Gibson Brands Forums

International Women's Day

E-minor7

Sometime late last year we discussed songwriting and where/how to place the 'I' (first person) in a performance.

I aired some thoughts about singing from the other side of the gender barrier, which is close to impossible.

Certain tunes make the jump pretty easy - in Yesterday fx you just go from she to he, but other times it isn't that simple.

J. Mitchell's The Magdalene Laundries is an example of that and some members here sat up a link to an Irish artist, who solved it by singing the lyric, like to Joni.

All OK, but I wanted to try something different - without knowing what.

. . . . So after a while I finally decided to do nothing - and give it a direct shot.

This take is from between 3 and 4 weeks back.

Thought March 8th would be an appropriate date to launch it.

https://soundcloud.c...alene-laundries

It's the 1953 J-45

Sometime late last year we discussed songwriting and where/how to place the 'I' (first person) in a performance.

I aired some thoughts about singing from the other side of the gender barrier, which is close to impossible.

Certain tunes makes the jump pretty easy - in Yesterday fx you just go from she to he, but other times it isn't that simple.

J. Mitchell's The Magdalenes Laundries is an example of that and some members here sat up a link to an Irish artist, who solved it by singing the lyric, like to Joni.

All OK, but I wanted to try something different - without knowing what.

. . . . So after a while I finally decided to do nothing - and give it a direct shot.

This take is from between 3 and 4 weeks back.

Thought March 8th would be an appropriate date to launch it.

https://soundcloud.c...alene-laundries

It's the 1953 J-45

WoooooooooooooooooooW !

Em7, sing with relax like a breeze ! handle the whole song perfectly !

I hear the Great punchy bass of Gibby, especially pretty cool with a couple of buzz. bass here acts as drum. heavy and light is pretty clear. Fantastic !

BTW, How come to my ear sounds some of it a bit like some of Bob Dylan's ? if you don't mind.

Would you send me mp3 of your The Magdalene Laundries ?

Em7, I'm outside US where one has to use "climb over wall"(I call it) software before being able to visit forbidden sites like youtube, soundcloud, etc. So it's a bother before I can listen to it. I sent a message to you, but seems you do not receive new messgae.

Whoa, brother. Most excellent, regardless of your gender. Wonderful guitar work, very expressive vocal...........impressive, sir.

You have access to a studio for this kind of thing, yes? Quality production of a quality performance. Well done, well done.

And by the way, Joni Mitchell is a musical treasure. Her Blue is in my Top 5, and Court and Spark is not far behind.

Lovely. Thanks so much for sharing this.

In honor or International Women's Day, I played a few tunes on a Banner Gibson and gave a talk today about the amazing Kalamazoo Gals.

main.jpg

Thank you all for the kind comments - very encouraging.

Regarding the piano, it is played by my good friend and companion.

He wasn't prepared for this song so kudos to him for getting through from the hip. It wasn't really planned as we had other things to do, but there we went.

It's a so called pianette - which means a 'modern' upright, not tall piano, , , I think from the 60's.

We have a little studio and experiment there.

Usually I record vox and guitar into one mic to avoid over-bleed and phase-probs, but this time the ancient J-45 with 11 months old strings was so quiet,

that HH decided to set op 2. Have to say it cost some clarity - but perhaps added atmosphere to the sound.

Apart from that, the tune was done very simple and straight forward.

Agree Buc - Joni is or was a unikum. I'm humbled to touch her stuff at all.

The live-video Jannus showed fills me with admiration and I've seen it more than twice this winter.

Think it's quite similar to the original version from Turbulent Indigo and I try to place mine beneath those 2.

Turbulent Indigo is a stellar record from the early 90's and should be added to the Blue - Court and Spark list - not to mention Hejira.

goto - seems you both heard and cannot hear the track. Please tell more - there should be room in my message box.

Thanx again all ^

and to you Annes for overlooking that right-hand lice in the third verse ;-)

Archived