Gibson Brands Forums

Good live sound

MorrisrownSal

I had a gig last night, and unlike the week before where we played for about 15 people... the pub was packed. I tried playing with a different live guitar setup last night, and I loved the sound.

In the past I have gigged with my J50 and HD28 (both with K&Ks into a RedEye into the Bose), or a Taylor 214 which I sold. Last night I used my Martin D15 with a Baggs M1a soundhole pup straight into the Bose. I may never play live with anything else.i loved my rhythm presence, and on leads I had good cut as well. I still am a K&k fan, but man I really liked last night. I wish I had a recording but I don't. The D15 is also a much lighter guitar than my HD28... much easier for a long stint.

Anyone else like the Baggs sound hole pups? I almost want to buy an M80, as I heard those are even better.

Sal, do you have a tone match with the Bose? My assumption is your talking a L1 type.

I've found you can really get a very good consistent "tone" with several different PU utilizing the tone match

I use Trance Amulet, fishman Aura , Fishman infinity,

I admit I have not used a sound hole type though, that's why I asked about the tone match.

Buc. still the duet. I am sitting in with the band in two weeks and will see how it goes. I didnt buy an electric yet, as I am unsure of the staying power of this trip. My son has a Gibson Midtown I'll borrow (not crazy about it though). Last night was the Duet...

SJ - we use a tonematch. I think its ok. It has presets like "D28", but lots of this is just marketing. I dont think its the tonematch. I like the sound even more through my Fishman SA220. This Baggs has no feedback, and it's simple, but heck I have heard so much about the Amulets. Duluthdan has a few recordings which I think are crazy good. Id love to hear you do a sample with your trance...

Would love to hear how it sounded Sal.

I used a Baggs M1a but hated the sound as it sounded almost like an electric, very 'magnetic' and not particularly natural.

I even sent it back and they gave me another one but still similar tone.

But i heard vids on youtube where it sounded good, hence would have loved to hear how it came for you.

I reckon the all mahogany D-15 would sound good plugged in nevertheless, i remember my old 00-15 sounded real nice when i put the Fishman rare earth blend on it.

Grunt,

The D15 is my oldest and most special guitar. It has my kids' names inlaid on the fretboard. I've been loathe to ever take it out. About a year ago I made the mistake of trying to drill out the end pin and install a quarter jack; I'd figure I would try it out of the home. I botched it. The pickup is in, although I splintered wood. I've been disgusted with myself since, and just never bothered taking it out because I didn't want to be reminded what a dope I am.

Anyways, the guitar is special. It has a great warm acoustic sound. The pickup sounds great, although I may try the M80.

Gibby... the 15 series are really terrific.

https://imgur.com/9p7a4LX

on my 2005 j-45 i went from the built-in fishman matrix to a K&K pure mini, then finally got a m-1. When I installed the m 1, I had the pure mini and the m-1 wired to a stereo output jack. When I use a normal mono cabel I get the m 1. But I also have a cabel with one strereo jack going to two mono jacks, so I had/ still have the opportunity to hear the pure mini and the m-1 side by side, or even use both signals, which I actually never do, cause compared to the m-1 I, the pure mini sounds flat and liveless , and it adds nothing to the signal, so why bothering with two output signals.

What I really like about the m-1 is, that its so dynamic, it reacts very sensitive to the dynamics in your playing.

Sometimes when I read praises on the pure mini I think mine is installed wrong or something.

Whatever, I use my m-1 and it sounds good to me, even better since I got the fishman aura DI, thanks to all the gear talk here.

so, Sal, please don't get the m-80 and tell me its better than the m-1, otherwise I have to get that one to and my kids won't get proper meals for a month or so.... ](*,):rolleyes:

I had a gig last night, and unlike the week before where we played for about 15 people... the pub was packed. I tried playing with a different live guitar setup last night, and I loved the sound.

In the past I have gigged with my J50 and HD28 (both with K&Ks into a RedEye into the Bose), or a Taylor 214 which I sold. Last night I used my Martin D15 with a Baggs M1a soundhole pup straight into the Bose. I may never play live with anything else.i loved my rhythm presence, and on leads I had good cut as well. I still am a K&k fan, but man I really liked last night. I wish I had a recording but I don't. The D15 is also a much lighter guitar than my HD28... much easier for a long stint.

Anyone else like the Baggs sound hole pups? I almost want to buy an M80, as I heard those are even better.

Yep, the HD-28 is a bit of a boat anchor, but they sound so good. I've tried selling mine a couple times, then have pulled it out of it's case and strummed a few chords, and even though it doesn't get played all the time, it sure is a satisfyingly rich and lush sounding guitar!

Interested in your M1a experience. I used to have an M80 and never cared for it. Too sensitive, bright and metallic sounding for my ear. Was a very hot pickup. Not natural at all, but then again, there aren't many acoustic pickups in general that sound all that natural as opposed to a mic or an internal mic, but then you have major feedback concerns, etc. I'm a fan of the Lyric, but that's only for really intimate solo stuff, where you need to be amplified louder than nothing at all, but not so loud that feedback is a concern or you're playing with a full band. I've toyed with the idea of actually trying an M1a.

The M1A is better than the M80. For a few years the Baggs R&D department threw feedback resistance as a criterion out of the window for pickups, which resulted in the Lyric (great sound if you want 10% louder than acoustic volume, utter feedback hell if you want more, especially with the Lyric Classical-I've owned and gigged with both) and the M80 (all the good bits of the M1A with no extras beyond horrid feedback propensity)

The M1A and Takamine Tri-Ax (the same pickup in different colours) are a modern classic of pickup design. I'm not generally a soundhole pup player but those are by far the best until you get into Vanden Mimesis territory which is mega bucks.

I really like the Mimesis, as you say nobody really talks about them but they're popular amongst live sessioneers in Europe...a friend of mine uses one of the newer ones with a Dtar Solstice, and reckons the mic in the Mimesis is so articulate and feedback resistant that for smaller gigs he uses the mic as the main signal source and blends in the pickup itself to add texture!

I have the Lyric and M1A. I like the M1A, feedback is never a problem, battery is a non issue, in and out easily (if you don't plug in often), nothing glued to the bridge plate or underneath the saddle. Is it a little metallic? Yes, I guess, it's a humbucker. BTW, I think it makes a little difference to mount it w/o padding on the ears. I did back and forth a few times to prove it. The M80 was no better to my ears.

The Lyric? Jinder is pretty spot on, feedback hell unless you just want a little volume. Even with feedback buster and DI.

I don't plug in often enough nor particular enough to shell out for Trance or similar.

I have the Lyric and M1A. I like the M1A, feedback is never a problem, battery is a non issue, in and out easily (if you don't plug in often), nothing glued to the bridge plate or underneath the saddle. Is it a little metallic? Yes, I guess, it's a humbucker. BTW, I think it makes a little difference to mount it w/o padding on the ears. I did back and forth a few times to prove it. The M80 was no better to my ears.

The Lyric? Jinder is pretty spot on, feedback hell unless you just want a little volume. Even with feedback buster and DI.

I don't plug in often enough nor particular enough to shell out for Trance or similar.

This pretty much nails my experience (had an M80, never had an M1a though, currently have a Lyric in a guitar and also had one in a D28 I sold last year), and currently have a Radial PZ-Pre (perviously owned an LR Baggs Venue, Fishman Aura Spectrum and LR Baggs PADI). I like the Radial and the PADI with the Lyric. Both have very powerful EQ sections that really let you dial out the woof and feedback from the Lyric reducing the risk for feedback dramatically, and prefer doing that over a feedback buster that tends to kill tone because it had such a wide chunk of the frequency spectrum that it affects (even if it has a narrow option), but still will feedback in a loud situation.

Archived