Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 1928 L-1 Blues Tribute?

AnPeter90

Anyone have any experience with this guitar? It's got my interest at the moment. What did you think.

I used to have an old L-1 so I know something about them. The Blues Tribute seems to sound different than the others.

most people don't understand what REAL old Gibson sounds like. it's not like modern guitars (even reissues) would make you think. I don't mean quality. I mean type of sound. it really is a different thing. most people are so used to modern guitars that they actually don't like 20s and 30s Gibsons. that being said, the 1928 L-1 Tribute is hands down the closest thing Gibson makes these days to an actual old Gibson. Amazing guitars. I wish I could justify buying one today.

-Keith

most people don't understand what REAL old Gibson sounds like. it's not like modern guitars (even reissues) would make you think. I don't mean quality. I mean type of sound. it really is a different thing. most people are so used to modern guitars that they actually don't like 20s and 30s Gibsons. that being said, the 1928 L-1 Tribute is hands down the closest thing Gibson makes these days to an actual old Gibson. Amazing guitars. I wish I could justify buying one today.

-Keith

Yup.. this explains it very well..

thats why I bought mine.. I was really takin back by how it lite up for such a small guitar.. I own a few L1s from the late 20s early 30s.. pretty much a bang on example..

• 2 weeks later...

We have this -- 1926 L-1. It is very lightly braced -- a lot of noise from a small guitar. The bracing results in a more raw, boxy sound that the early 30s X-braced models. Perfect blues engine. How is the Tribute model braced?

1926L-1a_zpstwx4y2d4.jpg

We have this -- 1926 L-1. It is very lightly braced -- a lot of noise from a small guitar. The bracing results in a more raw, boxy sound that the early 30s X-braced models. Perfect blues engine. How is the Tribute model braced?

1926L-1a_zpstwx4y2d4.jpg

The center of the xbrace is about a 1 1/2 " from the sound hole.. the bracing is light..

Nice L1 Tpbiii

Such a cool little guitar!!

What is the string spacing at the nut/saddle - how about the neck on these new ones- would you consider it fat?

Thanks for sharing!

madhat.

I would consider the neck to be very close to the original L1 models.. not a skinny board either.. its comfy..

Archived