Gibson Brands Forums

"Reckless"

BluesKing777

Here is my solo acoustic/vocal version of a song by James Reyne called "Reckless".

The chords/lrics are from my new book but I have been fiddling around getting an arrangement and fingerpicking for it and then I thought which guitar shall I play to record.....they are all calling 'Pick Me" Pick Me"

And I grabbed the Gibson J45 Standard and capoed up to the 5th fret......

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/reckless-j457b

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the replies!

Recorded my usual recent way - Neumann KM184 > mixer > iMac. Just fantastic to have the gear ready to go, though if I setup again, I would not put the mic and stand and leads and gadgets and amps in the middle of the room in the way of everything else I do! I would put it up against a wall in the corner, out of the way. Worth walking around the stuff though... I could probably safely trade off some old stuff towards a second Neumann mic. Hmmm.....

Forgot a photo!

pzthVbn.jpg

BluesKing777.

Sweet rendition. I sincerely enjoy your vocals and fingerpicking. Real good stuff.

Thanks MP!

It has taken me a long while to get that fingerpicking version, and it is nothing like the original tune much.... Now I did get a bit of the exaggerated vibrato in my voice in the chorus bits like the original singer use to - he was also well known for mumbling fairly unintelligible lyrics all the way through many pop star hits - and his band was just everywhere for a while.

Now about 1990, I started a purist electric type blues band and we rehearsed and rehearsed and rehearsed until we were sick of each other but did about 3 gigs before falling apart. One of those gigs, we were playing at a hotel in a trendy area, lots of rich girls with absolutely NO interest in us and on we plugged with our set and the guy who wrote the song above was sitting on a barstool getting sloshed and then staggered up and asked if he could sing a few blues with us! And he was superb! Who knew? Frustrated blues singer....stuck singing pop, I guess. Later on in his career he went out as a solo singer guitarist!

There you go, some snippets from the past...

BluesKing777.

Archived