Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting situation....guitarless!

J-200 Koa

For the first time in a long time, I find myself without a guitar. I had decided to keep only one of my Gibsons and sell the other. A prospective buyer brought along a friend with him. The buyer bought the "for sale" guitar. Long story short, the friend "made me an offer I couldn't refuse" on my keeper.

I have played primarily Gibson Super Jumbos for the past few years and have really enjoyed them. My question is: since I can now choose any model I want, what would be a recommended choice of the Gibson faithful here? I am considering a Luthier's Choice AJ if I can locate one but would be open to most anything other than a small body.

Thanks in advance

Well, I certainly got my favorites. However, in order to give you a sincere and honest answer I got to say this----Play the guitars that interest you and pick the one you feel makes a connection with you. As you and I both know, "you" are the only one who can decide which Gibby is best for you at this point. I've got two very sweet ones at the moment, but I still envy the playing and shopping you are about to do.

Well, I've certainly got my favorites. However, in order to give you a sincere and honest answer I've got to say this----Play the guitars that interest you and pick the one you feel makes a connection with you. As you and I both know, "you" are the only one who can decide which Gibby is best for you at this point. I've got two very sweet ones at the moment, but I still envy the playing and shopping you are about to do.

I'd try a Dove post-haste. If you like the vibe of the SJ but want a slightly different flavour, a Dove has the punch and thump you're use to but with a different slant on the tone-in other words, you won't have to alter your playing too much to suit the guitar, but you'll be able to explore different dynamics.

Acousticat: Thanks for the lead!

Guitarstrummer: The J-200 Koa is the one I reluctantly sold for a lot more than I paid for it! I am already regretting it.

Jinder: I had a Dove a few years ago but I would probably opt for another SJ-200 over a Dove. The Dove just seemed like a muted SJ-200 to my ears.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I am currently investigating a rosewood-bodied SJ-200. The Luthier's Choice is seemingly very hard to come by.

Archived