Gibson Brands Forums

Can you tell the difference ?

brc

001_zpsf762db63.jpg

Here are four different guitars, four different base coats (types of paint for the color coat ) and different types of clear coats.

Which guitar stands out to you, ( not so much the color, but the finish and gloss.

One of the guitars was painted over 35 years ago, and its holding up great.

002_zps16e9f5cb.jpg

Here is a better pic. of the Telecaster.

The first pic. made it look like it had a matte finish

Fender necks can be swapped of course, but I think 1982 or earlier is still the era of 21-fret necks. Given the hassle of changing necks, I'd choose one of the 21-fretters as more likely to be 35+ years old. So I'm with Pip on this one: the red Strat.

You are right Rabs,

The black Telecaster was painted in 1981 with acrylic lacquer, base and clear coat

The black Stratocaster was painted about 2009 with a water base paint for the base coat, and a polyethylene clear coat.

The red Stratocaster was painted with nitro cellulose for the color coat, with nitro cellulose clear coat. About 2008.

As far as overall gloss, the polyethylene is by far a higher gloss.

The yellow Stratocaster was painted with a Rustoleum spray enamel for the color coat, and a Rustoleum enamel clear top coat. Painted about 2011 .Both spray cans from Home Depot.

I have heard it over and over you can't get a good finish or gloss top coat from a spray enamel, well it is possible. The Rustoleum color is called Sunset yellow. Sold at Home Depot.

The only thing I did not do and should have was install the same type of pickups in all the guitars so the tone qualities could be compared with the different types of paints.

You are right Rabs,

What... YAY :D

lol...

The thing is the reason I chose that one was actually because that was the one that just stood out to me, but because that's the one I liked the look of the most not because I thought it looked odd or anything.. So.. Good stuff man they all look pretty awesome =D>

Archived