Gibson Brands Forums

Fishman Loudbox Artist vs. Fender Acoustasonic JR DSP

kidblast

I have contemplating oa Fishman Loudbox Artists to replace my (2000ish) Fender DSP. Went to the local store, with my amp and my J200, they let me set up in one of the back rooms where they have group lessons. (maybe a 20x20 room.) Ample space and time to a/b the two amps with no distractions.. (went at lunch time, No one but the 2 people working today were there..)

After about 30 minutes, I'd hear enough..

I was just not blown away by the differences in the Fishman vs. the Fender

The Artist seems to have a darker/boxier voice than the Acoustasonic JR. which to my ears seems to have a bit wider projection, which is reasonable considering the 2 x 8" speaker w/peizo verses the single 8" and soft dome tweeter as is on the Artist.

The Artists FX are a bit limited as well. The Acoustasonic has a real good sounding reverb, w/4 four different types vs 2 on the Artist. The Fender also offers three reverb/dealy combo settings, the Fishman doesn't have that ability. It does have two FX channels, but I could not see if you had the ability to combine them.

Maybe I missed that? Seemed that you could have FX A, or FX B for either channel, but can't use both? Am I right?

The Antifeed back on the Artist DOES has a wider range of cut/bost than the Acoustasonic, but feed back control for me is a moot point, is rarely a problem. I use it more as an additional EQ for voicing tweeks than anything else.

I will say, on the + The Fishman Artist DOES pack a pretty impressive punch sound wise for it's size, the Acoustasonic combo isn't a big amp (bout the size of a deluxe reverb) even at that, it dwarfs the Artist. One other + for the Artists, it's very light and the small foot print makes it really easy to lug around. on the other hand the Fender at 60 watts seemed every bit as capable of pushing the SPLs. Not that I will need to play at those volumes but just as a comparison.

While I'm sure the Artist would do the job not convinced it will do that job much better that what I've been using. I guess if I should happen onto a bunch of cash, I may pick one up, and hang on to the fender as a backup/spare... I've had it for a while now, It don't owe me anything.

Just thought I'd share the experience...

This fishman seems to be a very nice amp. All reviews are very good.

I'm looking at ACUS amps actually, because of the size. They are also very good amps for acoustics. Wondering about the fishman size?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/acus_one_5t_wood.htm

or, closer to fishman power there is acus 130W here :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/acus_one_6t_wood.htm

The fishman seems way bigger, and i dont want an heavy thing to carry around.

This fishman seems to be a very nice amp. All reviews are very good.

I'm looking at ACUS amps actually, because of the size. They are also very good amps for acoustics. Wondering about the fishman size?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/acus_one_5t_wood.htm

or, closer to fishman power there is acus 130W here :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/acus_one_6t_wood.htm

The fishman seems way bigger, and i dont want an heavy thing to carry around.

Get the AER Compact 60, you can thank me after.

I've heard about those ACUS, they seem quite nice.

I should have taken a few pics with my phone for idea on scaling. The Fishman artist has a surprisingly small foot print.

Height 16"

Width 15.5"

Depth 11.5"

Weight 25.5 lbs

Fender is maybe twice the size if not more.

I would probably, but the price point is not the same at all [crying]

This is why i'm having a look at Acus amps... More affordable and overall seem quite nice.

Many compare them to AER.

I use a Fishman Loudbox Performer and it's a GREAT amp. I use it as a PA-in-a-box setup for solo shows and it's an absolute gem. Not cheap but superb sounding and extremely convenient.

I've used an Artist for a few gigs that I borrowed from a friend a wee while back and that was terrific too. Massive volume from such a small amp and great tone for vocals, acoustic, reso, mandolin, you name it.

I've heard about those ACUS, they seem quite nice.

I should have taken a few pics with my phone for idea on scaling. The Fishman artist has a surprisingly small foot print.

Height 16"

Width 15.5"

Depth 11.5"

Weight 25.5 lbs

Fender is maybe twice the size if not more.

Interesting, i really have to consider that one too then, 120w is nice for the price point as well.

Mafy31,, if weight is one of the concerns, the Artist is cake to move around. much easier to than the Fender.

Jinder: the Performer was the one I was actually looking to check out, but they'd have to order it, sort of pricey at $700+ usd.

but yea, the artist is impressive for it's size.

Euro: the AER's are the bomb, but @ $1,100... I just can't justify to go that steep for what I'm doing.

DITTO with this one if you can afford almost as much as a Gibson Acoustic. [flapper]

It was then between the Fishman Loudbox and the Marshall ASD50 :-({|= ...........ended up with the latter. [thumbup] All I need. [thumbup]

Trans

I bought a Loudbox mini and while it did sound great while it lasted I wasn't impressed with how it's held up. The vinyl on the Fishman amp was the most fragile of any amp I've had, with 99% home use it looks like it's been on the road for a decade. Compare that to the Fenders, Marshall, Traynor, etc. here with twice the use and those look like new. Something went in it a while back (a first for me with a solid state amp) and it barely has any volume now, considering how it's held up to date I'm not sure if it's even worth fixing. I'll be looking for a more reliable acoustic amp next time and I'd be willing to bet it won't say Fishman on it. My suggestion is look elsewhere.

Morkol..

that's interesting (your experience..) I've heard they are pretty reliable. the one at the store did have some scuffs on it, nothing major, but for a new amp, not sure many people would want to see that for $500+ out of the store brand new..

I don't think I'll be changing anything. That little exercise yesterday was enough to tell me that Fender I've been using, still legit.

I own a Fender Acoustasonic 30 and I've A/B's both the Acoustasonic DSP and the Fishman Loudbox Artist. The Fishman is hands down the better amp in my opinion. I don't use an acoustic amp that much so I'm not thinking of replacing my Fender, but perhaps just for size alone (under my desk) I might replace it. The Loudbox is the only acoustic amp I would consider at this point.

Morkol..

that's interesting (your experience..) I've heard they are pretty reliable. the one at the store did have some scuffs on it, nothing major, but for a new amp, not sure many people would want to see that for $500+ out of the store brand new..

I don't think I'll be changing anything. That little exercise yesterday was enough to tell me that Fender I've been using, still legit.

I know I was surprised by it as well, like I said the sound was great. I just wasn't impressed with after years of making the switch to tube amps the one amp that goes down on me in a big way was solid state. Surprising because up until this point my experience has been that a solid state design can make a bulletproof amplifier.

This might be one of the first times I've heard someone prefer a Fender acoustic amp over a Fishman. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Fender tube amps (have a great '76 Deluxe Reverb, and had a bunch I sold last year including an old Twin, Princeton and a few Champs) but their acoustic amps are usually sub-par. I have Fishan Loudbox Mini that I think is excellent for what it is. I've also owned an SWR California Blonde that was amazing, but too much amp and too heavy. The SWR's pop up used now and then for about $500, and it's the amp of choice for Jackson Brown and Lindsey Buckingham, so they're nothing to scoff at. If I had more of a need for na acoustic amp I'd go for an AER, but for the money the Fishmans sound great. Too bad they changed the design though and put the tissue-paper thin tolex on them now. You look at the amp the wrong way and it teas and scuffs.

This might be one of the first times I've heard someone prefer a Fender acoustic amp over a Fishman. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Fender tube amps (have a great '76 Deluxe Reverb, and had a bunch I sold last year including an old Twin, Princeton and a few Champs) but their acoustic amps are usually sub-par. I have Fishan Loudbox Mini that I think is excellent for what it is. I've also owned an SWR California Blonde that was amazing, but too much amp and too heavy. The SWR's pop up used now and then for about $500, and it's the amp of choice for Jackson Brown and Lindsey Buckingham, so they're nothing to scoff at. If I had more of a need for na acoustic amp I'd go for an AER, but for the money the Fishmans sound great. Too bad they changed the design though and put the tissue-paper thin tolex on them now. You look at the amp the wrong way and it teas and scuffs.

I agree, I was kind of surprised I wasn't blown away by the Artist In the side by side compare, I honestly didn't hear enough of a difference (I have a pretty good ear for this stuff.)

I expect the volumes I was using, (did have em up too loud for a long period) may have had something to do with it.

I'm still considering,, maybe i need to use it in the setting I will use it in to be 100% convinced.

Fishman. much more balanced and full sound. The Fender tries so hard to cut out distortion that they just cut out too much in the mids and bass (b/c those frequencies distort the easiest). Fender is just so much top end and sounds empty. The Fishman sounds much more natural.

-Keith

Fishman. much more balanced and full sound. The Fender tries so hard to cut out distortion that they just cut out too much in the mids and bass (b/c those frequencies distort the easiest). Fender is just so much top end and sounds empty. The Fishman sounds much more natural.

-Keith

Hi Keith.

I agree with your response.. I tried one this weekend, and in THAT setting (A large roman catholic church with NO sound support), with the volume I needed to use, (enough to stay in balance with the piano) you're right... the Fishman DID sound a lot better! Straight in, no EQ, just used the volume control on the Baggs Anthem in my SJ200.

The difference was the environment. Had to get it there to know for sure. so now I know...

it's amazing the sound that comes out of that wee little box.

Hi Keith.

I agree with your response.. I tried one this weekend, and in THAT setting (A large roman catholic church with NO sound support), with the volume I needed to use, (enough to stay in balance with the piano) you're right... the Fishman DID sound a lot better! Straight in, no EQ, just used the volume control on the Baggs Anthem in my SJ200.

The difference was the environment. Had to get it there to know for sure. so now I know...

it's amazing the sound that comes out of that wee little box.

Nice. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have (had) a pair of Fishman Loudbox Minis. I kept one and sold the other to a buddy I play with now and then. He was blown away at how good these little amps sound. I've owned more expensive amps, and even bigger FIshman acoustic amps, and the Mini still impresses me. For the money and at this price point it's one of the best deals out there if you don't want to/can't shell out for the AER type of amp.

Nice. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have (had) a pair of Fishman Loudbox Minis. I kept one and sold the other to a buddy I play with now and then. He was blown away at how good these little amps sound. I've owned more expensive amps, and even bigger FIshman acoustic amps, and the Mini still impresses me. For the money and at this price point it's one of the best deals out there if you don't want to/can't shell out for the AER type of amp.

The Mini seems nice, rather light weight. Would it be suited for guitar + 2 mic or guitar+mic+synth/aux? there's only 2 inputs i think ?

I had read some mini reviews, (take those for what they're worth) that the Artist was a bit warmer, where the mini seemed to lack bass response. I didn't try the mini however, so I can only go by what I read. Based on your experience though I have to wonder if those reviews are just junk. Got a quote from my sales tech at Sweetwater for the artist, $500 for their performer package, includes a synheiser mic, cable, stand, amp cover and fishman clip on tuner considering.. see if i can sell the fender. (it's mint..)

I had read some mini reviews, (take those for what they're worth) that the Artist was a bit warmer, where the mini seemed to lack bass response. I didn't try the mini however, so I can only go by what I read. Based on your experience though I have to wonder if those reviews are just junk. Got a quote from my sales tech at Sweetwater for the artist, $500 for their performer package, includes a synheiser mic, cable, stand, amp cover and fishman clip on tuner considering.. see if i can sell the fender. (it's mint..)

Makes sense to me. I've owned both and the Artist is a nice sounding, more expensive amp with bigger speakers, more power, more inputs, phantom power, etc. I used it when I played with a 7 piece band that consisted of two guitarists, pedal steel/dobro player, bass player, drummer, and two singers. It was perfect and doubt the Mini would have cut it in that situation. For what I do now, which is jams with another guitar player and intimate gatherings and super small gigs it's perfect for that. Sure the Artist would also be appropriate and not overkill, but given I don't really play out these days at the moment, and scored the pair of like-new Minis for $280 ($140 each) and sold one of them to my buddy for $200, I am not complaining!

For what it is the Mini is awesome. It's about matching the right tool for the job, otherwise it doesn't matter what you've paid. If it aint the proper tool for the application it's a moot point. But you really can't go wrong with an Artist, thats for sure. Incredibly versatile amp. Will do everything and anything the Mini can do, but do it better, and do more than the Mini can ever dream of!

Craig (the Music Director) was amazed when he heard it. "That sound is coming from that little box??" -- uhm.. YEP...

and you're right,, matching the tool with the need.. No way I would need the performer for this, but the Artist is appropriate. this is a huge old Gothic style cathedral,

I set it off to the side about 15 feet away from me and just point it to the opposite corner, my wife said she could hear it clear as a bell about half way back.. (she could hear the Fender too, and said she didn't really notice a huge difference,, ha! Chicks,, what do they know! LOL!, I did... was more natural sounding to my ears..)

Archived