Gibson Brands Forums

Real or not?

LarryUK

Looks 100% real to me from those snaps.

Some non-original plastics, perhaps, and chrome hardware isn't normally standard for a Custom but there are some made like that.

I can't see anything at all which looks wrong.

What do the facebook folks say makes it look like a 'fake'?

Pip.

...It has nibs, the right kind of TRC, and the right kind of bridge. Looks legit...

We could go on for ages about where it looks 'right'!

Possibly because it's a Gibson....

I'm pretty confident that a quick PM to Gibson Customer Support with the serial number would confirm it's the real thing.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I can see two tell tales. The relative positions of the tail piece and the (edit: neck) bridge volume is typical of a fake and the excessively deep V in the 'open book' of the headstock.

These things settle it for me but that's the best fake I've seen.

I can see two tell tales. The relative positions of the tail piece and the bridge volume is typical of a fake and the excessively deep V in the 'open book' of the headstock.

These things settle it for me but that's the best fake I've seen.

I must respectfully disagree with you, Farns.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I must respectfully disagree with you, Farns.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Well go on then...

:D

This guitar's neck volume pot is forward (towards the neck) of the tail piece. I've only ever seen that on fakes but I'm open to being corrected.

Well go on then...

:D

OK, if you so wish it;

You'retalkingaloadofshiteyacompletetwat!!!

msp_smile.gif

I could be wrong, of course, and it COULD be the best fake we've ever seen but the open-book thing can be explained by the distortion caused by what is effectively a very short focal-length "lens" - don't look at the third snap (the close-up); look instead at the shape of the open-book on the second snap.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

Ok. I accept that the shape of the open book is possibly subject to lens distortion but I'd like to see a pic of a genuine Gibson with the neck volume pot positioned in front (towards the neck) of the tail piece. AFAIK on all genuine Gibson LPs it's behind.

Guest Farnsbarns

Just one question, would it have "Gibson USA" on the case label if it's a Custom? Just wondering.

Ian

Yes, in the main an LP custom is a USA model, not a custom shop model. More of Gibson's bizarre and obtuse nomenclature. I believe they are now made in the CS but that's very recent.

@Larry. The post is in a closed Facebook group. Would you mind copy/pasting what it says.

I've had a bit of a play and a look in photoshop and I think the pot-position can be explained by the fact that the stop-bar is raised quite high from the deck. This, added to the 'wide-angle' nature of the lens, makes the tailpiece seem further back than it is in reality. Because the knob is still at deck-height this reinforces this illusion.

Look closely at the positioning of the t'p stud-holes rather than the screws at the top of the t'p itself.

I didn't have much to work with but here we go anyhow;

Stop-bar%20position_zps7q7q3wfs.jpg

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

Ok. I've joined the group and looked at all the pics. I'm wrong about the volume pot as well. I think it's real.

Guest Farnsbarns

I've had a bit of a play and a look in photoshop and I think the pot-position can be explained by the fact that the stop-bar is raised quite high from the deck. This, added to the 'wide-angle' nature of the lens, makes the tailpiece seem further back than it is in reality. Because the knob is still at deck-height this reinforces this illusion.

Look closely at the positioning of the t'p stud-holes rather than the screws at the top of the t'p itself.

I didn't have much to work with but here we go anyhow;

Stop-bar%20position_zps7q7q3wfs.jpg

Pip.

This pic makes it even clearer..

acebook_1488810997919.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Ive been watching the Facebook thread today...The guy on the Facebook thread says it's Chinese fake and has PM'd seller details to some people who confirm it's a fake having looked it up. If it is, it's clearly a very good fake indeed. Worrying.

...The guy on the Facebook thread says it's Chinese fake and has PM'd seller details to some people who confirm it's a fake having looked it up...

I'm still 99.999% convinced it's genuine.

Someone really needs to send the serial number up to Gibson Customer Service for authentication one way or the other.

On what grounds does he/she believe it to be counterfeit?

Is the serial number shown clearly in any of the photo's you have seen?

Has the seller replied to the claims that it's fake?

When you say "having looked it up" what was 'it' and where did they look 'it' up?

I still might well be wrong but I've never once seen a Chinese fake anywhere near as accurate as this guitar is. Nothing looks out of place. The very pronounced 'Teardrop' spray pattern is actually quite commonly seen on Gibson Les Pauls - especially Customs; the back is a lovely one-piece slab of mahogany with nice figuring; the Gibson logo on the peghead is perfect; the split-diamond likewise is absolutely correct; it has nibs; braided wire; Nashville bridge...all exactly what you could reasonably expect to find on a fairly recent LPC.

What about the guitar DOESN'T look genuine? Anything?? Anything at all??? Because if there is something amiss then I sure can't see it.

eusa_think.gif

Farns; if you are in contact with the folks who are PM-ing other folks saying it's a fake could you ask them to PM me with their doubts so I can weigh-up the nature of their concerns for myself? Better still get them to post in this thread as a guest; that way heads wiser than mine can ponder the conundrum as well.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm still 99.999% convinced it's genuine.

Someone really needs to send the serial number up to Gibson Customer Service for authentication one way or the other.

On what grounds does he/she believe it to be counterfeit?

Is the serial number shown clearly in any of the photo's you have seen?

Has the seller replied to the claims that it's fake?

When you say "having looked it up" what was 'it' and where did they look 'it' up?

I still might well be wrong but I've never once seen a Chinese fake anywhere near as accurate as this guitar is. Nothing looks out of place. The very pronounced 'Teardrop' spray pattern is actually quite commonly seen on Gibson Les Pauls - especially Customs; the back is a lovely one-piece slab of mahogany with nice figuring; the Gibson logo on the peghead is perfect; the split-diamond likewise is absolutely correct; it has nibs; braided wire; Nashville bridge...all exactly what you could reasonably expect to find on a fairly recent LPC.

What about the guitar DOESN'T look genuine? Anything?? Anything at all??? Because if there is something amiss then I sure can't see it.

eusa_think.gif

Farns; if you are in contact with the folks who are PM-ing other folks saying it's a fake could you ask them to PM me with their doubts so I can weigh-up the nature of their concerns for myself? Better still get them to post in this thread as a guest; that way heads wiser than mine can ponder the conundrum as well.

Pip.

The thing is there is no concern. The owner has posted pics of his Chibson and some people have said it's not a Chibson. The owner has PMd some people the details of the site he ordered it through and they have then conceded that it is a chibson.

I only joined the group today, and only to see for myself, I can't really ask anyone to do anything.

Maybe Larry 'knows' some of the group members?

Interesting.

A coupla things.

1 - I had the same reaction as Farns on the whole body shot making the neck volume pot appear too far towards the neck. But I take his word that the other pics on the FB show that alignment is okay. That was the only item that jumped out at me.

2 - I don't recall ever seeing a fake LPC with an Ebony fretboard - everyone I've seen has had a Rosewood fretboard.

So I'm also thinking this one is genuine. I'm just not seeing any other red flags.

If it is a Chibson, it's very well done.

I don't actually know anyone on the forum, but there are a lot of stupid posts. I personally don't think it's a fake as the original poster hasn't said where it came from.

Then there is the fact that so many people condone chibsons. Like they're an acceptable guitar. With Gibson hiking their prices and don't seem to be doing much about the chinese imports it has to be buyer beware. The bottom line here is if it's real, a lot of people are going to be ripped off buying what they think is a Gibson and isn't. Gibson need to up their game and do something that the chinese can't copy. Something like the chip's that dogs have. Then all of the guitars can be electronically scanned and registered on a Gibson data base.

The case is the oddest thing. Why is a Gibson Les Paul Custom in an infamous 2015 Gibson Les Paul USA Case? The 2015 line is the year most people hated (not Me). Other than they don't have the original case,I don't get the custon in a 2015 usa case...

Gibson logo looks higher (entirely above posts) than I'd expect on an LPC but maybe they varied over the years, and tuning buttons look more like what I'd expect of Epi than Gibson level...but...I've no idea really. Just as well I don't want one I suppose. :mellow:

Test is gotta be what Gibson say re the serial number at least in terms of the negative.

Gibson: "Serial number indicates a Les Paul Standard"

Well we know that means: "Houston we have a problem" [biggrin]

Archived