Gibson Brands Forums

Out on the Weekend

fretplay

Yes, I really like the arrangement you did, fretplay, some very nice guitar playing there. It's also cool to hear the vocal in a deeper register than the original...gave the song a different feel which I liked.

great job. Damn you guys make this all seem so simple. Thanks for sharing.

I agree! I full of envy and continously amazed by all the talent present on this great forum.

Lovely version of one of my favorite Neil songs.

Lars

Thanks guys glad you enjoyed it.

There's a lot to be said about the song it's self. It is simple in construction but the melody is haunting as is the harmonica which Neil Young does as an intro, break and outro.

I don't play harmonica so used the tools available IE singing some do do da da's and the guitar for solo and outro. I did try whistling but it sounded too much like a folk song.

It's interesting that in Neil's version at the end of the outro, as the sound fades the song goes back into the verse chords so as to give the feeling of the song starting up again.

I followed Neil's version as near as possible but changed the rhythm and lost the final fade.

Avery,I couldn't sing the song in the key Neil does, well not unless I wanted to sound like a straggled chicken so I changed it around until I found a key I was comfortable with.

I think the song needs to have that laid back hippie feel.

Archived