Gibson Brands Forums

String pitch between two frets...

Pinch

...or something.

When I move my fingertip just a little when pushing down on a note, the pitch varies more (the note goes a little flat or sharp) on my Epi LP than it's done on other guitars I've had in the past. The strings are stretched, so it's not that. It's on all strings/frets.

Is that something that's common for LP guitars? Something to do with scale length (I'm just grasping at straws here)?

Doesn't really bother me, I kind of play around it by now, but I'm curious as to why. Anyone know? Anyone recognize it?

fret height,, exactly

you just need to make contact with the fret, so,... no really need for a lot of pressure there...

heavy handed players and large (jumbo) frets usually don't match up all that well..

in reality, the string should not (at the least does not have to) touch the fretboard at all.

just for yucks,, check out / Google a scalloped neck sometime. you'll see right away what sort of "extremes" this can go to

Mm, I was just curious why it's more pronounced on this one than on any other guitar I've had. But yeah, must be the frets are on the low side. I mean, it's got Grover tuners and a TOM. That's usually sturdy enough.

Ah, the scalloped necks! I could never be arsed to filter out why from all the other bollocks Yngwie spouted (I know Blackmore scalloped before Yngwie) back in the day. But I always thought scalloped fretboards looked like they'd been eaten by a regiment of extremely disciplined termites.

Mm, I was just curious why it's more pronounced on this one than on any other guitar I've had. But yeah, must be the frets are on the low side. I mean, it's got Grover tuners and a TOM. That's usually sturdy enough.

Ah, the scalloped necks! I could never be arsed to filter out why from all the other bollocks Yngwie spouted (I know Blackmore scalloped before Yngwie) back in the day. But I always thought scalloped fretboards looked like they'd been eaten by a regiment of extremely disciplined termites.

the more noticeable changes in pitch would probably be in direct relation to the height of the frets. the higher the fret, the more you'll hear a pitch change with aggressive pressure on the fret board.

and I agree, the scalloped neck would never work for most humans.. those guys are really not human..

Archived