Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

cookieman15061

My wife bought me a Gretsch 5435 LTD Black w/ gold hardware and bigsby.

I sold my Penguin a couple years ago and she wanted me to have something similar. I'm impressed with everything about this guitar and it was a nice surprise after the news of my job loss.

some pics so you know it happened

black%20gretsch2_zpscrltbzkb.jpg

black%20gretsch3_zpsdrcu9r7q.jpg

black%20gretsch4_zpsfpr2ouap.jpg

That is beautiful. Im Jealous, I was just talking to the wife about just one more guitar and that's it! That went nowhere. I used to have a silver jet, I believe it was in the 60's. Loved that guitar. So if I give you my wife's cell ph number, can your wife give her some encouraging ph. calls? msp_flapper.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats! How does the sound compare to the Penguin? I watched a few YouTubes of G5435T's & they seem to sound really good. Are the Pickups the same on your Black Gold? I'm thinking about getting one too.

Enjoy

Congrats! How does the sound compare to the Penguin? I watched a few YouTubes of G5435T's & they seem to sound really good. Are the Pickups the same on your Black Gold? I'm thinking about getting one too.

Enjoy

Yes I believe they both have what Gretsch is calling their "Black Top" Filter'Tron pickups. They aren't too bad but I'm still trying to find the sweet spot. They aren't quite as bright as the pups were in my Penguin. I got nothing but compliments playing it through my Fender Hot Rod so for now I think they'll stay.

Yes I believe they both have what Gretsch is calling their "Black Top" Filter'Tron pickups. They aren't too bad but I'm still trying to find the sweet spot. They aren't quite as bright as the pups were in my Penguin. I got nothing but compliments playing it through my Fender Hot Rod so for now I think they'll stay.

How do the pickups compare to the Penguin? If you changed the Pups what would use? TV Jones or?

That is a great looking Guitar & if I had to upgrade to Fralin, Lollar or TV Jones would it be worth it?

Thanks

How do the pickups compare to the Penguin? If you changed the Pups what would use? TV Jones or?

That is a great looking Guitar & if I had to upgrade to Fralin, Lollar or TV Jones would it be worth it?

Thanks

Yeah if I change em its to TV Jones.

Archived