Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Vintage and Hummingbird TV

nid2007

[quote name='62burst' timestamp='1488458007' post='1838804']

Also- how do the bridge plates look? There have been some bridge pin holes drilled perilously close to, or into the edge of, the 'plate on some other Gibson models .[/

Maybe tell me in a pm what to look for. I had my luthier go through true tv throughly upon set up. Maybe a Sal did the same at some point on the Vintage.

Just saw this...

I am unaware of any bridgeplate issues, or any other issues, with the Vintage. I would never sell it without a disclosure if I did. This guitar should be pristine.

I hope you decide to keep it, or move it along to someone who will love it. Honestly, with the way warranties increasingly cover less (big debate regarding Martins too), I would be less concerned about the warranty and more concerned with how the guitar makes you feel when you play it. Good luck Neil.

Just saw this...

I am unaware of any bridgeplate issues, or any other issues, with the Vintage. I would never sell it without a disclosure if I did. This guitar should be pristine.

I hope you decide to keep it, or move it along to someone who will love it. Honestly, with the way warranties increasingly cover less (big debate regarding Martins too), I would be less concerned about the warranty and more concerned with how the guitar makes you feel when you play it. Good luck Neil.

The guitar is pristine! I'm always hesitant to call any guitar mint, but it is as close as it gets. More new than anything I've ever seen ina GC showroom.

Just saw this...

Whichever I sell, it's been fun having both, and I will never have to wonder about what the other is like. Hopefully I break even monetarily, but even if not, I've had some guitar fun.

.................this is where the real fun begins as this decision that you will make could be a hit and miss situation. [thumbup]

We all go through that all the time specially when you have 2 great sounding Bird.

I am the under dog type of guy and 9 out of 10 it favours my way. I try not to let it bother me at the end of the day as I look at it as :

" Not meant or Meant to be " mantra! [thumbup] on whichever you pick out of the 2 Bird.

Good Luck!

Trans

Hey ReHello - 2 marvelous sounding guitars, , , and hyper cühl playing.

As if you already connect with both these Birds - - - one that stays is a lucky flier for sure.

Hard to tell which is which - my instant within 10 secs-reaction was 2 = Vintage

, , , we'll see.

Certainly don't regret getting tickets to this show. Let the fun continue.

Why is the S-Cloud avatar-pics the same ?

Just to confuse you.

Then it doesn't work - what we see is the Vintage.

Ha. Laziness is the real answer

Thought so, , , it's just me - would never miss the chance the present both tops in this situation. ;-)

, , , , would you, Nick. .

Btw - is there time for faded stings A/B ? , , that would speak

I'm with Lars, while both guitars sound wonderful, on those recordings I find the Vintage to sound bigger, stronger, almost like a D18. The TV on the other hand sounds sweeter, warmer, with the typical Hummingbird nectar.

But I might be biased : I once played a 2016 Vintage HB that I didn't like quite as much as my beloved 2012 TV ;)

It's all a matter of taste, again two great guitars

I have already chimed in, but i would like to add that if you are not in a hurry to sell that you should play both for an extended period. I'm still sticking to the one that is most comfortable to play.

• 3 weeks later...

Sal's Vintage Bird finally found a new home. Sold locally to someone who as of right now plans to make it a lifetime guitar.

The buyer had the choice of the Vintage or the TV, and instantly went with the Vintage.

I slightly preferred to keep the TV for reasons that had nothing to do with the quality of the Vintage, so it worked out great. I had some high e string ring finger and pinky slippage on the Vintage--it happens to me more than to other players due to bad habits. I would have wanted to replace the nut on a guitar that is perfectly set up for the other 99% of it is potential owners.

In the end, I'm glad I got the opportunity to check out the cooked top. It is a nice feature and at least on this bird, it definitely added an openness to a 2016 guitar that otherwise might still think it was a tree.

Archived