend of mine locally bought an LG2 AE and offered me his EL-00 which he no longer had room at the inn for. I paid £140 with Epi hard case and Fishman Rare Earth pickup, the setup on it was in need of work, but I moonlight as a tech so I had no problem sorting that. A new saddle and a recut and shimmed nut later and we were in business...I love playing it and it does boxy blues and sweet folky picking perfectly. Sounds great plugged in too!

Congratulations, I have considered it a couple times myself and would not rule out the possibility in the future. I like your idea of using it to travel. I have not made up my mind if I want to go that direction or by a really good case to use for the Gibson's. Enjoy the guitar they are nice.

I had two of the IB Texans. One was awesome, the other was just ok. If you get a good one they are sweet guitars. For some reason I though Epiphone stopped making them and a year or so ago Guitar Center was blowing them out. I could be wrong. Tried looking them up on Epiphone's site some time ago and didnt see them, but Epiphone's site was confusing at that time to navigate.

Edit: Found the Texan on the Epiphone site. Guess they re-did the site and it's super easy to find stuff now. Not to derail, but this Epiphone has me drooling. Yeah, I know it's not an acoustic, but it's drool worthy! http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Designer/Ltd-Ed-Joe-Bonamassa-Treasure-Firebird-I.aspx

That's stunning, SB! Love the simplicity of the single mini 'bucker and the gold finish, very nice!

Interesting that you mention your Texans differing from one another...I wonder if yours came from different factories? Mine is an Indonesian one.

I picked up an unplayed and still boxed IB'64 Texan last year on the 'bay for an absolute steal (£200 delivered!)...

I got a great deal on mine, too - a little over 200 bucks. Somebody must have bought it, then returned it to the store I got it from; it was essentially new.

I was not so sure about the cherryburst. I thought it might be a bit too.... cherry. But when I opened up the shipping box, wow! I love that burst!

tex002.jpg

I can't agree more. The Insp By Texan is a great little box. I picked mine up from a pawn shop for $200. Mine is a 2010 vintage natural top. It looks like it's never been played and sounds outstanding. I don't think there is a better guitar out there for the $$ I spent. huckster

Hux, I agree-best bang for buck out there in my opinion. The guy I bought mine from had purchased it on a whim to compare it to his Masterbilt AJ45. He took it out of the box, comped through a couple of chords and then put it back in the box and sold it to me for over a third less than he paid for it! I knew from the first chord I played that it was a keeper. It's a great songwriting guitar too, I've had several songs out of it and more no doubt on the way. I wrote one within the first 20 mins of opening the box when it was delivered!

Cougar, interestingly yours doesn't have the silver foil "E" logo on the pickguard that mine does. Looks every inch a great Texan though!!

Cougar, interestingly yours doesn't have the silver foil "E" logo on the pickguard that mine does. Looks every inch a great Texan though!!

Yeah, I think I just peeled it off. I've got one laying around here somewhere.

It's a great songwriting guitar too, I've had several songs out of it and more no doubt on the way. I wrote one within the first 20 mins of opening the box when it was delivered!

Jeez, the thing writes songs itself! This could be your big break! msp_thumbup.gif

Archived