Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!!

Digger

Nope not a guitar...sorry! It's a new gun!

The new air rifle I've been blathering on about for ages finally turned up yesterday! The rabbits are currently looking nervous~

Walther Maximathor .22 cal PCP.

IMG_0666_zpsvrmmwlpa.jpg

Photo not that good but will do better later today hopefully.

http://www.frontierarms.com.au/products/rifles/walther-maximathor.html

I bought a new SCUBA tank recently for filling it and will be doing my first fill this morning and sighting in also.

My last .22 air rifle was 750 fps, this one is 1180 fps and I'm expecting shot rabbits to be skinned and dressed after being hit with this.

I have a lot of 14 grain ammo but that's going to be noisy (not allowed to have suppressors here) so I will experiment also with 20 plus grain slugs to try and bring the speed and the noise down a bit.

Didn't sleep well last night I was so excited!!

The stock is by an Italian company Minelli and is totally gorgeous. A bit flash for Digger actually as I'm used to plastic.

More later.

Nice! A very modern and purposeful looking beast. I still use my old late '70s Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal for rats and other varmints. Also got an old BSA Super Meteor in .177 with an Ox spring and a 4x32 scope which I use for things that are further away. Kicks like a mule, but is accurate as hell!

Congrats Rob. Does it have a break in period like most spring and piston Rifles? Love your old scope on it. Looks great. If it's way too loud even with 20 grain pellets, I was wondering if you could fill the rifle cylinder half full, if that would reduce the pressure some to cut noise and velocity. Maybe that won't work though? Just thinking.

I think that all airguns shoot better after their first tin of ammo, though the first group was 1/2" at 20 metres so if it gets better, it will be amazing.

I did a circuit around the property late this arvo but only saw one rabbit and no opportunity to shoot as it was it only visible for seconds.

See how we go tomorrow.

Thanks for all the positive comments fellas.

Wow nice, is it chambered?

Thanks Dave, but do you mean chambered as in weight relief like guitars? In case that's what you mean I''ll say no. It's about 5 kilos with a scope because of the steel cylinder for the high pressure air....too heavy really. If you're referring to the pellet feed mechanism, it gas a removable cylindrical magazine that holds 8 shots and is bolt action.

If neither of those is related to your question can you please ask again with more detail?

Very cool. I have a similar gun to shoot rattlers. I have to admit, it's fun.

There were a lot of rattle snakes at the elementary school that I went to and the janitor would cut their heads off with a shovel. It was pretty badass, but I kinda feel bad for the snake too

Archived