Gibson Brands Forums

Hi n Dri - 1st take

Trans

Oh well!, I've been digging the HB lately and was tryin out a few melodic tunage on her as well as the 2013 J35.

I figured i'd sample a nice simple tune anyone can play/sing. [thumbup]

1st take on a 2011 Bird Limited & 2013 J35, Std. tuning with a USA Nylon Jim Dunlop .60mm pick was going to use a.73 but light picking is where it's at. Hate to say that I've used an Iphone6s again...same set up crap etc. [scared] raw as it is no EQ whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Enjoy and rant n rave welcome!

2011 HB Ltd.

http://chirb.it/9ahDMw

2013 J35

http://chirb.it/kLm5vb

Trans

Oh well!, I've been digging the HB lately and was tryin out a few melodic tunage on her.

I figured i'd sample a nice simple tune anyone can play/sing. [thumbup]

1st take on a 2011 Bird Limited, Std. tuning with a USA Nylon Jim Dunlop .60mm pick was going to use a.73 but light picking is where it's at. Hate to say that I've used an Iphone6s again...same set up crap etc. [scared] raw as it is no EQ whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Enjoy and rant n rave welcome!

http://chirb.it/9ahDMw

Trans

Good stuff Trans..Thanks for posting it. I thought you did great.

As FB noted and Im sure you know yourself this is not an easy song to pull off, those falsetto chorus notes that have to be hit and held are a real trick. I cant do it yet, but you can, and I enjoyed that track. Know it well as I performed it regularly with my old singer.

Its also a good demonstration where some guitars suit a song much more than others. The warmth and solid bass of the Hummingbird was the perfect backup for the high pitched, head register vocals. But same performance on the thinner and brighter J-35 and I was really missing bass and warmth in the overall performance.

As FB noted and Im sure you know yourself this is not an easy song to pull off, those falsetto chorus notes that have to be hit and held are a real trick. I cant do it yet, but you can, and I enjoyed that track. Know it well as I performed it regularly with my old singer.

Its also a good demonstration where some guitars suit a song much more than others. The warmth and solid bass of the Hummingbird was the perfect backup for the high pitched, head register vocals. But same performance on the thinner and brighter J-35 and I was really missing bass and warmth in the overall performance.

Thanks EA for the warm observation on the take. Yes its true the 35 is missing the lower bottom registers as it came a bit bright. It has the stock 11-52 and I've yet to swap them out for a 12-53/54 gauge.

On the other hand! The Bird (12-54 gauge) sure sounded fairly well, even and just right amount of nectar seeping out over and under the vocals.

Peace!

• 8 months later...

Archived