Gibson Brands Forums

How to Spot a Fake...

surfpup

Interesting. The fake he was looking at was pretty obvious though to me, and I think most of us around here. The logo on the headstock is really bad and stands out right away I think. The shape of the headstock is also a dead give away. And the tuners; man, if that doesn't set off some alarms.

But for someone who has no experience, that video would be a good thing to check out.

It's hard to believe that Pawn Shop was selling that for $1800! [-(

I love to check out pawn shops when I can. I got a couple of good guitars there and one was a Gibson Faded V. Probably what happened was that the store owner fell for it, paid way too much for it and is trying to recover his money. Who was it that said that a sucker was born every day? Well, some of them have money.

I would only buy a Gibson from a reputable dealer because I could get fooled. Though even I wouldn't have been taken in by that logo and headstock shape, and thats before turning it over to see the tuners...

I got fooled once, but it wasnt on a Gibson. I was buying some Tokai late at nite and was tired and didnt notice the little mic label. Mic meaning made in china, the difference between a made in china Tokai and their made in japan one is HUGE! The ones made in japan worth 500-1000 easy. The ones made in China are near worthless, i took a big loss. Used to buy trade and sell exclusively les pauls and kinda stopped for awhile after a 2000 dollar loss.

I keep thinking (what has been mentioned before on the forum), this only helps these counterfeit makers churn out better fakes...... but I do agree, it's good to have this information for people who are just totally clueless. one of those catch 22 kind of discussion points.

I guess I sort of sympathize with the pawn shop here, but from the wall of guitars that were hanging up in the background, these shop owners need to bone up so they can spot them right off and not do the deal. In this instance, some one else is just gonna be left holding this guys dirty laundry.

I don't buy a ton of used guitars but when I do, I do what ME does, Only someone trusted,...

I'm pretty sure I could be fooled and most certain of it and with lots of makes of guitars, that's why I buy brand new and never used, at least up to this point anyway.

only 2 of my 20 were bought used, and the last deal was from EM Shorts in 2003.. (they are about as solid as it gets)

But I suppose as these factories make better counterfeits, it's gonna be harder to spot. and easier to get screwed...

ps: your avatar is the bomb!!!

I don't buy from pawn shops on principle. As they are mostly pay-day lenders as well in this country and around 80% of their "clients" are on welfare benefits and/or have mental health issues, I consider their method of operation odious.

As a result, I only purchase from established GC's. Sure I pay a premium (although when I have looked, pawn shop items are usually overpriced in my view) but at one level I am pretty certain I am getting what I pay for.

When the $AU versus $US was favourable, I did purchase a manufacturer refurbished guitar from an international store which clearly stated that was the case and it played and sounded just fine.

However, if people decided to take a risk with purchasing a guitar at a price which may seem to be too good to be true, while I may feel sorry they have "lost" money, I don't have much sympathy for them. That goes for a lot of other matters. If they're prepared to take a risk, it's your decision so I feel they have to accept whatever outcome is the result of that decision.

1489603760[/url]' post='1841779']

only 2 of my 20 were bought used, and the last deal was from EM Shorts in 2003.. (they are about as solid as it gets)

But I suppose as these factories make better counterfeits, it's gonna be harder to spot. and easier to get screwed...

ps: your avatar is the bomb!!!

Thank you Ray. I've been trying to put Ol Hermy Baby up there for some time. Never took, then one day it did by accident. Lol. Actually rethinking my Gibson Gold Top is a used guitar also but brand new if that makes sense. Seems it was in a guitar shop for quite awhile hanging way up there. Never sold so they sent it to G.C. Which told me they had to sell her as a used guitar. Then it was marked down on sale. So I had it taken down and looked it over really good. I couldn't find anything on it that even looked like it was ever played. This guitar was in Mint condition. Looked brand anew. So played it a bit, made them a deal and picked up the GT, amp, several music books, power chord, guitar strap, box of picks and stuff under $2,000.00. The GT listed for $1,400.00 on the tag alone and they thought they had a 2013 model. At my car I was chased down and they wanted to buy it back. "No Sale!" And I drove off. Got home and emailed Gibson with the numbers and they told me it was a Standard which wasn't on the truss rod cover plate and it was a 2007 model made at Gibson that year and sold for $3,445.00 so I thought I made off. Think they just found out and that's why I was chased down in the parking lot. Seems a new employee stuck it up on the wall in the used section with that sale price on. Never saw that guy again. Think they fired him.

1489607490[/url]' post='1841803']

I'm partial to his performance as Judge Chamberlain in "My Cousin Vinny" personally!

Love that show. Watch it whenever I see it on. Also love the Herman Munster that changes into Fred Gwynne and he things he's so disfigured. He was a great actor.

Thank you Ray. I've been trying to put Ol Hermy Baby up there for some time. Never took, then one day it did by accident. Lol. Actually rethinking my Gibson Gold Top is a used guitar also but brand new if that makes sense. Seems it was in a guitar shop for quite awhile hanging way up there. Never sold so they sent it to G.C. Which told me they had to sell her as a used guitar. Then it was marked down on sale. So I had it taken down and looked it over really good. I couldn't find anything on it that even looked like it was ever played. This guitar was in Mint condition. Looked brand anew. So played it a bit, made them a deal and picked up the GT, amp, several music books, power chord, guitar strap, box of picks and stuff under $2,000.00. The GT listed for $1,400.00 on the tag alone and they thought they had a 2013 model. At my car I was chased down and they wanted to buy it back. "No Sale!" And I drove off. Got home and emailed Gibson with the numbers and they told me it was a Standard which wasn't on the truss rod cover plate and it was a 2007 model made at Gibson that year and sold for $3,445.00 so I thought I made off. Think they just found out and that's why I was chased down in the parking lot. Seems a new employee stuck it up on the wall in the used section with that sale price on. Never saw that guy again. Think they fired him.

That reminds me of a saying that my Mother used to say "if it looks to good to be true, it probably isn't"

Ian

Thank you Ray. I've been trying to put Ol Hermy Baby up there for some time.

I was a huge Munsters fan as a kid, then later watching the reruns as an adult (with my son who loved the series) it was obvious how brilliant Fred Gwynne was, cast perfectly for that part. Al Lewis (Grampa) was also a hoot and perfectly cast.

At my car I was chased down and they wanted to buy it back. "No Sale!" And I drove off. Got home and emailed Gibson with the numbers and they told me it was a Standard which wasn't on the truss rod cover plate and it was a 2007 model made at Gibson that year and sold for $3,445.00 so I thought I made off. Think they just found out and that's why I was chased down in the parking lot. Seems a new employee stuck it up on the wall in the used section with that sale price on. Never saw that guy again. Think they fired him.

So they cut you a killer deal, then realized as you were heading out the door they botched it?!! HEY STOP THAT GUY! Don't let him get away! LOL! SWEET!! I love it!!

Archived