Gibson Guitar Board: Received my 2017 Firebird NOT HAPPY!!! - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Received my 2017 Firebird NOT HAPPY!!!

#1 User is offline   norcalpiper 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

I decided to FINALLY by a firebird after years of pondering (I'm mostly an SG player).
Received it...completely unset up. I'm not too bad at adjusting, but nothing is fixing this buzz..i guess I'll have to take it in to set up, but DAMN I wish they would have dobe something before it left the bench!! Nothing is worse than looking at a guitar you cant play!!!

#2 User is offline   bigtim 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Don't feel bad. Mine got here 2 days ago and was not set up either. If it had been, it would not have been to my liking either. I enjoy making them play better and bringing them around. I had buzzing too but with new strings, it is exaggerated quite a bit on the buzz. Just take your time. You can do it!!
Paranoid Redneck Here ...............Stay away from that Gibson Acoustic room!!! Those Educated Commies in there will get you!!!

Gibson Firebird Standard

Check out my tunes

http://www.reverbnation.com/timh73

#3 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

I got two new Gibsons last week and both had issues, not just set ups. My SG CM Black has a nut hanging off the side of the neck by a few millimeters and my Flying V has a major grounding issue. Be glad it is only a set up. On the other hand, contact Gibson and let them know your thoughts and leave a review with the store you bought it at. The only way that we as consumers can get a change made is to be heard.

#4 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

Does it just need a truss rod adjustment?
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#5 User is offline   norcalpiper 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

Took to luthier. Neck has a twist!!! Zzounds is going to replace, so I'll update once it arrives. I am sooooo bummed!

#6 User is online   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostMegafrog, on 10 March 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

I got two new Gibsons last week and both had issues, not just set ups. My SG CM Black has a nut hanging off the side of the neck by a few millimeters and my Flying V has a major grounding issue. Be glad it is only a set up. On the other hand, contact Gibson and let them know your thoughts and leave a review with the store you bought it at. The only way that we as consumers can get a change made is to be heard.

People have complained for decades, and it has done nothing. If a guitar is that bad, all you can do to get them to hear is to return it. That's all they listen to.

rct

#7 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

View Postrct, on 11 March 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

People have complained for decades, and it has done nothing. If a guitar is that bad, all you can do to get them to hear is to return it. That's all they listen to.

rct

I have Gibson doing warranty work on them. Hopefully I will have them back next week. I suspect they listen to that too since they are paying for the fixes.

#8 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hopefully you'll get a good one.
On my 2014 I had to enlarge the nut slots a little bit for the 10s that I use, go over the fret ends with some fine steel wool as they were a bit on the sharp side and a truss rod adjustment or two.
Once I did that it's just perfect.
This one will not be for sale.

#9 User is offline   Rick 

• 1, 2, 6, 9!
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

My 2017 Gibson Explorer "sweats" in the sun.
I left it two minutes in the warm sun (16°C). Then, I came back and found it covered by a haze, like the moisture that appears on a window, when lots of people are in the inside of the room, and it's damn cold in the outside.

The answer? "they're fingerprints. Polish the guitar with a polish, or bring the guitar to a luthier with a polishing machine".
To me, it's more like wet woods, drying in the warm weather.

Riccardo

« Ma che cosa vi credete di essere, vacca troia? Pazzi? Davvero? Invece no. E invece no. Voi non siete pił pazzi della media dei coglioni che vanno in giro per la strada, ve lo dico io. »[/size]

#10 User is offline   norcalpiper 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

So my replacement arrived today. Looks incredible, but again, there is no factory setup, so the strings are way high and when i lower--buzzzzzzzz. Going to GC in an hour. I'll update.

#11 User is offline   norcalpiper 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

OK....this time the nut was filed too low. Wrf is wrong with Gibson??? My whole life with Gibson has been a crap shoot if I had to order online. This isnt the first time I've had to send Gibson's back more than once.
I actually think this may fall under warranty, so I may just do that instead of a 3rd replacement which will probably not be good also...

#12 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

Gibson quality is an oxymoron this year and last.

#13 User is offline   WadeR 

• Explorer state of mind
  • LocationAustin, TX Area

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

I can understand receiving a new guitar that needs to be set up. I believe that all guitars, new and old, need to be set up for the specific player anyway. I have had brand new guitars that seemed to have a decent default set up (still not to my liking, but that is expected) and some that seemed "raw" from a set up perspective. I think that this should be expected if you are getting a guitar factory direct (untouched by a dealer's tech).

This business about having a nut that has been filed too low from the factory is not acceptable. I would have someone check the overall setup including neck relief and bridge height before sending it back with the assumption that the nut slots are too low. (I'm not saying that you didn't.) It should always be the case that they are too high when new so that you can adjust them down. If the nut slots are indeed too low from the factory, that is absolutely a warranty issue, in my opinion. I once had a new guitar with a b-string slot so low that the string sat directly on the first fret (not Gibson). How did that pass quality control? I just made a new nut for it myself, but this should never have to be done for a new guitar.

#14 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:44 AM

It could be as simple as adding a small amount of neck relief with a small relaxation of the truss rod.
I had to do that on my Lucille to get the buzz out of the B string on the second and third frets.
I did have to enlarge the nut slots on my Firebird when I went up to 10s but that only took a few swipes with a welding tip file assortment.

#15 User is online   sparquelito 

• Tourette's Syndrome Sufferer
  • LocationNorthern Alabama

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

:mellow:

Posted Image
Am I alone in this?

Am I alone?

#16 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:21 AM

And I always though SGs were evil due to the devil horns.

#17 User is offline   norcalpiper 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Bad news on #2. GC called me in today and have determined a slight tongue hump, so despite the new bone bridge, the E&A cant be set up without major fret work. Getting sent back tomorrow and hopefully 3rd time is the charm....

#18 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

View Postnorcalpiper, on 26 March 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Bad news on #2. GC called me in today and have determined a slight tongue hump, so despite the new bone bridge, the E&A cant be set up without major fret work. Getting sent back tomorrow and hopefully 3rd time is the charm....

That stinks! I feel for you. Hopefully #3 is a hit.

#19 User is offline   EADES 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

I sent 6 back till I got one that was perfect

#20 User is offline   Ed Pitts 

• LocationPinson

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

View Postnorcalpiper, on 10 March 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

I decided to FINALLY by a firebird after years of pondering (I'm mostly an SG player).
Received it...completely unset up. I'm not too bad at adjusting, but nothing is fixing this buzz..i guess I'll have to take it in to set up, but DAMN I wish they would have dobe something before it left the bench!! Nothing is worse than looking at a guitar you cant play!!!

I bleed for you. I had a buzz in my new Hummingbird. They had a hard time getting it out so I just accepted another Hummingbird. It was set up while I waited so I could be sure there was no buzz. I am a happy camper.
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Hummingbird Figured Mahogany Limited edition 1 of 50
1968 Gibson EB0 Bass (bought in 1968)
1968 Kustom 100 Bass amp (bought new in 1968)
Peavey Classic 50 212 tweed amp
1997 Gibson Hummingbird
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster
1999 ES-175 D Mint closet queen (for sale)
1967 ES-330 TD (Sold)
Takamine EG-541SC
Old Kay A style mandolin
Samick Greg Bennett Resonator
Washburn D100s Acoustic

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users