Gibson Brands Forums

Heads Carolina, Tails California

Buc McMaster

Though I was exposed to country music as a child, I never paid it much mind until I met a genuine Texas cowgirl in the mid-90s. To my thinking, this is the time country music began to turn more pop and move away from the old school sounds of Haggard, Paycheck, Twitty et al. I was browsing around on YouTube this morning and ran across this Jo Dee Messina tune from 1996. I remember thinking it was a pretty good traveling song so I downloaded the lyrics, whipped out the guitar, ran through it four or five times and turned on the camera............still have to read the lyrics here but I will get this one memorized and on the set list.........

Heads Carolina, Tails California

Found this live version by Jo Dee with a Gibson Dove handling the guitar work.....and the player contributing a nice high harmony. Seems my tempo is a bit quick.........got to work on that....... And the guitar is just three chords - E/B/A/B. The B he using is leaving the high E and B strings open for a nice jangly sound. Seems there's something different about the A chord as well but I can't pin it down yet..........

Archived