Gibson Brands Forums

The Mobile phone 1979

Rabs

My first mobile was like a brief case! It was probably the best phone I've ever had. Big battery, 3 watts out and it was analogue back then.

I could get good coverage all the way down the back of the property, whereas now with the progress that's been made after all these years, I barely get one bar of signal but only if the phone is sitting on the windowsill in the front of the house. OK for texts but not for voice!

Hard to believe the technology is so recent.

I know that various police departments in the USA had car-mounted sets going back to the mid-'40s but a fully portable phone was still just an idea a mere 40 years ago?

I acquired my first 'mobile phone' by ridiculously serendipitous means back in 1989. It was - and I'm not joking - easier to get a mortgage for a house than it was to get a mobile phone contract back then. My handset was a black Motorola 8500-X; the one with the LED and not the LCD screen. Fully charged the battery would last around an hour or so. If you didn't use it, that is. If you used it you had around 20 mins of talk-time before it needed a recharge.

Pip.

Interesting. I can remember my first "portable" phone. Like Digger's, it was the size of a small briefcase and had to be installed in the car LOL. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a car with a cell phone antenna? Hard to believe that today's Smart phones have more capability than all the computer knowledge available in the '60's space capsules!

I read a book years ago called "The Glory and the Dream" which chronicled technological advances from the founding of the US until the date of the book (approx 1980) and how fast things had advanced in (then) recent years. Think of the technological advances since then!!!

g

1488840772[/url]' post='1839679']

My first mobile was like a brief case! It was probably the best phone I've ever had. Big battery, 3 watts out and it was analogue back then.

I could get good coverage all the way down the back of the property, whereas now with the progress that's been made after all these years, I barely get one bar of signal but only if the phone is sitting on the windowsill in the front of the house. OK for texts but not for voice!

Motorola bag phone was my first,I could talk riding in the tractor and never lose signal. Still have a flip phone Samsung. Never made the jump to a smart phone yet. I liked the old days when nobody could track you down. Nowhere to run,nowhere to hide now.

Archived