Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Nerds RabsWood interview

Rabs

...I also thought maybe of getting back in touch with those Guitar Nerds guys and seeing if they want to do a more in depth review of my guitars...

That sounds like a really good idea, Rabs.

Perhaps you could ask them if they wanted to do a piece specifically about the half-and-halfs by virtue of their having rather unique qualities and design / construction reasons?

What have you got to lose by sending them an e-mail?................eusa_think.gif

Pip.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like a really good idea, Rabs.

Perhaps you could ask them if they wanted to do a piece specifically about the half-and-halfs by virtue of their having rather unique qualities and design / construction reasons?

What have you got to lose by sending them an e-mail?................eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Well that's the thing about the half and halfs.. While being cosmetically unique the actual build process is the same as any guitar which has more than a single piece back...

All I have really thought of and I think there is something in it.. Is that you could in theory balance the bass and treble sides by using woods with different qualities.. and you could do it either way... By placing a brighter bit of wood on the bass side and a more warmer sounding wood on the treble side which could add a really nice balance to the pickups OR you could enhance the bass and treble sides by putting woods on each side that make them more bassy or brighter sounding...

But considering that most people don't think that the wood on an electric guitar even matters im not sure how much of a USP that actually is (and id be opening the door for a tonne of online abuse)... And my own belief on that subject is that while I think wood does make a difference, those differences are generally pretty small as it is. sooo...

But yeah I reckon I will send those guys a mail. See what happens :)

msp_confused.gifmsp_confused.gif You were talking about sandwiches? Bowler hats? The weather?? msp_flapper.gif Must of missed that too.Actually you did fine and looked great. I'm just not used to hearing foreign accents here. Except my wife's mom, I talk and she says 'Huh? Then she talks and I say 'Huh? And after a bit my wife says, Oh' God!! eusa_wall.gif

Foreign accents?

Wait on you've got a foreign accent., so have you, and you have too!

You've all got funny accents!

OMG I'm surrounded by foreigners~

Agree with Pipster, great job!

Thanks man...

And yes everyone I know that's seen it has said I did ok so I take them and you at your word :)

I just hate looking at myself on film like that, but that wont change...

But considering that most people don't think that the wood on an electric guitar even matters im not sure how much of a USP that actually is (and id be opening the door for a tonne of online abuse)... And my own belief on that subject is that while I think wood does make a difference, those differences are generally pretty small as it is. sooo...

That is my take exactly. You're the first other person I've heard say so.

I should also add my endorsement of your interview. You came across as genuine. We are all accustomed to slick motor mouthed BS too fast & too loud. A breath of fresh air I reckon !

That is my take exactly. You're the first other person I've heard say so.

I should also add my endorsement of your interview. You came across as genuine. We are all accustomed to slick motor mouthed BS too fast & too loud. A breath of fresh air I reckon !

Thanks.. that's really good to hear man...

And that's exactly what im trying to offer... no nonsense guitars that do their job as well as any other but built to your spec.... the guys who build and put all of the most expensive hardware they can on charge like £2000 - £2500 and I think its a bit crazy... Not everyone has that sort of money to spend and indeed I had a fair few people tell me that they only had £1000 and all of the other custom builders didn't even have prices on their guitars at the show (whats the old saying, if you have to ask how expensive something is, that usually means you cant afford it)...

So I think theres a market for the mid range say £1000ish and I think I can make that work...

Like you can get those bridges like a strat hard tail type.. If you go buy one from Schaller or Gotoh they are like £60+ and there are more expensive ones ... The ones I buy cost like £15 and they are made of good quality metal and do the job as good as any other.. why should I try and make someone pay for something they don't need.

I may even be really wrong about this.. maybe theres a reason no one else seems to offer that and I will find out in due time?

But while I can, this is the approach I want to take.

Lets just hope something more comes of it... Just awaiting for that phone to ring.

It was certainly good that he pointed out what a fantastic deal your guitars are! With over 300 views already, I'd think you shouldn't have to wait long. Yeah, that went well!

Foreign accents?

Wait on you've got a foreign accent., so have you, and you have too!

You've all got funny accents!

OMG I'm surrounded by foreigners~

No no...

Least we forget.. most of you were descended from us Brits... It is you lot who went off and started talking funny.....

No no...

Least we forget.. most of you were descended from us Brits... It is you lot who went off and started talking funny.....

Yes we have a good pedigree I admit that. The 'went off" bit wasn't really our choice and how would we know we were being sent to paradise? But we were~

I think it's all to do with the sun and the surf, beer and just generally being happy to be somewhere warm. Must have changed the way we speak I think.

We can't thank you enough actually.

I was just kidding around having fun with RC, actually I could understand you Rabs and I love that British accent. I really watched closely and thought you did and looked professional. So like Rob would say, "No Worries Mate!" Hair? You've got a lot. Be happy, it looks good. Want to see mine? Or the lack of? I used to look like that guy on Mod Squad. Full head of hair, very curly, more of a Afro and lots of it till that Chemo and radiation took it all, every bit of it in the shower one day. Just a little of it came back so I learned to count your blessings with what you have.

I was just kidding around having fun with RC, actually I could understand you Rabs and I love that British accent. I really watched closely and thought you did and looked professional. So like Rob would say, "No Worries Mate!" Hair? You've got a lot. Be happy, it looks good. Want to see mine? Or the lack of? I used to look like that guy on Mod Squad. Full head of hair, very curly, more of a Afro and lots of it till that Chemo and radiation took it all, every bit of it in the shower one day. Just a little of it came back so I learned to count your blessings with what you have.

Yeah RCT loves to hate to love us.... :)

And sorry to hear about what you went through.. My dad is just finishing up 6 weeks of radio therapy so I have had a small view in to it all..

And probably like you I just miss having a thick full head of hair.. It was only about 7 years ago it was still thick. So im still getting used to it [crying]

Yo Rabs, let me congratulate you for everything you've done so far!

I agree with the others you did it very well. Sounded like a true luthier to me (and nice to hear your voice too). I am jealous dude, got plenty of hair but I don't build lovely guitars like you do, my hair doesn't pay the bill's. My current job ends in august, seeing what you have done gives me hope. From unemployment to build your own little business, freaking awesome amigo! I wish you lot's of success.

hey Rabs,

Just getting around to this topic now. If you were nervous, it didn't come across in this video. You seemed right on point.

The guitars you are building are beauties. Congrats man, you've done some exceptional work here! Best of luck to you!

Yul Brenner didn't have hair and he was bada$$ and probably couldn't build a guitar [thumbup] You did great Rabs, especially how a guitar is an extension of the player. Makes me feel special watching you go from a door to beautiful works of art and interviews. You da man. And we still have to talk about sending that blue beauty across to Ohio [biggrin] Many good vibes on you.

TC

Yo Rabs, let me congratulate you for everything you've done so far!

I agree with the others you did it very well. Sounded like a true luthier to me (and nice to hear your voice too). I am jealous dude, got plenty of hair but I don't build lovely guitars like you do, my hair doesn't pay the bill's. My current job ends in august, seeing what you have done gives me hope. From unemployment to build your own little business, freaking awesome amigo! I wish you lot's of success.

Thanks man... Really nice to hear these things and being able to share my journey (and again a big thanks to Gibson and the mods who have let me do this all on their site, don't think I don't appreciate that, I cant even explain what all this means to me).

HOWEVER, being the practical person that I am.. I know that what I have actually done is gotten over the first big hurdles... And yes ive done well to get this far. BUT that's still a way from being a successful business.

I am REALLY lucky.. My mortgage is paid off, I own my car and have no debt at all (and no wife or kids to pay for)... So I can do this with a minimum of income (and my workshop is my parents garage)... Not everyone could do what I have just done. So I thank my lucky stars every day cos what I am doing is a once in a lifetime opportunity.. And im going to grab it as hard as I can and keep going for as long as I can.

I worked for almost 20 years in the games industry.. They literally took me in, chewed me up and spit me out (I was made redundant like 8 times in that period)... After that experience my main thought was, man I don't want to get made redundant again. I need to learn how to do something and make my own business so I can secure my own work.

I knew this was going to be hard, but breaking through in to the guitar market is probably the toughest thing I have ever done in my life (and ive worked on live TV before and was responsible for multi million selling games in the past)... And if it wasn't for the amazing support ive received on here and from my incredible parents I have no idea where my life would be now.

So, heres hoping.. Im really gonna push it this year... If somehow it doesn't work at least I can say I gave it my best.. Which is all any of us can really do in life. :)

Yeah RCT loves to hate to love us.... :).....

Y'know? I think it's MUCH simpler than that, Rabs.

I'm certain rct loves to love us.

And all of our next-door-neighbours, too; Benedict Cumberbatch, Helen Mirren, Throat Warbler ManGroove and so on.

Pip.

Archived