Gibson Brands Forums

All white dove again

blindboygrunt

I heard your post. And liked it

Β 

The point is , its an example of a Gibson guitar .

I'll not be buying her album either

Β 

Sheesh

Β 

Agree, it was about the guitar. I wasn't assuming you were a fan of hers (and even if you were, who cares what I or others think? There's plenty of music I like that others can't stand!) Either way, I guess I just felt the need to comment that I couldn't get through the video. I was being nice by only commenting on the music negatively, and not saying what I really thought about the guitar...that thing is ugly and didnt think it sounded all that great either.

Lent it maybe?

Β 

It's the reissue '58 or '59 ES 335 that's got my attention I'm afraid. Can't tell which it is, because I'm not sure whether I see binding or not. I'd take that over a white Dove any day.

Β 

Β 

It has binding, so it's a '59. I have a '59 Historic from the Nashville custom shop (A99XXX serial number), and it's a seriously good guitar (the other in this pic is my 1968 ES 335-12):

Β 

ES335sisters.jpg

It has binding, so it's a '59. I have a '59 Historic from the Nashville custom shop (A99XXX serial number), and it's a seriously good guitar (the other in this pic is my 1968 ES 335-12):

Β 

ES335sisters.jpg

Β 

Yes Nick, your rare red '59 Historic has been high on my jealousy list for years now. But I'd settle for one of the 2016 '58 reissues. I really like the unbound neck thing, with cream dots on rolled rosewood.

Β 

I couldn't tell if that was binding or not in the video: the binding on the all-white Dove was much more defined.

Yes Nick, your rare red '59 Historic has been high on my jealousy list for years now. But I'd settle for one of the 2016 '58 reissues. I really like the unbound neck thing, with cream dots on rolled rosewood.

Β 

I couldn't tell if that was binding or not in the video: the binding on the all-white Dove was much more defined.

Β 

Β 

I had to watch the video all the way through (painful) before I got a shot that was clear enough to say it was a bound neck. The binding on the '59 is really very thin compared to that on the Dove, or to that on Gibson acoustics I have with a bound neck.

Β 

I like the '58 Historics too, but they weren't out there when I got mine.

No, I'll not be buying her album either. But, because I don't like that genre - not because she doesn't have a ton of talent. Great guitar strummer, great singer.

But - not the song. Reminds me of a rising 'Country Western" female star who is popular because she doesn't sing about 'Beer, Dogs and Pickup Trucks and Jail and Mamma'. But instead, white wine, the meaning of life and getting in touch with your feelings. Probably a verse or two about Pinterest now and then.

Β 

I can't see criticizing someone who's made an album - when I haven't. It's like 'sour grapes' - sort of like being a sore loser.

But -to digress back to BBG's actual reason for posting this - I prefer naturals and bursts - but if I had to choose.....I much prefer the look of all black guitars over white. But they show fingerprints. And I've yet to learn how to eat Fish Tacos without getting fingerprints all over everything. I guess, after thinking about it - I'd like a gray guitar more than black or white.

Hair Styles? I didn't see any. But I'd be curious to see what their shoes looked like. Toe-less Keds?

I much prefer the look of all black guitars over white.

Β 

In most cases I'd agree, but I think a white Gibson Les Paul Custom can look as good as a Black Beauty, and I think that there is a reason why Gretsch put the White Falcon out years before the Black Falcon. The Black Falcon is just another reasonably cool black guitar. The White Falcon is rock 'n' roll.

Never really considered it much before, but - once again - the forum helps us think within new vistas. Having now thought about it, it seems like 'anything goes' is my expectation for solid bodies, and I really don't get much negative inclination from that. Acoustics are another matter. I like black, but agree about the finger smudges. White seems like a stretch - maybe if it were transparent, it wouldn't seem so much like a bathroom fixture. Guess 'burst and natural will always be my favorites. And I still believe that hiding the look of honest wood is tasteless at best.

Archived