Gibson Brands Forums

Where the Wabash Meets the Ohio

dhanners623

Here's a new one from the lab-coated technicians at the Hanners Songwriting Laboratories, Inc., featuring the J-35, which is perfect for this tune's vibe.

The song is a contemporary old-timey murder ballad. As they say in the movies, it is loosely based on a true story, with some elements added for dramatic effect....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCZrCS4LOI

I thought that was really superb!! I like the rythm of the words and the percussive guitar playing. I have liked the other songs you have posted here, but this one is my favoirite. Would you mind posting the lyrics?

I listen with good headphones, but your recording sounds a little tinny. How do you record? I think this kind of quality performance deserves better sound.

Lars

I thought that was really superb!! I like the rythm of the words and the percussive guitar playing. I have liked the other songs you have posted here, but this one is my favoirite. Would you mind posting the lyrics?

I listen with good headphones, but your recording sounds a little tinny. How do you record? I think this kind of quality performance deserves better sound.

Lars

Thanks for the kind words. I just record these things on my iPad. That's as high-tech as I get.

Here are the lyrics, but I'll warn you: I have changed a couple of lines (and tweaked a couple of others) since I recorded the video. There were lines in the fourth and fifth verses that just sounded clunky or out of place to me. So here they are in their current form:

Where the Wabash Meets the Ohio

© 2017 by David Hanners

I'll tell a tale of Old Shawneetown

Levi Crowe shot Tim Luttrell down

Here's fair warning, boys, if you ever go

Where the Wabash meets the Ohio

Tim Luttrell was a no-account from Arkansas

Gambled and drank and lived outside the law

Married a woman named Madonna Crowe

Levi was Madonna's son by another man

And Tim Luttrell he simply could not stand

High on meth, tempers would blow

Some men reap what others sow

Madonna and Tim Luttrell quarrelled, who knows what about

Levi learned of it, called Tim Luttrell out

Spoke with a Mossberg 930 Pro

Sheriff vowed Levi would pay for his sin

Live out his days in Stateville Prison

Levi tried to flee, fell to the undertow

They say Levi's soul floated clean to Mexico

From where the Wabash meets the Ohio

A patch of tall weeds where the story ends

Corner of a cornfield where the muddy river bends

So boys, fair warning if you plan to go

Thanks for the lyrics! Johnny Cash would have felt right at home singing that.

I record on an iPad too, but use the Apogee Mic. It is 100% plug-&-play with an Ipad and gives great sound per dollar.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Studio-quality-microphone-iPad-iPhone/dp/B006W11TT2/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1488446448&sr=1-5&keywords=apogee+mic

This song below is recorded with the mic on the table in front of me. I apologize for the poor singing, but you can get an idea of what the mic can do.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/an-invisible-hand

Again, great song you wrote. Very inspirational for me as a beginning songwriter!

Lars

Thanks for the lyrics! Johnny Cash would have felt right at home singing that.

I record on an iPad too, but use the Apogee Mic. It is 100% plug-&-play with an Ipad and gives great sound per dollar.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Studio-quality-microphone-iPad-iPhone/dp/B006W11TT2/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1488446448&sr=1-5&keywords=apogee+mic

This song below is recorded with the mic on the table in front of me. I apologize for the poor singing, but you can get an idea of what the mic can do.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/an-invisible-hand

Again, great song you wrote. Very inspirational for me as a beginning songwriter!

Lars

I should check out that mic. Sounds like it would help. Your recording sounds great. (And don't apologize for your voice. It sounds real and authentic. Once you get comfortable with it, things will fall into place.)

As far as songwriting goes, just keep at it. That's all any of us can do.

Nicely done, David! I do love a good story in song and this one has that old folky, hillbilly feel to it. There's room left for the listener to fill in a few gaps with imagination yet it still tells a complete tale. There is a line or two that sing a bit "clunky", as you say, but I figure you might know of them and will make adjustments.

Well done, sir.

Nicely done, David! I do love a good story in song and this one has that old folky, hillbilly feel to it. There's room left for the listener to fill in a few gaps with imagination yet it still tells a complete tale. There is a line or two that sing a bit "clunky", as you say, but I figure you might know of them and will make adjustments.

Well done, sir.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And, yeah Buc, no sooner had I recorded and posted the video, some minor inspiration came to me (that, and a morning trip to Tim Horton's for coffee and a donut) and I rewrote/tweaked/cleaned up some lines. It sings more smoothly now, but there are still a couple of lines I need to rewrite.

Archived